Jump to content

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes


TheGrimReaper
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Redskins? Mighty Ducks? We're a grey facemask reference away from making this the most obnoxious CCSLC discussion ever.

Maybe add in talks of monochrome and stirup pants in baseball and you got that right

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most frustrating part of the Avs continued use of these terrible sweaters?  The team itself has been awful in them.  It's not like they are winning Cups in this look and want to keep that brand going.  They are a terrible team on the ice and look the part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2016 at 7:39 PM, Rj0498 said:

I am sorry but i wouldn't care if the wild were wearing the ugliest crap imaginable  and I would still be happy if they won the cup

Yeah, I'd sit through a whole season of the Mustards returning for all home games, if there was a championship at the end, for Nashville. 

 

I feel a little dirty saying that. Gods that sweater was awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

The most frustrating part of the Avs continued use of these terrible sweaters?  The team itself has been awful in them.  It's not like they are winning Cups in this look and want to keep that brand going.  They are a terrible team on the ice and look the part.

 

Both uniform sets seem to match up with their respective on ice product perfectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

 

Both uniform sets seem to match up with their respective on ice product perfectly.

Better than a great team in awful sweaters (Capitals) or a crappy team in great sweaters (Oilers for the past few years)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Would you imagine this is the reason that shoulder numbers are a lot more popular in the NFL, because of how high up press/announcers are?

 

Maybe back in the day, but most (if not all) modern day NFL broadcast booths are mid-level.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Yeah, I'd sit through a whole season of the Mustards returning for all home games, if there was a championship at the end, for Nashville. 

 

I feel a little dirty saying that. Gods that sweater was awful.

Considering that they had regular athletic gold as a secondary/third color with the regular home and road sweaters, when they had that alt, and the fact that their home sweaters are now bright athletic gold, why did they use Mustard gold? That jersey probably would have been a huge hit... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Yeah, I'd sit through a whole season of the Mustards returning for all home games, if there was a championship at the end, for Nashville. 

 

I feel a little dirty saying that. Gods that sweater was awful.

At least you guys imo have a great uni set I really like those yellow sweaters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Would you imagine this is the reason that shoulder numbers are a lot more popular in the NFL, because of how high up press/announcers are?

 

Yes, but with a big ol' asterisk on it. Football is almost never viewed from a field level, or even just above field level. TV views it from a rather high angle so you can see the formations and appreciate what's going on the entire width of the field. In football, sleeve numbers are actually officially called "TV Numbers" and were introduced when games started showing on television regularly. Look how big Ohio State's were when they were first introduced:

1988_game.jpg

Purely for television

hqdefault.jpg

 

But it certainly helps for the announcers, too. If I had it my way, there'd be helmet numbers on everybody. I had one game against a team with helmet numbers, and it was the easiest game I ever called. Sure it may not allow for much uniqueness, but think of the announcers! lol

 

As for that asterisk, I think they ended up on the shoulders purely because there was space. Sleeves were real back then, not just the sides of shoulder pads. Sleeves had stripes. The shoulders had nothing. So it made sense on most teams (anyone without hoop stripes a la the Colts) to put them on the shoulders...and there they've (mostly) stayed. Good logic meets happenstance. When they work together, you get your best solutions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Considering that they had regular athletic gold as a secondary/third color with the regular home and road sweaters, when they had that alt, and the fact that their home sweaters are now bright athletic gold, why did they use Mustard gold? That jersey probably would have been a huge hit... 

The mustard color was created accidentally, as they placed a gold material (almost a thick mesh, but not quite) over a navy material, creating a darker mustard color. The shade of gold was most likely darker than they used already, but looked even worse with this odd material choice. One of the strangest jerseys I've ever seen in person.

third_jersey.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could also go in the "video games with wrong sports jerseys" thread, wherever that went, but to piggyback on this discussion I remember seeing that jersey in NHL 2004, and EA wound up giving it a brighter shade of yellow than it had in real life, similar to what they're using now:
M04hR0r.png
PTMifrg.png
I think it looks much better in that shade, for what it's worth. I'd say this could be evidence to support that, if they genuinely didn't know how dark the jersey would look on the ice...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bmac said:

The mustard color was created accidentally, as they placed a gold material (almost a thick mesh, but not quite) over a navy material, creating a darker mustard color. The shade of gold was most likely darker than they used already, but looked even worse with this odd material choice. One of the strangest jerseys I've ever seen in person.

third_jersey.jpg

 
 

 

I'll probably get flack for this, but this jersey doesn't look too bad in this photo.  Whether you like overly detailed logo's or not, you have to at least appreciate all the effort and detail that went into that crest.  Unfortunately, when you view this jersey in action, the gold and navy layers tend to blend together, even more, creating that horribly muddy, 'mustard' effect that has (rightfully) earned this uniform so much derision.

Had they not used the double-panel format and went with Nashville's current gold, the uniforms wouldn't be that bad.  Dare I say, it would make for a perfectly acceptable alternate for a modern franchise.  The striping is actually pretty conservative for that era and the sleeves do a much better job of creating subtle 'fangs' than the panels on the current uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.