2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

17 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Oilers shouldn't change their logo, but I think it needs a few small helps here and there. 

oil.png

I just today noticed how the Oilers' logo has the lettering placed so weirdly and it has a different radius than the circle around it so I messed with it. I left the 1970's drop shadow because if you lose that you lose the essence of the logo attached to one of the sport's great dynasties, but I took out all of the wonky curves on the bottom and I gave it uniform spacing between the bottom of the oil drop and the circle, which matches the spacing of the orange in the oil drop the blue outline around it. 

I fixed that Oilers glitch one time too but I kept the old red outline from the copper and blue days and turned it orange. I think that's good to have. But yeah, much like updating the Islanders' crest for the 21st century, this is something the Oilers absolutely need to do. Of course, now that they built the new arena, the flawed old logo must be literally etched in stone all over the place. That's our Oilers!

As for the Stars' single-layer numbers, I don't like them either and the black outlines would add a lot, but the real flaw isn't the outlines or lack thereof, it's the Stars' crappy number font that's supposed to evoke the Cowboys' old varsity serif but in practice looks like they did a crappy job cutting the numbers out of the fabric. If they had used the classic CCM numbers (pre-2013 Stars, pre-2016 Panthers, Oilers, Mighty Ducks) or plain old varsity block, single-layer would probably look fine! It would look better with outlines, but at least it wouldn't look so damn cheap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk, something about the lower-drooping numbers that feels more...oily. Even though I never noticed it (even though I've noticed the curves at the bottom of the letters...maybe that's part of what makes it feel viscous and 3D), I don't mind that it looks that way.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

But that's just it, until there's a good example, there's no evidence that it would work. If anything, I think it would be a bigger complaint, a functional complaint, because the numbers would be less legible.

Green and black blend at distance. On a green jersey, the outline bleeds into the jersey, and the white number stands out. On a white jersey, the outline bleeds into the number, making for a fatter, less legible number. I've seen it happen in my own broadcast career, and it's annoying and makes things more difficult. 

Unless you can show that it works better on both home AND AWAY, then I think it's not a good idea.

On the white jersey the numbers are green, i want a black outline on those numbers. I think that would make them even more legible.

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like it was talked about in the past here on the forum ^_^

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101196-2014-2015-nhl-jerseylogo-changes/?page=172 

19 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Oilers shouldn't change their logo, but I think it needs a few small helps here and there. 

oil.png

I just today noticed how the Oilers' logo has the lettering placed so weirdly and it has a different radius than the circle around it so I decided to mess around with it. I left the 1970's drop shadow because if you lose that you lose the essence of the logo attached to one of the sport's great dynasties, but I took out all of the wonky curves on the bottom and gave it uniform spacing between the bottom of the oil drop and the circle, which matches the spacing of the orange in the oil drop with the blue outline around it. 

Oh damnit I never realized that and now it will always bother me.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

just fine. 

461065606_slide.jpg

im surprised there are people who even against this. tons of teams have a dark color around the numbers on the white jersey (arizona, tampa, washington, philly, minny, florida last year) and no one bats an eye. Not sure why anyone is treating dallas differently. Having a 3d logo with two outlines on it and a single layered number font looks wrong. 

Any argument against a number outline for Dallas is basically an argument against number outlines every where. Except for the stance that black never touches green anywhere on their uniform and wanting to maintain that consistency. I understand that point of view wholeheartedly, but they will still always look like a men's league team that didn't want to spring for double layer twill. 

I'd like to see how black numbers with a green outline would look on the white jerseys because the logo actually is the one place where black and green touch

dallas-stars-reebok-edge-premier-adult-h

PvO6ZWJ.png

In case you missed it, we had an Emergency Amateur Goalie situation today: Corey Crawford underwent an emergency appendectomy (I don't know of another kind for an in-season athlete) and the Blackhawks couldn't get a goalie to Philadelphia in time for a 1 p.m. puck drop. Enter former Temple club goalie Eric Semborski!

The Flyers were wearing their 50th-anniversary alternates, so the Hawks were in red on the road AS GOD INTENDED. But in a pinch with only the Flyers' supplies on hand, they used the Flyers' old nameplate lettering, the big, thick, blocky...block I only associate with the Flyers (and the '80s/'90s Maple Leafs but theirs was just a bit different):

Semborski.jpg

I don't know how they had this on hand, because the Flyers stopped using the white version of this lettering when they retired the orange then-road sweaters waaaay back in the '90s: the black alts-turned-roads-turned-homes used a thinner block with orange outlines.

Semborski was on an amateur tryout and as such was not paid to sit on the bench. He gets to keep his sweater, which is Corey Crawford's #50 with his own name slapped over it like a 2016 election bumper sticker over a 2012 election bumper sticker. Fun conversation piece, if nothing else.

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't know how they had this on hand, because the Flyers stopped using the white version of this lettering when they retired the orange then-road sweaters waaaay back in the '90s: the black alts-turned-roads-turned-homes used a thin

Just a random guess with absolutely no knowledge:  If the Flyers equipment managers used to letter jerseys in the 90s, but then started to use a local shop for lettering, then that font may be all they had on hand, even more than a decade later.

It's weird that if everything is done in house, then why not just use the white letters that are worn on the white Flyers jerseys...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I have no idea, but can we agree that the chunky lettering is distinctly Philadelphia Flyers and should be reinstated?

Yes. And I think they actually used it for a brief spell in their current stupid contrasting nameplate era. I swear I've seen it fairly recently. 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

In case you missed it, we had an Emergency Amateur Goalie situation today: Corey Crawford underwent an emergency appendectomy

In 1994, the Canadiens were the defending champions but they were knocked out in the first round by the Boston Bruins. Nonetheless, that seven-game series was notable in the eyes of Montreal fans as Roy came down with appendicitis and missed Game 3. He convinced doctors to let him return for Game 4 and led the Canadiens to a 5–2 victory, stopping 39 shots

Oh man, were the players just badass back then!?

Upon looking it up, the 50th anniversary sweaters do indeed use a gold-trimmed variation of the Flyers font (yeah, uh, I didn't know it was a noon start and I only caught the last half of the third on the radio). But even if the white layer is separate from the gold layer, the white layer would necessarily be thinner than what we saw on the emergency goalie's nameplate, which is the same stock from the Lindros years. I'm more confused than I was before.

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

In 1994, the Canadiens were the defending champions but they were knocked out in the first round by the Boston Bruins. Nonetheless, that seven-game series was notable in the eyes of Montreal fans as Roy came down with appendicitis and missed Game 3. He convinced doctors to let him return for Game 4 and led the Canadiens to a 5–2 victory, stopping 39 shots

Oh man, were the players just badass back then!?

PLAYOFFS > regular season

On the topic of green letters and numbers with black outlines, today's QMJHL matchup between the visiting Val-D'or Foreurs and the hometown Cape Breton Screaming Eagles happened to feature such a fashion trend. I present some examples. 

20161204_162050-1.jpg

20161204_162030-1.jpg

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

17 hours ago, Thomas said:

Agree. But let us still reminisce when hockey was for the big boys, by these two clips ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ehv4xepJw

Scott Stevens - Kozlov 95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P4wg21mLf8

Wings-Avs 97

Scott Stevens was a borderline criminal, and if you want the late 1990s seasons of NHL hockey, by all means, take them. Take them far, far away. 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived