2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Its a nice patch. Only the 2nd time the Devils will wear white at home since the league wide change. Would have loved to see the white/green throwbacks. I think they will break them out eventually. 

C1Vv-SRWEAAAl3J.jpg:large

That's a well-designed and attractive logo, but (as @BrianLion mentioned) McMullen had bought the Rockies with the sole intention of moving them to New Jersey. To incorporate the Rockies into the design seems bizarre and off-putting to me. It'd be like the Ravens including Browns imagery on an Art Modell patch, or the Dodgers putting the old Brooklyn "B" on a Walter O'Malley patch (perhaps even stranger, actually, given that McMullen intended to move the Rockies from day one of his ownership). Obviously the wounds in Colorado aren't a fraction as deep, which is why there won't be any consternation about this among folks in Denver, but still. It's like whoever designed this had no sense of the history there.

(Note: not condemning McMullen for moving the Rockies to Jersey at all - they were inevitably going to move, whether it was to Jersey or Ottawa or somewhere else. Just saying, to commemorate the Rockies on a McMullen patch is extremely strange.)

It has kind of a conquering-hero vibe, like we took this team and made them ours, which is, in fact, what they did. It's just strange to see a team do it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When Seattle gets the Supersonics back, their inaugural patch should be a guy redlining a car into a viaduct to avoid being indicted by the feds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/3/2017 at 11:58 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Nice!  Score one for franchise continuity and the awareness of history.

Score two, I think.

While the Seals struggled on and off the ice to establish a foothold in the Bay Area, the heritage of that franchise eventually came full circle into what today is the San Jose Sharks, regarded as one of the most successful expansion franchises in NHL history.

That's about as close as you can get to saying "This franchise is the Oakland Seals" without fully admitting it, I think.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Score two, I think.

That's about as close as you can get to saying "This franchise is the Oakland Seals" without fully admitting it, I think.

I'd love to see them wear Seals throwbacks during warmups. Hell, just for :censored:s and giggles, have them wear white skates during warmups.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

While the Seals struggled on and off the ice to establish a foothold in the Bay Area, the heritage of that franchise eventually came full circle into what today is the San Jose Sharks, regarded as one of the most successful expansion franchises in NHL history.

There's also this line which literally mentions their shared ties.

Under the terms of the 1990 expansion agreement, the Sharks were allowed to participate in a dispersal draft, selecting players from the North Stars organization to comprise their expansion reserve list in San Jose, bringing the Seals genealogy back to the Bay Area.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

That's a well-designed and attractive logo, but (as @BrianLion mentioned) McMullen had bought the Rockies with the sole intention of moving them to New Jersey. To incorporate the Rockies into the design seems bizarre and off-putting to me. It'd be like the Ravens including Browns imagery on an Art Modell patch, or the Dodgers putting the old Brooklyn "B" on a Walter O'Malley patch (perhaps even stranger, actually, given that McMullen intended to move the Rockies from day one of his ownership). Obviously the wounds in Colorado aren't a fraction as deep, which is why there won't be any consternation about this among folks in Denver, but still. It's like whoever designed this had no sense of the history there.

(Note: not condemning McMullen for moving the Rockies to Jersey at all - they were inevitably going to move, whether it was to Jersey or Ottawa or somewhere else. Just saying, to commemorate the Rockies on a McMullen patch is extremely strange.)

Devils will wear their current white jersey's friday night while the alumni present will be wearing the original home white jerseys. Confirmed alumni are Chico Resch, Ken Daneyko, Randy McKay, Claude Lemieux, and Stephane Richer. If it wasn't for that 1995 Stanley Cup Championship the Devils may very well have relocated to Nashville. McMullen was unhappy with terms of the agreement with the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority (Owners of the Meadowlands/Brendan Byrne Arena) and was in heavy negotiations with Nashville representatives to move the team to a brand new arena there. By the Devils winning The Cup McMullen was able to renegotiate the Devils lease and keep the team in Jersey. It was McMullen's dream to eventually have a new arena built for the Devils on the river in Hoboken but sold the team before that plan got off the ground. 

I agree with kroywen that it's odd to incorporate the Colorado Rockies imagery into the patch. When the Devils moved they chose not to recognize any stats or records from either Kansas City or Colorado and basically considered themselves and like a brand new expansion team in 1982-83. When the Devils moved to the Prudential Center in Newark there was a mural painting on one of the walls the depicted the Kemper Arena (KC Scouts arena) McNichols Sports Arena (Colorado Rockies arena) and the Meadowlands. They also had a display with the original Jersey Devils (EHL) Kansas City Scouts and Colorado Rockies jerseys. I believe both have since been removed. 

Regardless, the patches worn under new ownership are miles ahead of what was worn during the Lou Lamoriello era. I'll take the Rockies/Devils patch over the black and white patches worn in the past any day.

218d32584de35851.jpg

136026990_slide.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

Even when the Devils had their original color scheme and had slightly more lively patches, they didn't even do it right. Their 10th anniversary patches were worn on the rear of the hem of the jersey.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 2016-12-24 at 0:09 AM, habsfan1 said:

Why did the Flames discontinue this great alternate jersey?

Baertschi-Cammalleri-Third_jersey_131101

The western style shoulders yokes were great. The unique collar laces were also great. The simplified number font and striping fixed a multitude of problems the current Flames primaries have. And now they ditched all of that in favor of the poorly executed edge jerseys that are still being worn. Whoever's in charge of the design department over there hasn't done a very good job, imo.

Also, a shame that this logo is gone too...

574832014.gif

Maybe they have intentions on going back to their retro look full time when Adidas takes over

It's cool that Len Shapiro will be at that game in San Jose. He's a nice guy who politely answered alot of my questions about the Seals a few years ago via E-Mails. I also didn't know the team was actually called the Bay Area Seals for the first 2 months of the 1970/71 season. I knew they were going to be called that and those SEALS wordmark jerseys were designed for that name but I always thought they changed the name to California Golden Seals BEFORE the season started!

The Catch of the Day!

The Blues website heading is the lighter blue, with the vintage logo replacing their current. (They'll be wearing them for six other Saturday games this season.)

While I love their current set, I wouldn't mind if they took the WC set, swapped out all the vintage white for white, changed the logo and collar and created an away jersey.

That being said, I think the best course of action is just making it their permanent third jersey.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Those light blue jerseys are a thing of beauty. If they were a woman, I would make sweet sweet love to her for 23 hours a day. I would take her to all the most exotic locales on the planet. I would buy her only the most exotic foods and the most fragrant of perfumes. I would buy her the most rarest of gems and jewels. I would buy an island in the South Pacific and name it after her.

The Catch of the Day!

21 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Those light blue jerseys are a thing of beauty. If they were a woman, I would make sweet sweet love to her for 23 hours a day. I would take her to all the most exotic locales on the planet. I would buy her only the most exotic foods and the most fragrant of perfumes. I would buy her the most rarest of gems and jewels. I would buy an island in the South Pacific and name it after her.

What about the 24th hour?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived