2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

have any teams announced any rebrands/uniform changes for next year or is it just vegas as the only change for next season. 

Only thing I've heard for 100% certain is that teams will at least have the option to change their numbering to the "holey", mesh type numbers used during the World Cup. No idea if that means the only change is materials, if fonts/styles/colors have to necessarily change or anything beyond that a new option is being offered. 

First heard an inkling of that when we were told to not order number kits for beyond this season, and the info on being offered a material change is from two NHL equipment guys. 

On on the fan side, we did recently receive the Fanatics catalog to order from for Fall '17 delivery. It was a lot less than helpful, as not team's jerseys were listed at all. The only images of jerseys were the promotional ones we've already seen posted here. Hats, tees, sweatshirts, etc were pictured and nobody was listed as TBD. One interesting thing is that each team had only one style listed. Currently Ananeim would be jersey styles 001A, 001H, and 001T for the white, black, and orange jerseys. Each team had only one item number associated with. I imagine the exact codes will come to us when final images do, but the pessimist in me says only each team's colored jersey may be initially (hopefully) available. That makes no sense, but this is also a deal we haven't quite seen the likes of before with Fanatics taking over the replica business. 

As to next season, it's a money game. Those teams that feel they stand to make more money on a design overhaul/upgrade likely will. Fan satisfaction generally only figures in as far as it affects profit. Even then, common sense is, all too often, left by the wayside.

Edit: to expand, some owners don't really give a rip about fan satisfaction, in their (re)designs. At least, not more than what they want (see: Panthers redesign; Las Vegas market identity).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Take the 2004 Cup look and replace the horse snot shoulder patch with the mountain patch from the previous alternate and they're in good shape.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 12/21/2016 at 4:52 PM, Rollins Man said:

have any teams announced any rebrands/uniform changes for next year or is it just vegas as the only change for next season. 

The big one I heard was the Capitals going to the retro look full time.  That came from one of the top men who work for the Capitals a year ago who I still have contact with before he was laid off.

3 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

The big one I heard was the Capitals going to the retro look full time.  That came from one of the top men who work for the Capitals a year ago who I still have contact with before he was laid off.

They need to do something. At least have a new sweater template. Behind the Senators and Flames(among other teams I'm sure I missed), these things are the most dated looking in the league.

17 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

There's nothing...wrong... with the current set (they did fairly well for themselves, considering the great debacle of almost 10 years ago.). It's just that the vintage look jumps off the TV and is more evocative. 

The current set and wordmark have this muddy look, to me. The home seems unnecessarily dark, and the navy buckets just darken the look even more. 

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but teams looked better when they had brighter helmets that match the body of the sweater. The Devils and Caps (to me) just look better with red helmets. Same with the Flames. It completes the look.  

The helmet can make or break a set for me. Like Colorado's alternate jersey, which I imagine will become the primary soon, would look LIGHT YEARS better with burgundy buckets. The navy's fine, but there's not a lot of contrast between the navy and the burgundy, and the dark helmets make them just look like a generic navy team with burgundy accents. Now if someone could whip up a rendering of the atls with a burgundy helmet, I think you'll see it ties everything together and makes it a more passable sweater. Just my humble opinion !!!

34 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I hope SJ changes. Go back to the light teal from the early 90s. Swap out orange for grey and put that cool new logo on the front. This one

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/2016/08/Sharks-New-Logo.png

I think this was a big testing the waters project.

Reception has been mostly positive, so I could see this and the other logos becoming the standard primary/alternate next year.

Sorry if I missed it before, but are the Blue Jackets players seriously wearing their Twitter handles or hashtags on the backs of their sweaters tonight in place of their names during the game?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

7 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Sorry if I missed it before, but are the Blue Jackets players seriously wearing their Twitter handles or hashtags on the backs of their sweaters tonight in place of their names during the game?

Just during warmups...

Funny how an Icethetics concept called this not a while back.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

14 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Just during warmups...

Funny how an Icethetics concept called this not a while back.

I just saw it on Instagram where they said it was just their warm-ups. Thanks anyway.

Only reason I asked was because I saw their graphic after the first period on Twitter and it still had the social media uniiforms in the image.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The Capitals need to face facts...  Neither the current wordmark nor the retro version are strong enough to serve as the team's primary logo.  What they need is a compact, patriotic logo, in the vein of the screaming eagle, on a traditional, red, white and blue sweater.  They should also definitely keep the multicolored stars.

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Thanks to this, I learned that the Jackets' nameplate font has numerals, and they fit better with the team's identity than either of the numeral fonts they currently use. So ditch the goddamn Copperplate already.

Also, I kinda figured adidas would push the perforated twill from the WCH. It's the hockey equivalent of their NBA Rev30 nonsense, and I'm sure it will also involve kiss-cut outlines to reduce drag coefficient and make players 0.46‰ faster. Oh, and it will make accurate customization extra-pricey and near-impossible for anyone not named EPS.

Any idea if the textured shoulders from the WCH 7387 jerseys will be making it into the NHL?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why did the Flames discontinue this great alternate jersey?

Baertschi-Cammalleri-Third_jersey_131101

The western style shoulders yokes were great. The unique collar laces were also great. The simplified number font and striping fixed a multitude of problems the current Flames primaries have. And now they ditched all of that in favor of the poorly executed edge jerseys that are still being worn. Whoever's in charge of the design department over there hasn't done a very good job, imo.

Also, a shame that this logo is gone too...

574832014.gif

Archived