2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bowld said:

Not sure if it's due to the switch to Adidas or a uni change but Lids currently has home and road Avalanche jerseys on sale for $30. 

Edit.. It's only the jerseys with the yetti shoulder patch

The Avalanche had a charity floor hockey game recently and used very generic jerseys for the event.

The logo on both the navy and the white jersey were the Mountain C.   No sign of the normal A anywhere; and that is pretty much the norm for all marketing and merchandise for them this year.  I think its pretty safe to say the Avs are going to the C logo full time next year.

Mu4njQN.jpg

I know this has been brought up before, but I was talking about this with a friend the other day, and now that it's come up again, I guess I should ask...

Why are the Avalanche even bothering to remember the Hockey Rockies, anyways? What legacy is there that's worth paying tribute to with a stylized alternate/possible new home jersey? 

Like, let's really dive into this: the Hockey Rockies existed for 6 seasons, and they stunk in all 6 of 'em - the most wins they ever had in a season was 22, and the best average attendance they had was 9,788 (in an arena built for 16,399, and one the Avs had no problems selling out, BTW). Don't forget, they were the same franchise that Gretzky decried as a "Mickey Mouse organisation"; one that, between Kansas City, Denver & New Jersey, missed the playoffs in 12 of their first 13 seasons. In that one playoff season, 1976-77, they somehow finished 2nd in their division despite only managing 19 wins & a team record 59 points before getting swept 2-0 by the Flyers. Arguably their most famous player - Lanny McDonald - was only there 'cause he was exiled out of Toronto, and even then Denver was just a stopover before moving on to Calgary. Their most famous coach - Don Cherry - proved past his prime in the only year he was there; and their one lasting legacy, the widespread use of their goal song, doesn't even matter anymore 'cause its singer turned out to be a pedophile! And on top of all that, they're not even the most famous sports team to be called the Colorado Rockies!

Seriously, the Avalanche's own 21-season history blows the Hockey Rockies' out of the water, with 2 Stanley Cups and 9 division titles compared to absolute bupkis. It's a little like the NY Mets' new stadium paying more attention to the NY Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers' histories than their own - except the Giants & Dodgers actually had histories worth remembering. Admittedly the Rockies' identity was the only thing they had going for them - their logo was quite clever and fit the team's name, and I personally love red-blue-yellow colour schemes - but even then the Avs are half-assing it; the logo's been simplified from "Colorado Flag Carved Into A Mountain" to "C Inside A Frost-Tipped Triangle" and their muted colours don't work as well with it, in my opinion at least. Hell, if the Avs straight up stole the Rockies' away jersey and made it a vintage alternate, I think I would've liked that better.

But then again... a pale, inferior imitation of something that was already done much better in the past... maybe that really does suit the Avalanche right now! :P

19 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Why are the Avalanche even bothering to remember the Hockey Rockies, anyways? What legacy is there that's worth paying tribute to with a stylized alternate/possible new home jersey? 

It's called bandwagon jumping.  Any excuse to ditch a unique identity to play O6 dress-up and haplessly invent a history that isn't there.  It happened to the Lightning, Hurricanes and recently, the Panthers.  None of those teams look better for it and I can't imagine the Avalanche will either.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

It's called bandwagon jumping.  Any excuse to ditch a unique identity to play O6 dress-up and haplessly invent a history that isn't there.  It happened to the Lightning, Hurricanes and recently, the Panthers.  None of those teams look better for it and I can't imagine the Avalanche will either.

IMO the lightning needed to strip their logo down, the Av's not so much.

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

Colorado state flag merch is hot right now.

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Unpopular opinion, but that'll still be an upgrade from where they are now. 

Agreed. The Avs' current logo has never looked good, and the pre-Edge mountain range sweaters are overrated.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Unpopular opinion, but that'll still be an upgrade from where they are now. 

Uniform-wise, sure.  Anything would be an improvement over the bib template, even something as generic as the current thirds.  Logo-wise, not so much.  Ditching a logo with 2 championships behind it for a bad Rockies-recolour is a moronic move, regardless of what you think of the designs.  All that winning history down the drain to pay homage to a team that has won nothing.  It would honestly make as much sense for them to adopt the Devils logo.

pnMutl7.jpg

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Agreed. The Avs' current logo has never looked good, and the pre-Edge mountain range sweaters are overrated.

If anything, they seem underrated around these parts.  Like everyone forgot what the team looked like when they were last relevant.

I think this is management being inept and failing to grasp what fans want. Management sees that fans don't like the Edge click-n-fill crap, and they want to change it. However, and this is important, they don't mentally differentiate the Edge click-n-fill uniform style from the pre-Edge look (since they largely use the same logos, fonts, and color hierarchy).

Therefore, management believes the fans want an entirely new identity, which is where the NHL Rockies-inspired look originates. Both retro-chic and the Colorado flag are big sellers at the moment, and management wants to capitalize on both of those potential markets through a tenuous connection to the NHL Rockies. This approach both ignores the losing tradition of the Rockies' logo, and resigns the team to trend-chasing.

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's not always about "relevance" or about winning.  Plenty have teams have played their best while wearing their worst uniforms.

The Avs' primary logo is just bad. Even though they have in the past played well while wearing it. 

In this case it is.  Whether you care for the design or not is irrelevant.  This is the Colorado Avalanche identity...

4dKoxWV.jpg

ryQqvOa.jpg
i3Iok0p.jpg

cAUxVl0.jpg

0RVJgcr.jpg

yVxHG5V.jpg

I think the Avalanche logo is great.

I think the C-Mountain is a nice alternate logo (I'm not as hot on the jerseys), but as Morgo has said (count on one hand the amount of times I've said that) the C-Mountain look just isn't the Colorado Avalanche. The "toothpaste" or "Mountain Dew" logo, as some detractors have called it, is the Avs. It does everything it needs to do. It's a mountain. It's an A. There's snow coming down it, like, hey, an avalanche. And it was the 90s, so let's throw an action puck on there.

Could it be refined in ways? Probably. But I think the Avs are a case where they got pretty damn close to exactly what they needed to do out of the gate. The success they had early on helped cement the look as what they are, definitely. But I think they still got it down initially without that extra backing.

The C-Mountain is just... bland? Sure, Colorado state C. Sure, mountain shape. But everything is so flat. Now, had the Avs started with that logo and with some adjustments tell me that it's a Rockies connection and somehow a Nordiques connection... maybe I buy it? I think it's a nice compliment to the Avs, to Colorado, to its brief/unsuccessful early history (which, I actually think the Devils did a lot better job of recently), but it doesn't work as a main Avs look to me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived