2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

Mario who? Jaromir who? Coffey who?  The change in 1980 was driven by MARKETING... and in 2015-16 change in 1980 was driven by MARKETING... not championships...

The Penguins wanted Black and "Pittsburgh" Gold as their colors when they joined the league, the Bruins blocked them from using it until 1980.

Hmmmm... Well...no...dead wrong.

21 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

The Penguins wanted Black and "Pittsburgh" Gold as their colors when they joined the league, the Bruins blocked them from using it until 1980.

Try this...

Pittsburgh's second NHL franchise, the Pittsburgh Penguins, wore blue and white, due to general manager Jack Riley's upbringing in Ontario. In 1979, after the Steelers and Pirates had each won their respective league championships, the Penguins altered their color scheme to match, despite objections from the Boston Bruins.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Doesn't matter. The team was fresh off a two year run as the best team in basketball. They were never more relevant in world of sports, and they ditched a look associated with that success to chase a trend. That's terrible marketing.

Yes but to be fair, plans for the re-brand were probably already in motion before the championships were won. Usually takes a few years to get everything finalized.  Either way, it was a terrible downgrade that should have never happened.

12 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

Hmmmm... Well...no...dead wrong.

Try this...

Pittsburgh's second NHL franchise, the Pittsburgh Penguins, wore blue and white, due to general manager Jack Riley's upbringing in Ontario. In 1979, after the Steelers and Pirates had each won their respective league championships, the Penguins altered their color scheme to match, despite objections from the Boston Bruins.

Boy, you sir are a real treat.  

9 hours ago, M4One said:

The Senators should use more gold.  That would keep them away from comparisons to the Devils or any other team with red and black in their colour scheme.  I'll take the peace tower alternate over what they have now any day of the week.

Ottawa-Senators-Black-Alternate-Third-je

The Binghamton Senators wore something based off them.

9281.jpg

Gold shouldn't be used anywhere other than the logo. As the recently ditched Pens uniforms taught us, metallic gold doesn't translate well to other materials. I don't think adidas would put glitter striping on a jersey. 

Beng the only red and black team to emphasize black over red is enough to stand apart from the Blackhawks/Devils/Hurricanes. Including more gold just makes them look more like the Flames. 

51 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

As an FYI... how many of these teams have changed their jerseys since they won titles? Maybe I shouldn't post this? It will start a 6-month endless debate... ah here goes...

Cavs. Warriors Heat, Spurs, Mavericks, Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Rockets.

Take this NBA bull :censored: to the proper threads.  I don't come in here to talk basketball....

11 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Yes but to be fair, plans for the re-brand were probably already in motion before the championships were won. Usually takes a few years to get everything finalized.  Either way, it was a terrible downgrade that should have never happened.

That's true, but at best it was a terrible coincidence. Win back to back titles and then drop the look associated with that success? That's terrible from a branding perspective.

1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

Of course Morgo... Ice_Cap's argument is out of sequential order and further weakened by the reality that the team

made the switch back to the 1980 update because fans loved the way it

looked, even more than the 2 Cups they won in that design. But sometimes people don't like to listen to reason?

Look dude, I don't know you enough to care to make this personal. And that seems to be what you intend on making it. 

And you seem confused. What exactly are you bringing up the 1980 switch for? The team changed it to associate the team with the success of the Pirates and Steelers. Yep. We all know that. What's your point?

I can tell you what my point is. That the Pens' success with back to back Cups made that look popular enough to bring back full time. 

The Kings' throwbacks, on the other hand, weren't. So that's why they'll never go back to purple and gold full time. 

15 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Boy, you sir are a real treat.  

Sorry you feel that way but when you can support an opinion with accurate background and facts... it shortens these mindless debates. 

FYI. Google is such a useful way to substantiate fact from fiction -- which often can run roughshod in this Forum. 

If...

I think...

From what I heard...

Ugh.

Just now, NeverSayNever said:

Sorry you feel that way but when you can support an opinion with accurate background and facts... it shortens these mindless debates. 

FYI. Google is such a useful way to substantiate fact from fiction -- which often can run roughshod in this Forum. 

Yes, it is the FACTS that bother me about your posts...

2 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

Well to be fair, the Penguins would have won the Cup in athletic gold and black if they had won game 5 at home.  It's not like it was a completely unused color scheme that season.

So not the point. Point is these team's won their titles in jerseys that would be retired the following season so Ice_Cap's point is not valid... 

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.07.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.08.05 AM.png

These changes were being scheduled before hand. You can't just decide to not go with a change because of success when you already have so much sunk cost in the rebrand. If anything it now allows you to double dip benefiting from the old winning stuff and the brand new stuff both selling.

13 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

If a poster can provide some evidence of background and facts to support an opinion why not embrace that versus spewing half-truths and opinion-laden urban legend? 

You're not getting it. The problems people have your posts in this topic are...

The fact that you keep posting that Calgary Flames concept. We all saw it the first time. You don't need to remind us of it. 

That for as much as you are going on about facts? Your own arguments are rambly and nonsensical. There are bits and pieces of logic that can be picked out, but you seem prone to tangents. Some of which directly contradict earlier points you've attempted to make.

And then when people don't agree with you? You play the condescending "well I've got facts on my side" card. Which is more comical than insulting in this case, because no one's sure what points you're trying to make anyway.

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That for as much as you are going on about facts? Your own arguments are rambly and nonsensical. There are bits and pieces of logic that can be picked out, but you seem prone to tangents. Some of which directly contradict earlier points you've attempted to make.

And then when people don't agree with you? You play the condescending "well I've got facts on my side" card. Which is more comical than insulting in this case, because no one's sure what points you're trying to make anyway.

I'm not looking for your approval nor acceptance... not in the least bit... you're ignorant to points you yourself made on teams who changed uniforms after winning a championship and you were wrong in your responses.

Fact: Les Alexander bought the Rockets July 1993 for $85 million. One of his first moves was to ask Chris Hill, from Houston to design the new logo (which Hill botched big time and blamed the NBA, had a friend who said the NBA had to come in and try and salvage the logo) ... In his first two seasons as owner (1993–94 and 1994–95), the Rockets won back-to-back World Championships (Thank you Birmingham Barons) anchored by Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon but the work on the new Rockets identity was done. The owner was told he would have to pay for all the new merchandise already produced and ready to be shipped which amounted to ten of thousands of dollars...

So on the Rockets, they could have stayed with their current Wendy's look (1994-95) which sucked... but didn't because that identity only became attractive when they won two titles IN LARGE PART TO JORDAN RETIRING... Go ahead argue that point...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/revealing-article-about-the-politics-behind-the-last-logo-design-good-read.62766/

Alexander bought the Rockets in July 1993 for $85 million. In his first two seasons as owner (1993–94 and 1994–95), the Rockets won back to back World Championships anchored by Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon.

Archived