2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I guess 3/4 is better than 1/8.

gaedelrauch.jpg

Just an aside from 1/8...the Twins never should have gone away from those pinstripes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:
57 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I guess 3/4 is better than 1/8.

gaedelrauch.jpg

Just an aside from 1/8...the Twins never should have gone away from those pinstripes.

Right.  But this is the hat that goes with that uniform:

Image result for bert blyeven twins 1987

I have always disliked the TC as a cap logo, with any uniform.  If the team's locality name had been "Twin Cities", then a TC cap would have been appropriate.  But that was not the case. 

Though I suppose that the TC it is tolerable as a secondary logo worn on the sleeve.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  But this is the hat that goes with that uniform:

Image result for bert blyeven twins 1987

I have always disliked the TC as a cap logo, with any uniform.  If the team's locality name had been "Twin Cities", then a TC cap would have been appropriate.  But that was not the case. 

Though I suppose that the TC it is tolerable as a secondary logo worn on the sleeve.

I like the TC cap logo personally, but I agree the M logo is the cap logo that should go with that uniform since it matches the lettering on the jersey.

8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Austin "Pi" Matthews:

110000013840-MATTHEWS-B.jpg?v=1487698109

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 2/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Terrible look on the back, though. They went the Steelers route and put each number in an individual white rectangle on the back. Either add a thick white outline to the numbers, or go the route of the Habs' CAC throwbacks and @spyboy1's Sens concept, and put the whole number in one box of material. Leafs went with the worst option.

Someone remembered my Senators concept jersey? Oh hell yea. B)

I'm surprised they didn't go with the 1921-22 jersey since that was the year the St. Pats won their only Stanley Cup. The jersey is virtually the reverse of the one they chose, green on top, white band around the chest, green stripe below and white waist stripe, but... the name is just text and the one they chose is more of a "logo" format which would lend itself to hats and t-shirts better.

About the numbers each being on a separate "number plate", I've never seen a picture of the back of those sweaters to know if that is historically accurate. Has anyone else?

Toronto St. Pats 1921-22

TorontoStPats1917.png

Any word if Chicago is going to wear a throwback of some sort? They weren't a team until after this jersey was no longer being worn.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

54 minutes ago, spyboy1 said:

Any word if Chicago is going to wear a throwback of some sort? They weren't a team until after this jersey was no longer being worn.

I don't think so, unless they surprise everyone by dusting off the 2009's winter classic jersey, i'm pretty sure we would've known about it by now

On February 21, 2017 at 3:10 PM, CreamSoda said:

Austin "Pi" Matthews:

110000013840-MATTHEWS-B.jpg?v=1487698109

All I see is a PITA to customize correctly. :(

No one is going to have big blocks of Edge material like that available. :(

4 hours ago, twi said:

All I see is a PITA to customize correctly. :(

No one is going to have big blocks of Edge material like that available. :(

I'm sure you'd have good luck sending it to the Leafs' on-ice customizer.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

my wife boycotted McDonalds 9 years ago after going there to get a Shamrock shake on St. Patty's and they were out. WTF it was 4 pm.

Can't blame her for her anger. Those shakes are delicious

17 hours ago, M4One said:

Not an actual picture of in game action, so I can't tell you if this is accurate, but it would have looked a whole lot better.

Toronto%20St%20Pats%201922-25.gif

Assuming that’s correct (I haven’t been able to find any surviving artifacts, and I don’t know if one exists), it would only allow for a 6-inch number at the most. NHL rules state that a 10-inch rear number must be displayed on the jersey. Thus, an alternative approach was needed that was true to the era. Outlined numbers were very rare in this era, and the Leafs in particular never wore them, so I think it would have been just as questionable.

Because there are no surviving examples of this jersey that we can find, it’s also difficult to verify the style of the numbers, which is why these were designed to match the character of the crest lettering.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived