2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Just posting here for no reason other than my next jersey purchase will be if/when Mitch Marner is named to Canada's Olympic team that is all thank you k bye.

I've got replica 98 Yzerman, & 10 Toews... Marner my new fav player will make that nice trilogy.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Just posting here for no reason other than my next jersey purchase will be if/when Mitch Marner is named to Canada's Olympic team that is all thank you k bye.

I've got replica 98 Yzerman, & 10 Toews... Marner my new fav player will make that nice trilogy.

I've got a hockey jersey and 10 toes too, but you don't see me bragging about it
Image result for 10 toes

lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

9 hours ago, hockey week said:

Yeah, Pennsylvania is the keystone state. Philly has been halfheartedly using it, and now Pittsburgh is trying to claim it for their own, and it plays into the whole Pittsburgh-Philadelphia rivalry that has literally been going on since the 1700s. It's petty and it's fun and it's silly and it's trolling and that's exactly what a rivalry should be.

THe Pittsburgh / Philadelphia "rivalry" only exists in Pittsburgh (assuming you're not talking about just sports.)

IMO the keystone, while a symbol of PA, is more associated with Pittsburgh (maybe due to Heinz ketchup, or maybe just due to that most of the state associates more with Pittsburgh, with Phila being its own thing that just happens to fall within PA lines.)  I thought it was an odd choice by the Flyers to use it a few years ago, and expressed my thoughts on it to the designer (they went with it anyway, and to their credit it seems to have been a hit with Flyers fans.)  My experience living and going to school in both regions is that Phila is mentioned in Pittsburgh in some capacity on a daily basis, while most people who live in the Phila region have no reason to ever think about Pittsburgh (outside of sports.)

FWIW, I like the Penguins version of the keystone better anyway.  I also don't take the City of Champions as trolling.  That's how they refer to it there, and I would assume that all fans in central / western PA, and probably most older fans get the reference, despite the already-proven fact that several cities refer to themselves by the same nickname.  It's harmless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

THe Pittsburgh / Philadelphia "rivalry" only exists in Pittsburgh (assuming you're not talking about just sports.)

IMO the keystone, while a symbol of PA, is more associated with Pittsburgh (maybe due to Heinz ketchup, or maybe just due to that most of the state associates more with Pittsburgh, with Phila being its own thing that just happens to fall within PA lines.)  I thought it was an odd choice by the Flyers to use it a few years ago, and expressed my thoughts on it to the designer (they went with it anyway, and to their credit it seems to have been a hit with Flyers fans.)  My experience living and going to school in both regions is that Phila is mentioned in Pittsburgh in some capacity on a daily basis, while most people who live in the Phila region have no reason to ever think about Pittsburgh (outside of sports.)

FWIW, I like the Penguins version of the keystone better anyway.  I also don't take the City of Champions as trolling.  That's how they refer to it there, and I would assume that all fans in central / western PA, and probably most older fans get the reference, despite the already-proven fact that several cities refer to themselves by the same nickname.  It's harmless.

Being a Flyers fan, I haven't really bought into the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh rivalry. Sure, I hate the Crosby and the Penguins franchise but it's not a huge rivalry to me. A little over ten years ago, the Penguins were on life support and there was no rivalry. 

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I did and I got this!?

http://65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltrbb0Ar2X1qgofyv.jpg

They.. uh... took that slogan down... said it didn't fit with the city anymore.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

38 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Being a Flyers fan, I haven't really bought into the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh rivalry. Sure, I hate the Crosby and the Penguins franchise but it's not a huge rivalry to me. A little over ten years ago, the Penguins were on life support and there was no rivalry. 

Pens recovered big time , Flyers has been on it for 40 years, time to pull the plug? 

^_^

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You artsy fartsy Philadelphians think you're all high and mighty (this is all in a friendly trolling sports rivalry tone, btw), you've had it so easy all this time! This rivalry goes all the way back to the Proclamation Line of 1763, when the British drew a line over the Appalachian Mountains and said that nobody was allowed to live beyond that line lest they anger the Native Americans. But we knew there was great country beyond that Proclamation Line, we had seen Fort Pitt and the forks of the Ohio River, so we went and lived beyond that line, ILLEGALLY, fighting and toiling against mother nature herself, without help, without law and order, while you artsy fartsy folk were living it up in the Athens of the New World, philosophising and making art and so on! And e'er since then, it's been rugged, tough, blue-collar Pittsburgh in the west, and soft, delicate, heady Philadelphia in the east, and to this day Pennsylvania remains divided!

That, my friends, is what makes a good rivalry, no matter what they say trying to minimize it. It's alright, we hate Cleveland and Baltimore WAY more than we hate Philly these days...they're just our oldest rivalry.

:D

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On the subject of the use of the Keystone, if we ignore sports for a second, one of the most famous uses of the keystone imagery was by the Pennsylvania Railroad, who's headquarters were in Philadelphia. 

latest?cb=20120817013022

I always associated the keystone with the railroad and not Philadelphia or Pittsburgh in particular, and I certainly get the Heinz connection, but I feel this is reason enough to understand why the Flyers would use it.

17 hours ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

Glad to see fisherman get some love. I don't think it was as bad of a look as people make it out to be. The classic logo had that 10 year run with 4 straight cups attached to it and the fisherman logo came about during the worst period in the history of the franchise. I do wish it could have stayed as a minor league logo or at the very least they could have kept the lighthouse logo. There was nothing wrong with the lighthouse logo. 

I'm still a sucker for the fisherman logo.  Actually have a flag of it hanging in my basement.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

No rivalry between the Pens and Flyers?  Really?  I guess it has been rather one-sided.  As for the Flyers futility, I think we can all be thankful the cup wasn't raised in this monstrosity back in 2010.  Those sleeves...

1BdbiMt.jpg

2 minutes ago, Morgo said:

No rivalry between the Pens and Flyers?  Really?  I guess it has been rather one-sided.  As for the Flyers futility, I think we can all be thankful the cup wasn't raised in this monstrosity back in 2010.  Those sleeves...

1BdbiMt.jpg

Probably one-sided in favor of the Flyers

image.png

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

8 hours ago, Thomas said:

Pens recovered big time , Flyers has been on it for 40 years, time to pull the plug? 

^_^

Financially speaking, the Flyers have never been close to being on life support. Sure, the Penguins have had more success in terms of cups but I wasn't talking about that.

On 11/26/2016 at 11:07 AM, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I love that jersey. Full time thirds please. And yeah that "City of Champions" is pretty pretentious isn't it?

As for the Flyers aren't they going to wear those 50th season jerseys for that game?

As someone brought up before it's a fan service type of thing. Same as the Red Wings using "HockeyTown" on their home ice, or the NBA Trailblazers using "Rip City" on an alternate jersey. Pittsburgh was the first city to use the phrase, and it does describe the unusual success they've had across different sports. For a smaller city without the benefit of multiple teams in the same sport, it's rare to see the number of championships. Even the University of Pittsburgh has a storied football program with multiple national titles and legendary players.

6 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

As someone brought up before it's a fan service type of thing. Same as the Red Wings using "HockeyTown" on their home ice, or the NBA Trailblazers using "Rip City" on an alternate jersey. Pittsburgh was the first city to use the phrase, and it does describe the unusual success they've had across different sports. For a smaller city without the benefit of multiple teams in the same sport, it's rare to see the number of championships. Even the University of Pittsburgh has a storied football program with multiple national titles and legendary players.

The "City of Champions" moniker started in 1979 after the Pirates won the World Series to go along with the Steelers Super Bowl win in January. It sorta faded away the deeper into the 80's we got and was brought back after the Steelers and Pens both won championships in the same year, which was the first time a city won a Super Bowl and Stanley Cup in the same calendar year.

Archived