TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

The story on nhl.com actually has a dropbox link with more photos of the Leafs.  Still can't tell if the stripe goes all the way around.  I thought it was a weird way of releasing photos though. 

Sweater (no background).png

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkdtojz7h3lfbuf/Centennial Classic Sweater.zip?dl=0

I look at that and I just want it to turn into the old Oilers alt. It's so close. 

1 hour ago, GFB said:

It's not like red vs. blue looks really good or anything...

460028089.jpg

That looks like so much fun. Just playing a little hockey in the snow. Is there anything better?

New Leafs unis look VERY Panthers-esque. Can't say I'm a huge fan. Would be better if they kept it more true to a throwback. This just looks like a weird Panthers-Habs-Leafs hybrid.

Edit: I like the leafs jersey in the vacuum, I mean it's a nice looking hockey uni, don't get me wrong, but the fact that it comes so soon after the Panthers new look was released, kind of just looks like a repurposing of that template.

6 minutes ago, elliott said:

That looks like so much fun. Just playing a little hockey in the snow. Is there anything better?

No there isn't, elliott. That's why IMO, the outdoor games have been so popular. 

Ehhh. They're ok. Not great, not horrible. I just can't believe they decided to make these random jerseys for Toronto and Detroit, who could have easily worn throwbacks. For a 100 year anniversary game too? Doesn't really make sense. 

CxzQ5JzXUAAG5CQ.jpg

The Red Wings NHL Centennial Classic™ uniforms pay homage to the beginnings of the franchise and the NHL’s 100th anniversary season. The color silver is used throughout the uniform as a nod to the League’s milestone season, most notably in a special version of the Winged Wheel front crest that incorporates silver tones into the normally white areas. Additionally, silver is found in the top stripe on both sleeves of the jersey, along with the trim in the uniform numbers.

The silver stripe found on both sleeves honors the 11 Stanley Cup® Championships in Red Wings franchise history. Each individual championship season is listed in the silver stripes, with five championship seasons honored on the right sleeve (1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952) and six on the left sleeve (1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008). The four red stripes on both sleeves are a tribute to the original Detroit Cougars, which prominently displayed stripes in their jersey designs. The pants will also feature a version of the letter “D,” similar to the design worn originally by the Cougars during the team’s 1926-27 season.

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/283939826/960x540/cut.jpg

meh.

Agreed...There's nothing like a good crisp red & white, or blue & white design. The silver just muddies both unis IMO.

So the Leafs will be the blue and silver Panthers for a game...  I guess it could be worse.  The silver highlights in Detroit's crest remind of the Avalanche' logo, particularly in execution.  Ironic considering their 90's rivalry.

why doesn't every team just wear the same generic canadiens jersey just with their own colors and logos at this point? Seriously where is the creativity?

Wings jersey almost looks pink in certain areas. Maybe the lighting?

5 hours ago, BrianLion said:

I don't get the flack the Islanders get here for their logo being "boring" and "out-dated" yet people cream themselves over the Habs, Bruins, Flyers, Oilers, and Sabres which are all equally dated looking and unexciting.  

I feel those logos are more timeless, whereas the Isles logo is forever trapped in the 70's. Though i must admit i love the Isles logo and colors, (one of my favorites) despite knowing full well that their logo is horrible. Seriously if that logo came out today it would be trashed, design wise it's just bad, but i still love it.

Is the Islanders logo dated? Yes but design wise, it's pretty good. The four stripes was a nice subtle upgrade and the tip of the "I" pointing to where they used to play (I believe?) was a great idea. The colors pop and when I think of Blue/Orange combo, Islanders is my first thought. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

5 hours ago, B-mer said:

The story on nhl.com actually has a dropbox link with more photos of the Leafs.  Still can't tell if the stripe goes all the way around.  I thought it was a weird way of releasing photos though. 

productImages%2f_2618000%2fff_2618932_fu

The two jerseys could be worse.

They could also be a hell of a lot better.

For the Centennial Classic, I am just not a fan of either jersey for this event. I think Toronto's jersey would make a good third jersey down the road and as for Detroit, I hate that silver stripe on the arms - I do not like it at all, and I also don't care for the silver in their logo either. Not impressed with Detroit's jersey. When you celebrate 100 years, I think that's a case where it should be throwbacks, not new looks made to push out new merchandise. I'm really disappointed that the Leafs are not wearing their Arenas throwback for the Centennial Classic. 

You know what the funniest thing is? This Leafs jersey leaked a while ago, like at least a week, and it was so random, so unprecedented, and so bad that we all said, "That's a weird fashion jersey, why would they even make that?"

Sure, it might not be the most awful, garish jersey ever, but it really is a terrible choice for the Leafs.

14 hours ago, daniel75 said:

I feel those logos are more timeless, whereas the Isles logo is forever trapped in the 70's. Though i must admit i love the Isles logo and colors, (one of my favorites) despite knowing full well that their logo is horrible. Seriously if that logo came out today it would be trashed, design wise it's just bad, but i still love it.

To be honest the whole identity feels like it's stuck in the 70's, and yet for some reason that aesthetic works well for them.

--

Leafs and Wings jerseys are OK and that's basically it. I don't mind the silver stripes now we know that they're not the dull grey that Buffalo uses. I also don't mind the application on the logos, at least it's not that god-awful Photoshop chrome effect.