2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Okay, after reading this all of a sudden blown up conversation about the Vancouver Canucks, as a Canucks fan myself, I would like to throw my two cents in. In regards to the Canucks' current uniforms, I have to say this - I like the traditional look, and I do like that their color scheme represents the West Coast well, however, that is where it ends for me. I am in my twenties, and I have grown up as a Canucks fan, and as a fan, I have seen nothing but the Orca on a Canucks jersey. I have honestly never liked the Orca. Not because it is a bad logo, but I have never liked the Orca on a jersey. Their current home and road jerseys look like something I would find in a tourist shop. I think I'm in the minority on that, but that is what they remind me of. The Orca just does not look good as a main crest in my opinion. To me, it has never looked right, especially on their current jerseys. It's like a puzzle piece you find that doesn't even belong in the puzzle box, and should be in a different puzzle box altogether. I also cannot stand the Vancouver wordmark above the logo, and the agency font needs to go. I'm surprised some people prefer the Orca over their current third, and their 40th Anniversary jersey. I think both of those are far better and I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks try a jersey with Johnny Canuck. If I had my way, I would love to see the Canucks go back to their 1990's Skate jerseys, with the orangier red of the early 90's. I know a Skate doesn't represent a "Canuck", but damn, they were cool, and I have always liked them. Very cool jerseys in my opinion, and I love the color scheme. Anyway, that's the thoughts of this Canuck fan. I'm sure nobody cares, but I thought I would mention that, cause one, I do not like their current uniforms and logo, and two, anyone who would want their team to lose the Stanley Cup just cause of their logo is ridiculous. Sorry VancouverFan69, I totally agree with you about their current uniforms but I think that statement you made was completely over the top, and I hope that you were joking when you said that. 

Sorry Chewbacca, I wasn't joking and I make absolutely zero apologies. Because if the Canucks won in '11, the club would've been stuck with the orca eternally. And if the club ditches the orca, had they beaten Boston, the orca-supporting Canucks fans would scream bloody murder. Like I've mentioned before, I've been a Canucks for 37 years and I have been through hell and back with this club...from 15 straight losing seasons, the lack of great players prior to Bure, to the constant identity crisis. I've nearly seen everything. This club is Canada's third oldest NHL franchise and has never done anything right for the long-term when it comes to their identity since joining the league. A strong logo that represents the club's heritage and history is a huge part of building a strong brand with its entire fan base as well as other fan bases. Not just cater to a couple of demographics and the heck with those who passionately followed this club going back to their WHL days. If and when the Canucks ever win their first Cup, I want to buy Cup-winning merchandise. However, if the orca were the primary, I would be a total hypocrite if I went ahead and opened up my wallet.

A relationship between a club and its fans is a two-way street, not a one-way street. Unfortunately, the Canucks ownership hasn't grasped this concept. Why should I support a championship for a club that rubs its corporate orca brand in my face and the faces of the majority of the long-time Canucks fans who despise it?

Bottom line is this...the Canucks didn't win the Cup and now the team is horrible, which is a blessing. Now, is the wide open window of opportunity to ditch a 20-year old mistake and a 47-year old crisis by going with Johnny Canuck, the true original identity of the club. If not this year, then no later than the Canucks' 50th anniversary season. 

66011376_2ba815c457.jpg.cf.jpg

I mean, would I be disappointed if the Flames won the Cup this year in their trash jerseys? A little bit, for sure, but it wouldn't dull the mood at all; I'd still be extraordinarily happy my team finally won one.

33 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I mean, would I be disappointed if the Flames won the Cup this year in their trash jerseys? A little bit, for sure, but it wouldn't dull the mood at all; I'd still be extraordinarily happy my team finally won one.

It's funny that you mention the Flames. When Calgary and Vancouver meet, it's polar opposites on the ice.

Canucks - bad logo, classic uniforms. 

Flames - classic logo, bad uniforms.

At least, the Flames have a classic logo that represents the team name and roots(Alberta's oil industry).  I'll take Calgary's problem any day.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Sorry Chewbacca, I wasn't joking and I make absolutely zero apologies. Because if the Canucks won in '11, the club would've been stuck with the orca eternally. And if the club ditches the orca, had they beaten Boston, the orca-supporting Canucks fans would scream bloody murder. Like I've mentioned before, I've been a Canucks for 37 years and I have been through hell and back with this club...from 15 straight losing seasons, the lack of great players prior to Bure, to the constant identity crisis. I've nearly seen everything. This club is Canada's third oldest NHL franchise and has never done anything right for the long-term when it comes to their identity since joining the league. A strong logo that represents the club's heritage and history is a huge part of building a strong brand with its entire fan base as well as other fan bases. Not just cater to a couple of demographics and the heck with those who passionately followed this club going back to their WHL days. If and when the Canucks ever win their first Cup, I want to buy Cup-winning merchandise. However, if the orca were the primary, I would be a total hypocrite if I went ahead and opened up my wallet.

A relationship between a club and its fans is a two-way street, not a one-way street. Unfortunately, the Canucks ownership hasn't grasped this concept. Why should I support a championship for a club that rubs its corporate orca brand in my face and the faces of the majority of the long-time Canucks fans who despise it?

Bottom line is this...the Canucks didn't win the Cup and now the team is horrible, which is a blessing. Now, is the wide open window of opportunity to ditch a 20-year old mistake and a 47-year old crisis by going with Johnny Canuck, the true original identity of the club. If not this year, then no later than the Canucks' 50th anniversary season. 

I agree, time to right the ship.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not really, no.

9 times of 10, your posts are really intelligent and thought out.  But to not see a similarity between those two logos, you'd have to be wearing both contacts in one eye.  Let's go over said similarities...

- Both logos are cartoonish depictions of their team's literal namesakes that look more like illustrations than logos.
- Both logos have nothing to do with the history of their respective franchises.  The Canucks never used 'Johnny' and the Islanders should have never used 'Gorton' after their early, historic success.
- Both logos are overly detailed, especially the way the clothing is rendered.
- Both logos use the tired 90's crutch of depicting a hockey stick...  Both in silly ways
- Both logos rely on the other 90's crutch of using way too much gray/silver.

- Both logos work terribly as uniform crests.  The Islanders logo was always too wide (players complained), and I've yet to see a concept depicting full-bodied 'Johnny' that looks remotely natural.  Especially when paired with the Canucks current, traditional striping.

This conversation just makes me really glad that there are no plans to change the Canucks uniforms.  There is nothing wrong with the Orca, agency, or the arched script and the team have never looked better in their history.  The home blues would have looked great with the Stanley Cup.

As for not wanting your team to win a championship because you don't like a logo?  That is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard on these boards.  Anyone who'd rather be shackled to 40-plus years of futility than any logo is not a real fan.  Would I feel cheated if the Canucks won in anything other than blue and green?  Sure.  Would I actively cheer against them if they were wearing the skate or millionaires look?  Hell no.

7 minutes ago, Morgo said:

9 times of 10, your posts are really intelligent and thought out.  But to not see a similarity between those two logos, you'd have to be wearing both contacts in one eye. 

They're both bearded guys with hockey sticks. After that? The similarities become tenuous. 

Let us assume that Johnnh Canuck and the Fisherman represent the same thing. They don't, but for the sake of argument let's assume they're drawing from the same source material.

Johnny Canuck is the old timey mascot logo, much like the sort you find in the NCAA. 

The Fisherman is the 90s XTREME "remake" of that mascot logo. 

6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

- Both logos have nothing to do with the history of their respective franchises.  The Canucks never used 'Johnny' and the Islanders should have never used 'Gorton' after their early, historic success.
ed 90's crutch of depicting a hockey stick...  Both in silly ways

A WHL Canucks Johnny Canuck jersey worn in the 1950's and ticket stubs from the late 1960's. The club was named after Johnny Canuck who symbolized the brave Canadian Armed Forces during WWII. The lumberjack version was adapted by the Canucks to represent BC's historic lumber industry. 

our_game_gallery_23_slide.jpg.cf.jpg

20140711_130733.jpg

Just because you win a cup in one logo, doesn't mean that logo can't be changed, we've seen it done many times before. And yes of course there are obvious similarities between the Fisherman and Johnny C. I for one hope the Orca never goes away, though it could use a little green in it. 

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They're both bearded guys with hockey sticks. After that? The similarities become tenuous. 

Let us assume that Johnnh Canuck and the Fisherman represent the same thing. They don't, but for the sake of argument let's assume they're drawing from the same source material.

Johnny Canuck is the old timey mascot logo, much like the sort you find in the NCAA. 

The Fisherman is the 90s XTREME "remake" of that mascot logo. 

The Red and Blue 'Johnny' is an old-timey mascot logo.  The blue and green one is a 90's extreme remake, just like the Fisherman.  The only difference being that latter was made in the late 2000's.

3 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

A WHL Canucks Johnny Canuck jersey worn in the 1950's and ticket stubs from the late 1960's. The club was named after Johnny Canuck who symbolized the brave Canadian Armed Forces during WWII. The lumberjack version was adapted by the Canucks to represent BC's historic lumber industry. 

We're not talking about the WHL Canucks.  We are talking about the NHL team established in 1970 that has never used the logo.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

A logo of Johnny Canuck in an aesthetic style similar to the Robo-Pen or the updated 2D Sens logo wouldn't be a bad idea.

3102.gifx8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

It would still showcase the team's namesake, without looking like an illustration.

Too bad it would too much like the sens logo, because a Canucks logo in that style would be good. 

Also the sens should use that logo as a shoulder patch on an alt 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

9 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Just because you win a cup in one logo, doesn't mean that logo can't be changed, we've seen it done many times before. And yes of course there are obvious similarities between the Fisherman and Johnny C. I for one hope the Orca never goes away, though it could use a little green in it. 

The Penguins have a penguin logo. The Sharks have a shark logo. The Panthers have an actual Florida panther logo. The Seahawks have a seahawk, aka. an osprey for a logo. The BC Lions have a mountain lion logo. The Blue Jays have a blue jay logo.

Vancouver's hockey team is called the "Canucks", not the "Orcas".

"I don't like what the Canucks are doing right now. They should be the Johnny Canuck logo, because it is the greatest logo ever created, ever!" 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

2 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Penguins have a penguin logo. The Sharks have a shark logo. The Panthers have an actual Florida panther logo. The Seahawks have a seahawk, aka. an osprey for a logo. The BC Lions have a mountain lion logo. The Blue Jays have a blue jay logo.

You must struggle with these too then:

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif jhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif124.gifllrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

- Why no Bruin?!  What gives...

- Oh come on, give me a BLUE JACKET already.

- What is this?  Canadiens have more definition than a smile face.

- I do not see one building in those letters...

11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

A logo of Johnny Canuck in an aesthetic style similar to the Robo-Pen or the updated 2D Sens logo wouldn't be a bad idea.

3102.gifx8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

It would still showcase the team's namesake, without looking like an illustration.

Something like this? 

12 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Doesn't mean you have to have a cheesy representation of a "Canuck", a "man" shouldn't be a sports team logo. Those work well for Brawny or Green Giant. I respect your opinion on the logo, but i can't get behind not rooting for your team because of a logo.

2 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Something like this? 

That falls into the Fisherman trap. The overly-gruff expression, huge biceps, hockey stick (I get that it's supposed to be like an ax, but it's just too silly), and some overly-detailed shading (even in a greyscale rendering) are all things that don't fit with the Robo-Pen/updated 2D Centurion logos. Those logos have simple details, neutral expressions, and don't depend on depicting equipment. 

Archived