2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

To put the video in context, you need to see the other "Johnny Canuck" videos that the team has done over the years. It isn't supposed to be dramatic or anything.  They'd announced a long time back that they'd be wearing these for one night. 

As for these jerseys, they're the jerseys I grew up with, but I still prefer what they wear now. Nice to see them once again, and I like them more than the Millionaire's throwback, but I'd save these for a few times a year. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, twi said:

Just had to submit orders for September 2016 arrival of NHL clothing...no new surprises were apparent, the only three TBD logo teams were Florida, Pittsburgh, and Toronto. 

A return to yellow more than likely for Pittsburgh now.

3 hours ago, twi said:

Just had to submit orders for September 2016 arrival of NHL clothing...no new surprises were apparent, the only three TBD logo teams were Florida, Pittsburgh, and Toronto. 

Jerseys?

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

10 hours ago, Morgo said:

That uniform is a thing of beauty but I wouldn't want to see it worn full time.  The Canucks have arguably the best colour scheme in the league right now.  It's so good that it makes the current set an attractive package in spite of the recoloured orca and arched word-mark.

Totally agree Morgo.  The original/current colours are awesome and they scream "Vancouver" and "BC".  However, I would love to see the Canucks wear the black skate 3-4 times per season.  I would even go a step further and add recoloured skating Johnny Canuck and/or the Stick in Rink shoulder patches onto the Skate jersey so it will bond both brands together.  Kind of like the Seattle Mariners wearing their retro royal blue and yellow with their current logo.

11 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Curious if the Canucks will be using their current number font (re-coloured, of course), on those retro jerseys. Looks like it from the image shown at the end of the video, but that could have just been a rushed Photoshop job.

I certainly hope not.  The classic block-style numbers stand out beautifully.

Time for Canucks jerseys to look like this...

TexFischer-VAN3rd.png

See how well block font stands out?  Adding a green border make it even better.

I'm glad the NHL is allowing more of these one-off games. They were really strict for a while, and while I find what the NFL is doing annoying, every NHL team has 82 games...you have to mix it up once in a while.

I hope the league gets to a point where teams are allowed to have four or five jerseys: home, road, and alternate, and then one or two one-off "fun" jerseys. Set up throwback or themed specialty games and really get into it. Can you imagine someone wearing a white throwback jersey against the Canucks' plate-of-spaghetti jerseys? How much more fun would that be? Just once a year, just something special, let the teams swap home and road the next year to pad the jersey sales and give both teams a chance to look great. Maybe even start it as a rivalry event. It could be a great thing for the teams who want to participate, and even better for the fans.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

7 hours ago, twi said:

Thanks, in case I pick Pittsburgh as my team. I was wondering why people were selling their Crosby & Malkin jerseys cheap on ebay. They sensed the yellow was coming back. Down to Pittsburgh, Detroit, San Jose for me. 

The canucks skate logo is a pile of shyte. If it wasn't for the nostalgia associated with it, we'd all objectively be dismissing it and never mentioning it again. Blue and green represent Vancouver perfectly and we started with those colours so lets just use them. I'm sick of all this "bring back the skate jerseys!!!" hyperbole all the time. Meh. Orca logo is perfectly good. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

The canucks skate logo is a pile of shyte. If it wasn't for the nostalgia associated with it, we'd all objectively be dismissing it and never mentioning it again. Blue and green represent Vancouver perfectly and we started with those colours so lets just use them. I'm sick of all this "bring back the skate jerseys!!!" hyperbole all the time. Meh. Orca logo is perfectly good. 

The Skating logo wasn't the greatest, and yes, the blue and green is the best color scheme that the Canucks have ever had. But the uniforms that they're throwing back to are spectacular, and definitely their best...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The Skating logo wasn't the greatest, and yes, the blue and green is the best color scheme that the Canucks have ever had. But the uniforms that they're throwing back to are spectacular, and definitely their best...

None of their logos are great. I'll say it, none of them. The stick-in-rink was awful, too, but a combination of nostalgia and people swearing they can see a C if they squint just right keep it coming back. The V jerseys are unusable, the plate of spaghetti is bad, and the orca is overwhelmingly meh, both in full color and the plain current version. Even Johnny Canuck, which they keep flirting with, is wrought with problems and very divisive. Nothing is great.

None of their jerseys are exceptional either. The blue and green is probably on the same level as the 94 jerseys, though green is a bit more unique, but neither are spectacular. 

They've struggled for their entire existence, and to say anything is great is misleading, it's merely a smidge better than the rest of the crap

On 1/31/2016 at 7:07 PM, Morgo said:

The blue, green and white colour scheme is spectacular and wholly unique since the Whalers won't be returning anytime soon.  The 1994 scheme is basically the Flames with black dominant over red.

It's not as perfect as it's made out to be, either. The colors can really really blend if they're not separated by white. What's the color-matching mnemonic device? "Blue and green shall not be seen without a color in-between", and it especially applies to the Canucks.

Oct25110_orland1_b.jpg

Those stripes blend in pretty easily, which is why these jerseys have been almost entirely forgotten. 

This also reminds me of how much I hate their reverse-color stick-in-rink, the worse of the two versions. So glad that hasn't made a comeback.

It's a good color scheme, I like blue, I especially like green, but unless you have one dark and one light, they don't contrast all that well on their own. It's a conditionally-good color scheme, as long as it's used correctly, it looks great. That keeps it from being spectacular in my opinion. Navy blue and kelly green, then you might have something.

We're in full agreement but the current uniform set does not have that problem.  Nowhere does the green directly touch blue on either the home or away iterations.  The Canucks of the 70's also fixed this problem after just two seasons.

If you ask me, ditching blue, white and green was the biggest mistake the organization ever made.  Their reasons for doing so (intimidation, passion) were more in line with the prevailing mindset of the 1990's.  Imagine if they had simply redone the logo while keeping the colours intact?  They wouldn't be leading the league in redesigns, that look wholly different from each other, and likely would have developed a good logo in time for the edge changeover.

15 minutes ago, Morgo said:

We're in full agreement but the current uniform set does not have that problem.  Nowhere does the green directly touch blue on either the home or away iterations.  The Canucks of the 70's also fixed this problem after just two seasons.

If you ask me, ditching blue, white and green was the biggest mistake the organization ever made.  Their reasons for doing so (intimidation, passion) were more in line with the prevailing mindset of the 1990's.  Imagine if they had simply redone the logo while keeping the colours intact?  They wouldn't be leading the league in redesigns, that look wholly different from each other, and likely would have developed a good logo in time for the edge changeover.

You're right, they would be way up the list for best looks if they kept their colors - either the blue/green originally or the gold/black/red, both schemes are pretty good when used well.

But that leads into the Canucks' other biggest problem: their name. It's hard enough to create a visual image for abstract terms like Wild, Capitals, or Blues, but when it comes to representing people, like Islanders, Flyers, or Canadiens, it's nearly impossible. The only ones that tried, the Fisherman or the Kings' burger king, got laughed and ridiculed out of existence. But at least all those other teams had some kind of imagery to what they do (an island, a wing, a crown) or they're so old that they're just letters and we're ok with that. The Canucks never got even that close. "Canuck", slur for Canadians or obscure regional comic book hero (or am I missing another definition), and they used a stick and a rink...so Canadians like hockey...well it's a hockey team, so that's redundant. Then they went to the skate, or as I like to call it, the plate-of-spaghetti, which kept the same Canadians-like-hockey theme. The Orca at least thinks outside the box, but it's still less than clear what they're getting at, unless it's about Native Canadians getting that term. They've never used their name well. They would've been best off being a Rangers clone with a wordmark on the front, if they used it long enough, we'd accept it by now (has that been what they've been trying since the Edge switch?). Maybe that was some thought to the Flying Vs and the V shoulders that followed, no logo a la the Rangers, just big V. Too bad it was terribly hideous. 

That's why I like the Millionaires logo best. Sure, it's just letters, but it's old enough that that's ok. It's the best of a bunch of not-quite-there ideas. Unless they come up with a V or a C with more Canadian imagery to it (Johnny Canucks' flannel? A flannel logo? An ax? a Touque? I'm reaching here), they're going to keep floundering, and I don't see this franchise ever getting it fixed.

Well, if they'd just used a logo featuring the Johnny Canuck design from the start (like the one used by the Western Hockey League team in the sixties), they would have always had an easily-comprehended identity. It would have saved the team so much trouble in the long-run, and it could be put in any of their color schemes. Seriously, take this guy:

whl--vancouver_canucks_1963-64.gif

Give him a bit of a clean-up, and BAM, you've got the perfect logo for the franchise. The Millionaires would be fine for a pre-1967 team, but the NHL Canucks aren't that (nor should they ever be). Also, don't repeat any of the "cartoon logos have no place in hockey" malarkey, as the Skating Penguin has proved itself to be a great logo in the long run, and both of the Johnny Canuck logo currently used by the Canucks could easily take the orca's place as the primary.

Archived