2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

On 11/1/2016 at 0:16 PM, hockey week said:

I do think that a city has some right to the sports history that happened there, though. Maybe this plays into the identity vs franchise thing, maybe not. 

The city of Winnipeg should be able to celebrate the old Jets and the new Jets, even though the old Jets are in Arizona, Bobby Hull still played in Winnipeg. But he also played for the team that moved to Arizona, so it's appropriate for him to be celebrated in both places. 

Both the city AND the team have the right to celebrate their history. Winnipeg AND the former Jets can celebrate the history. Atlanta and the Flames can celebrate their history. Minnesota AND the [North] Stars can celebrate their history. 

I don't see the two as needing to overlap or needing to intersect...they're like skew lines. They never touch, because they're not in the same plane.

1-4-segments-rays-parallel-lines-and-pla

yeah both can celebrate I guess, it just comes off as disingenuous or like "manufactured nostalgia."

With the case of Hull, he never played in Arizona and never wore a Coyotes sweater. That ownership group is obviously not the one from Winnipeg either. At least if the current Jets were to honor him, you have the fact that he played in the City and for the team with the Jets identity, even if it technically wasnt that franchise, then I could give them a pass. 

However I'm still a stickler about getting credit for championships your franchise didn't actually win that another franchise that happened to play in that City and with that identity won.  This would be the case of the Browns and Senators. Not so for teams like Raiders who moved but then came back (and who will likely move again apparently.) 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2016 at 0:16 PM, hockey week said:

the old Jets and the new Jets

not in the same plane.

I see what you did there B)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The more I see those Bluejackets thirds the more I love them.

I don't love them as much as ointments and scented bath oils, but pretty damn close.

29cw583.jpg

That may be because their regulars are soooo bad. But yes i would agree they're decent.

4 hours ago, BrianLion said:

With the case of Hull, he never played in Arizona and never wore a Coyotes sweater.

Hull.jpg2004-08-11-hull-ins.jpg

Hull never wore a 'Yotes jersey? :)

Just giving you a hard time, I know you were talking about his father. Pretty cool they presented him with his dads number at the press conference. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

9 hours ago, worcat said:

Hull.jpg2004-08-11-hull-ins.jpg

Hull never wore a 'Yotes jersey? :)

Just giving you a hard time, I know you were talking about his father. Pretty cool they presented him with his dads number at the press conference. 

When Brett signed with the Coyotes Bobby requested #9 be unretired so his son could wear it. Brett wore #16 for preseason and the first two (road) games of the regular season. Prior to the home opener he switched to #9 and wore it for the next three games before calling it a career.

CY1e2d9.jpg

Somewhere along the line the two numbers retired (9 & 25) when the team was still in Winnipeg were changed to honoured numbers and have since been reissued by the Coyotes in recent years.

That "Coyotes unretire 9 for Bobby's son" story would be way cooler if they hadn't given Mike Ricci a #9 jersey at his introductory press conference too. The Coyotes didn't really consider 9 retired until they needed a good headline for Brett's signing.

Only reason Ricci never wore 9 in a game is because he changed his mind and decided to honor Pat Tillman instead.

6 hours ago, Danny said:

When Brett signed with the Coyotes Bobby requested #9 be unretired so his son could wear it. Brett wore #16 for preseason and the first two (road) games of the regular season. Prior to the home opener he switched to #9 and wore it for the next three games before calling it a career.

CY1e2d9.jpg

Somewhere along the line the two numbers retired (9 & 25) when the team was still in Winnipeg were changed to honoured numbers and have since been reissued by the Coyotes in recent years.

That's an outstanding uniform match-up... It would be cool to see Arizona throwback to that this year, considering it's their 20th anniversary.

(Also the Wild, for their 20th, in a few years :D)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 hours ago, daniel75 said:

That may be because their regulars are soooo bad. But yes i would agree they're decent.

Yeah I am gonna say that the jackets have one of the most boring. Identities in sports along with the Tampa Bay Rays and New England Patriots

Might have been a nice opportunity for blue vs red again if the hawks went with the red version of that, but overall nice. 

The problem with the hawks is they've been in too many outdoor games. This one isn't much different from last years. 

Blues shirt for me is amazing, I have no complaints.

Blackhawks? It's probably a fauxback not a retro, but I hoped for something like this (white one):

Blackhawks16.png

or a red jeresy.

I hope Blackhawks won't have any outdoor games for at least 3 years, because their uniforms need a break.

4r2eer.png

16 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I realize the Blackhawks have a classic look, and there's not much you can do to improve it, but that jersey is way too similar to the last two they unveiled. 

You can only throwback so many times...

I mean, eventually teams will just use whatever alternate fauxback they didn't use. I.E. use the 60's red instead of the white. Hopefully the NHL can prevent this for awhile by giving other teams a chance. Or maybe go with futuristic designs? *shutters at that idea*

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 minute ago, worcat said:

I mean, eventually teams will just use whatever alternate fauxback they didn't use. I.E. use the 60's red instead of the white. Hopefully the NHL can prevent this for awhile by giving other teams a chance. Or maybe go with futuristic designs? *shutters at that idea*

I'd have gone for the white sweater shown higher up on the page.

I also would have scheduled the Winter Classic to be a "Class of '67" game, with the Blues playing the Kings, Flyers, or Penguins. Blue vs. Yellow (which could work for the Kings or Penguins) or Blue vs. Orange would have pretty good match-ups. 

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd have gone for the white sweater shown higher up on the page.

I also would have scheduled the Winter Classic to be a "Class of '67" game, with the Blues playing the Kings, Flyers, or Penguins. Blue vs. Yellow (which could work for the Kings or Penguins) or Blue vs. Orange would have pretty good match-ups. 

I agree, it should have been a 67 match up but I understand why they wanted the first WC game (in stl) to be against Chicago.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived