2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

7 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

I'm trying to get into hockey. Who should I like? I don't wanna front run w/ the Caps or Blackhawks. I was looking at Boston, Vancouver(can you be a Canucks fan as a US american?), St.Louis, New Jersey, Pittsburgh. I live in CA but not down w/ local teams. 

Are any of these guys getting new unis next year so I know to hold off? Are any up and coming teams? My wife likes the Canucks uni and my daughters like the Blues, Redwings unis.

I'm a Packers owner, Braves fan, Celtics fan(more of an 80s hate for the Lakers and haven't watched bball since 1993 other than a couple of game 7s of the finals)

Sports is ultimately about fun, and all justification for fan allegiance is silly. Even when you're cheering for the local team. So no worries. Whoever you end up picking? Have a great time :D I've been a fan my whole life (not that I had much of a choice being Canadian) so I'll try to help you out.

In terms of new uniforms...

Vancouver- There have been rumours that the team will introduce an alternate using the fan-favourite Johnny Canuck logo, but they're just rumours at the moment. The team's current orca primary doesn't seem that popular, but management seems committed to it. 

Boston- No real news at the moment. The team recently participated in the annual Winter Classic, wearing a fauxback based on the team's original sweater. It may or may not become a regular alternate.

St. Louis- No changes.

New Jersey- No changes.

Pittsburgh- The team recently unveiled a throwback to their early 90s back to back Cup winning sweater to use as an alternate, and it's been hugely popular amongst the Penguins fans. Rumour has it that they're gearing up to switch to the throwback look full-time sooner or later.

In terms of who to root for...

Vancouver- There's no reason you can't root for them as an American. And they're on the west coast! It might not be a bad time to hop on the bandwagon, as they seem to have shed their insufferable image from a few years back. Plus you get to sidestep all the riot trash talk as an out of town fan.

Boston- There's some continuity with the Celtics, so that helps. They were annual Cup contenders for a few years before stumbling a bit recently, but they seem to have righted the ship. 

St. Louis- Great uniforms and a pretty storied history. Sadly they've never been able to win the Cup despite all of their past success. Currently known for their one-and-done playoff exits.

New Jersey- They used to be really good, dominating the league with the most boring brand of hockey there is. Now they're just sort of there.

Pittsburgh- The team of the one of the league's two most marketable talents. This team's kind of tragic. They made it to the Finals in 2008 and lost to Detroit, but won it all in 2009 after beating Detroit. Still? This is a team that's been loaded with talent for the better part of a decade and it seems like they should have accomplished more than they have. Still not a bad choice though. The biggest mark against them would be their dull black and khaki Reebok template uniforms, but they just might be dumping those for their superior black and gold back-to-back Cup era look from the early 90s.

Given what you're looking for? I would recommend Vancouver, Boston, or Pittsburgh. Nothing against St. Louis or New Jersey, but they're just not going to "wow" anyone new to the sport. I would say Pittsburgh beyond a shadow of a doubt if they do pull the trigger on that uniform change.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, McCarthy said:

White jerseys at the Penguins Fantasy Camp

Media preview

I'd love to see these comeback with some amendments to that hem stripe to better match the black jersey. What's with the razor thin yellow stripe hanging out in the middle of space?

I thought Mario hated yellow? 

The hemstripes from the 1992 white jersey, combined with the design of the rest of the above white jersey, would be perfect:

Penguins24.png

(Unrelated note: is it me, or are the white shoulder yolks extraordinarily large on that white fantasy camp jersey above?)

6 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The hemstripes from the 1992 white jersey, combined with the design of the rest of the above white jersey, would be perfect:

Penguins24.png

(Unrelated note: is it me, or are the white shoulder yolks extraordinarily large on that white fantasy camp jersey above?)

Maybe unpopular opinion, but i love those 2 jerseys, I find them superior to the early 90´s skating pen design

9 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

Just  a random thought. Credits to Mr. Andrew Greenstein for the graphics.

6clUXcC.jpg

Put the "C" logo and numbers in white, outlined in black and yellow, and you'd really have a great uniform. That design would bring a better color balance to the jersey - right now, I think the black-on-red design is a little too dark.

Still not sure they would ever top these throwbacks though:

0315-cgy-retro14.jpg?format=750w

1 minute ago, kroywen said:

Put the "C" logo and numbers in white, outlined in black and yellow, and you'd really have a great uniform. That design would bring a better color balance to the jersey - right now, I think the black-on-red design is a little too dark.

Still not sure they would ever top these throwbacks though:

0315-cgy-retro14.jpg?format=750w

Those are :censored:ing amazing (original jersey, without tail) they look like they literally are on fire ! 

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

Yeah except for the colours, striping pattern, logos, socks and wait... what's left?  Is it because they both used angular shoulder yokes?  Angular shoulder yokes that weren't even the same shape, outlined in the same striping pattern, or even consistent from home to road?  I'm a little confused about this comparison... 

I never said they were exactly the same, i said they were a rip off which they are. The entire template is almost exactly the same. So the shoulder yokes are a bit curved, who cares it's the same look, straight hem stripes, angles arm stripes and angled shoulder yokes. Of course the logos and colors aren't the same, i never said they were, since when do different teams have the same logo? It's like tampa ripping of detroits look, it may not be exactly the same but it's close enough for everyone here to bash it, and i actually like floridas 90's look but if you cant see that they lifted the whole thing just one year after the penguins started using thier robopen unis well what can i say.   

5 hours ago, kroywen said:

think it's because they're not wearing shoulder pads.

57 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

think it's because they're not wearing shoulder pads.

It's also not an Edge cut so the panels would be different sizes compared to the black one.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:26 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

I'm trying to get into hockey. Who should I like? I don't wanna front run w/ the Caps or Blackhawks. I was looking at Boston, Vancouver(can you be a Canucks fan as a US american?), St.Louis, New Jersey, Pittsburgh. I live in CA but not down w/ local teams. 

Are any of these guys getting new unis next year so I know to hold off? Are any up and coming teams? My wife likes the Canucks uni and my daughters like the Blues, Redwings unis.

I'm a Packers owner, Braves fan, Celtics fan(more of an 80s hate for the Lakers and haven't watched bball since 1993 other than a couple of game 7s of the finals)

The fact that you had to word that as "who should I like" lets you know exactly what is flawed with that. You don't pick your team. You watch and eventually realize you've developed an affinity for one team over another. You don't arbitrarily decide "Okay, this is the team I will develop a passion for."

That said, you should be a Canucks fan.

28 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The fact that you had to word that as "who should I like" lets you know exactly what is flawed with that. You don't pick your team. You watch and eventually realize you've developed an affinity for one team over another. You don't arbitrarily decide "Okay, this is the team I will develop a passion for."

Well I had it narrowed to those 5 by watching games this week. The Minnesota fan got me to watch the Sharks, by saying go local. That was an exciting game today. So was the Pit/Van game. 

I more or less wanted a breakdown of teams that are on the decline vs on the rise w/o front running. Also this the place to go if I need to know about a team changing unis/logos next year as to not buy stuff that will be dated by oct.

Still, when I was 9 I liked the Flyers, there were 0 games on, I picked them b/c they were playing the Islanders on the table top hockey game my grandma bought me. In 1996 I was at my cousin's and he had the Colorado Avalanche on, I said who are they, he said "the Quebec Nor-dorks moved." I said cool I like them. Asking for help from you guys is a step up from those 2 reasons.

On 1/22/2016 at 4:26 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

If there's a player you like I'd suggest rooting for his team. It makes watching that team more bearable.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

12 hours ago, kroywen said:

P6dCkvr.jpg

S/O this time to the mothership.

6 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Depends on his rioting skills, and you have to break glass and be in and out of a store in 60 seconds or less to qualify.

13 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

Well I had it narrowed to those 5 by watching games this week. The Minnesota fan got me to watch the Sharks, by saying go local. That was an exciting game today. So was the Pit/Van game. 

I more or less wanted a breakdown of teams that are on the decline vs on the rise w/o front running. Also this the place to go if I need to know about a team changing unis/logos next year as to not buy stuff that will be dated by oct.

Still, when I was 9 I liked the Flyers, there were 0 games on, I picked them b/c they were playing the Islanders on the table top hockey game my grandma bought me. In 1996 I was at my cousin's and he had the Colorado Avalanche on, I said who are they, he said "the Quebec Nor-dorks moved." I said cool I like them. Asking for help from you guys is a step up from those 2 reasons.

If you have a taste for losing, mismanagement and false hope then may I humbly suggest my Edmonton Oilers? We have the next big thing in the NHL but he broke his clavicle almost three months ago, and before that we had three straight first overall picks, only one of which has matured into a star. We've had a great past and a great future for about 8 years now! Who doesn't want that?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On January 23, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Maybe it will come back, but not any time soon.

Your mind's already made up, that's why. You've decided that this look, that the team won't be adopting, is superior and you haven't even seen what they have in store.

Look, maybe the new Panthers stuff is garbage. That could very well be the case. I'm just trying to stay open minded about it because the alternative is to go "it's not the inaugural set? Well it SUCKS!" Which isn't a productive line of conversation.

Granted, no one has seen the finished product but with all the leaked info and mockups, it feels like we have...  Maybe they will pull this off masterfully and top their inaugural look but the recent track record of modern teams going retro is not a good one.  One only has to look at teams like Hurricanes and Lightning for confirmation, as every bit of character was sucked out of their respective identities.  Thus far, it feels like the Panthers will be the latest casualty.

Archived