2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

No, but I wouldn't come up with a logo as uninspired as the original stick n' rink, the plate of spaghetti, or the flying 'V.'  The colours are great but the Orca is not nearly as bad as you say it is.  It represents the topography of Vancouver, the sport and depicts a 'C' representing the namesake.  A Canuck isn't something that should be depicted directly anyways.  Just like the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be represented by a beret-wearing french Canadian. 

It's been their logo for almost 20 years....  At this point, I'd say it's part of their history whether you care for it or not.

33 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Odd you would say that, considering that the orca has been the primary logo longer than any other logo in Canucks history. 

The Leafs wore the 'Harold Ballard' leaf longer than any other leaf logos. Guess what. They rightfully ditched it. It's roots go back to the franchise's darkest days. The Canucks' orca was inspired by the former Orca Bay ownership. 

Very simple. Time to go with a crest that represents the team name. Johnny Canuck.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Leafs wore the 'Harold Ballard' leaf longer than any other leaf logos. Guess what. They rightfully ditched it. It's roots go back to the franchise's darkest days. The Canucks' orca was inspired by the former Orca Bay ownership. 

Very simple. Time to go with a crest that represents the team name. Johnny Canuck.

So they should go with a laughably cartoonish representation of a 'Canuck...'   A logo that is to the Canucks what the Fisherman is to the Islanders...  Sound logic.

51 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Leafs wore the 'Harold Ballard' leaf longer than any other leaf logos. Guess what. They rightfully ditched it. It's roots go back to the franchise's darkest days.

I don't disagree with you about the Ballard Leaf.

Still? I wouldn't have minded it if they had won the Cup while wearing it.

I don't think you'll find very many people defending the Orca logo. The majority of people here seem to dislike it. Rightfully, in my opinion. The problem is you saying you don't want your team to win the Cup while they wear it. We're all logo and uniform geeks, but I think we all want to see our teams do well regardless of what they're wearing. If they can win a championship while looking good? That's just a bonus.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

No, but I wouldn't come up with a logo as uninspired as the original stick n' rink, the plate of spaghetti, or the flying 'V.'  

Well the Canucks could have gone with Johnny Canuck from day one and saved everyone a lot of aggravation, but instead they went with hockey's version of the ball-in-glove logo. So here we are.

They ought to just stick Johnny on the front and the updated stick in rink on the shoulders and call it a day. They won't do that though because the Canucks are the NHL's Brewers and can never not screw something up with their identity. I suppose we should all just be grateful that they're wearing the right colours and not push our luck.

44 minutes ago, Morgo said:

A logo that is to the Canucks what the Fisherman is to the Islanders.

Comparing Johnny Canuck to the Isles' Fisherman is a silly comparison.

8 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Am I the only one here who really dislikes the jets identity? something about it seems a little bland any game against a original 6 team kind of exposes it imo

The current Winnipeg Jets have the best look any team named the Winnipeg Jets has ever had, in my opinion. They can break out the Heritage Classic set for special occasions (like nights dedicated to honouring players from the original Jets) to appease the crowd that likes the retro look. The primary look is really solid though. 

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not it's not.  Both logos are over-the-top, cartoonish renderings of their respective team's namesake that are equally ill-advised.  The only difference is that the Canucks were not foolish enough to adopt said logo.  Whether you favour the stick n' rink, spaghetti plate, orca or flying V, all logo's carry more historical weight than the comical 'Johnny Canuck.'

Nope, I don't see it. Johnny Canuck is a product of the same philosophy that gave us the Skating Penguin. It's a mascot logo that harkens back to a different era of design. 

The Fisherman was an EXTREME SCOWLING WITH SHADING logo from the 90s. They're both people holding hockey sticks, but the similarities end there.

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't disagree with you about the Ballard Leaf.

Still? I wouldn't have minded it if they had won the Cup while wearing it.

I don't think you'll find very many people defending the Orca logo. The majority of people here seem to dislike it. Rightfully, in my opinion. The problem is you saying you don't want your team to win the Cup while they wear it. We're all logo and uniform geeks, but I think we all want to see our teams do well regardless of what they're wearing. If they can win a championship while looking good? That's just a bonus.

Well the Canucks could have gone with Johnny Canuck from day one and saved everyone a lot of aggravation, but instead they went with hockey's version of the ball-in-glove logo. So here we are.

They ought to just stick Johnny on the front and the updated stick in rink on the shoulders and call it a day. They won't do that though because the Canucks are the NHL's Brewers and can never not screw something up with their identity. I suppose we should all just be grateful that they're wearing the right colours and not push our luck.

Ice-Cap, I know it sounds bizarre hearing/reading from someone wishing for a favourite/home team to lose a championship. In the case of the Canucks, had they won in 2011, there would be no incentive to ditch one of the most controversial logos in sports. I've been a Canucks fan for 37 years and I would love nothing more than to see them win a Cup in my lifetime. However, the orca is a mockery of the Canucks' heritage and history. It was inspired by a very meddling ownership group. I absolutely HATE the orca and my heart and money will never be invested in anything orca logo-related. The best logos in sports have a story about the teams that wear them. When I went to a Rangers-Senators game at MSG last year, I sported my Canucks wordmark toque and my Johnny Canuck T-shirt beneath my coat. A Rangers fan yelled at me, "What the puck is a 'Canuck'?" I smiled at him and pointed to my JC shirt, "Right here, my friend! :D "

As for Johnny, it doesn't just have to be the skating version for a Canucks primary. I love the JC C concept, designed by North Vancouver's Glen Green. 

66011376_2ba815c457.jpg.cf.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Nope, I don't see it. Johnny Canuck is a product of the same philosophy that gave us the Skating Penguin. It's a mascot logo that harkens back to a different era of design. 

The Fisherman was an EXTREME SCOWLING WITH SHADING logo from the 90s. They're both people holding hockey sticks, but the similarities end there.

And both are too cartoonish for my liking. For a minor league team the JC logo works perfectly.

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Morgo, let me ask you something....

If you started the Canucks from Day 1 and went with the Canucks name, would you really consider an animal for a logo? The only thing that's great about the Canucks' identity are the colours, shoulder patch and the traditional striping. 

Yes, seeing how that animal is specific to that region of the world.  It fits perfectly.

I think I understand where VancouverFan69 is coming from. Having the Canucks win the Cup with the Orca logo may feel like, atleast to him, that he was cheated. It may be when you became a fan of a team and your allegiance to a particular look. Imagine if the Canucks won the cup in 94. The flying skate would have been the uniform/logo that people think of when you think of that Cup run. Would they have ever changed from it? Who knows. Winning a cup in particular uniform set means alot to fans, so I don't think people should disagree with VF69 but also wishing your team to lose is a little extreme.

I'd be upset if the Penguins only won their cups in the diagonal "Pittsburgh" jerseys and never in their awesome skating Penguin. I'd always feel a void left from history of the team that their greatest moments weren't the best that they could have been. 

In the end, it comes down to personal opinion and this is like any other debate that are on these boards (Mighty Ducks vs Webbed D comes to mind), it's down to personal preference. No one is right or wrong. We all love logo's and designs that teams choose, that's the best part of all of this.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 minute ago, worcat said:

I think I understand where VancouverFan69 is coming from. Having the Canucks win the Cup with the Orca logo may feel like, atleast to him, that he was cheated. It may be when you became a fan of a team and your allegiance to a particular look. Imagine if the Canucks won the cup in 94. The flying skate would have been the uniform/logo that people think of when you think of that Cup run. Would they have ever changed from it? Who knows. Winning a cup in particular uniform set means alot to fans, so I don't think people should disagree with VF69 but also wishing your team to lose is a little extreme.

I'd be upset if the Penguins only won their cups in the diagonal "Pittsburgh" jerseys and never in their awesome skating Penguin. I'd always feel a void left from history of the team that their greatest moments weren't the best that they could have been. 

In the end, it comes down to personal opinion and this is like any other debate that are on these boards (Mighty Ducks vs Webbed D comes to mind), it's down to personal preference. No one is right or wrong. We all love logo's and designs that teams choose, that's the best part of all of this.

Thank you Worcat. Very well put. Here's something else...

Before the Canucks' Cup run in '82, the club was planning on ditching the very controversial Flying V jersey and putting the Flying Skate logo on the front for the '82-'83 season. However, because of the Flying V's sudden popularity during and after the finals, the Canucks decided to keep it. I heard this on the radio from former owner, Arthur Griffiths, a few years back. I liked the Flying V but I much preferred the Skate.

Okay, after reading this all of a sudden blown up conversation about the Vancouver Canucks, as a Canucks fan myself, I would like to throw my two cents in. In regards to the Canucks' current uniforms, I have to say this - I like the traditional look, and I do like that their color scheme represents the West Coast well, however, that is where it ends for me. I am in my twenties, and I have grown up as a Canucks fan, and as a fan, I have seen nothing but the Orca on a Canucks jersey. I have honestly never liked the Orca. Not because it is a bad logo, but I have never liked the Orca on a jersey. Their current home and road jerseys look like something I would find in a tourist shop. I think I'm in the minority on that, but that is what they remind me of. The Orca just does not look good as a main crest in my opinion. To me, it has never looked right, especially on their current jerseys. It's like a puzzle piece you find that doesn't even belong in the puzzle box, and should be in a different puzzle box altogether. I also cannot stand the Vancouver wordmark above the logo, and the agency font needs to go. I'm surprised some people prefer the Orca over their current third, and their 40th Anniversary jersey. I think both of those are far better and I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks try a jersey with Johnny Canuck. If I had my way, I would love to see the Canucks go back to their 1990's Skate jerseys, with the orangier red of the early 90's. I know a Skate doesn't represent a "Canuck", but damn, they were cool, and I have always liked them. Very cool jerseys in my opinion, and I love the color scheme. Anyway, that's the thoughts of this Canuck fan. I'm sure nobody cares, but I thought I would mention that, cause one, I do not like their current uniforms and logo, and two, anyone who would want their team to lose the Stanley Cup just cause of their logo is ridiculous. Sorry VancouverFan69, I totally agree with you about their current uniforms but I think that statement you made was completely over the top, and I hope that you were joking when you said that. 

TBH, The Nucks never have had a great logo. 

The stick-in-rink always looked off and isn't a strong mark. The skate is just bad. The Orca was well designed, but once they went back to green, the logo has lost depth 7 has that stupid wordmark over it. 

I feel Johnny Canuck is a great looking logo, but I'm not sold on him being a primary. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 minute ago, KittSmith_95 said:

TBH, The Nucks never have had a great logo. 

The stick-in-rink always looked off and isn't a strong mark. The skate is just bad. The Orca was well designed, but once they went back to green, the logo has lost depth 7 has that stupid wordmark over it. 

I feel Johnny Canuck is a great looking logo, but I'm not sold on him being a primary. 

The skate is not the greatest in NHL history, that I do agree with. I think it looks really good on their old jerseys though. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:

The skate is not the greatest in NHL history, that I do agree with. I think it looks really good on their old jerseys though. 

I love the Black, Red & Yellow sets tbh. I just wish we had a great logo to go with them. The best look, uniform, logo & colour wise happens to be the early 2000's Canuck-alanche jerseys. I own a white jersey from that set & I love it. The Orca looked good in those colours & had no wordmark hanging above it's head. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 minute ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I love the Black, Red & Yellow sets tbh. I just wish we had a great logo to go with them. The best look, uniform, logo & colour wise happens to be the early 2000's Canuck-alanche jerseys. I own a white jersey from that set & I love it. The Orca looked good in those colours & had no wordmark hanging above it's head. 

If someone could pull that off, that would be great, but I love the skate lol. As for their early 2000's look, definitely better with the Orca as the main logo over their current jerseys. 

Archived