2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, dont care said:

I doubt many people care in apre season game

Those designs are so radically different, that it would be ok...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Because a logo stuck in a 70s timewarp and representative of a fifty+ year Cup drought wasn't worth keeping around ;)

And a racist penny-pinching asshat of an owner.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The simplified maple leaf was fine, it was the Kabel that had to go. This new old leaf is okay, but the whole package is a mess: jersey stripes and numerals just different enough to make you buy the new ones end up looking like bargain-bin knockoffs. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Really confused on why you're lumping the Sabres in with Vancouver 

Three major changes since 1970, and only two(three if you count navy and royal as different) isn't nearly as much as Vancouver. And with the current set, only tweaks from here. 

Yes, but they were major changes, in different directions, not even all that linked thematically. They were all in a relatively short amount of time, and were so recent that they stick out in memory.

An identity crisis is a fair way of putting it. The current set is great, but that doesn't change the fact that they spent more than half of the last 20 years in a steady aesthetic decline, before finally returning to a look that never should have been abandoned, in the first place.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, TorinK92 said:

White V White causes isues with pretty much everyone also

Before my knee surgery, I played goalie. There was one game where both teams had on red jerseys at a charity event. We were red with forest green accents, and the other team was red with blue accents. In motion, they looked ridiculously similar, especially when your focus is on the puck. It was the most harrowing game I ever played.

I just think that hockey is too fast-paced to not have the teams easily distinguishable from each other, visually. Baseball could do it, but any sport with the potential to pass to the other team is going to have issues.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

killit.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Varly is a mess.   Helmet from last year (with the 20th anniversary logo), glove from his Russia gear, and then new Avs pads...

cut.jpeg

Matches that dumpster fire of a jersey perfectly.  Looks even worse than usual from that angle.  Just kill it already.

It's barely better than their trash home and away. If they go to a new jersey they can do better than that alternate. (Hint: look to the past. Why is this hard?)

I just really hate that big white yoke and I find the logo uninspired and easy. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It's barely better than their trash home and away. If they go to a new jersey they can do better than that alternate. (Hint: look to the past. Why is this hard?)

I just really hate that big white yoke and I find the logo uninspired and easy. 

I'm not saying its better than their original sweater, but its MUCH better than their current home.

And based on marketing and graphics around the team, they are definitely changing to that look more and more.  

I think that if the Avs went with burgundy equipment and ditched the flag patch I'd be okay with that as a full time look... Obviously there are a lot more things that need to be done to make it better, but...

Also, I think that NHL teams have to wear a jersey 12-15 times for it to be counted as an alt. The Avs are wearing theirs only 14 times. I know Minnesota is wearing there's 15 times this year, and have before, and it's still only an alt.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived