2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

36 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Logo arguments aside, this is definitely the biggest problem I have with the navy alternates.  Up close the uniforms look decent yet from afar, the dark shades of Maroon and Navy just kind of blur together.  It also doesn't really make sense for them to make a colour they never previously used the new dominant swatch.  They've been the de-facto burgundy team for 21 years, why change now?

If they truly are going with the Rockalanche logo, my hope is that they at least fix these problems first.  The snow capped shoulders are a good idea but the execution looks goofy as hell.  If the goal is go traditional, why not use a rounded yoke similar to Montreal's roads.

It also doesn't make sense for team that has 2 championships and winning history to throw away their logo for a nobodies nothing team from the 70s, but logic went out the door a long time ago in the hockey world. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

well what do you want the leafs to wear then? Anmd the capitals logo is not very good at all, much better when they had the eagle. The stick in rink is one of the most overrated boring and uninspiring logos ever. 

Why? Because its "too simple"? All the logos considered great are ridiculously simple when you remove them from their history. The SIR has more detail than a lot of them. I never understood that argument. I would rather have a classic, simple logo that is a bit "boring" than the overdesigned mess that is the Orca.

17 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Whatever the Sens do logo wise I'd like them to make black their primary colour again. Every Canadian team wears either red or blue, it would be their chance for a bit of distinction visually.

The Oilers will buck that trend by switching to orange next season. I'm in agreement that the Sens should go back to black though. More emphasis on gold would help too... provided it's metallic.

1 minute ago, Chromatic said:

Why? Because its "too simple"? All the logos considered great are ridiculously simple when you remove them from their history. The SIR has more detail than a lot of them. I never understood that argument. I would rather have a classic, simple logo that is a bit "boring" than the overdesigned mess that is the Orca.

they're simple because most of the ones are form a century ago and there really inst much you can do for a team called the leafs other than to have a leaf. Can you not figure this stuff out man! Canucks being an abstract kind of word gives them a endless realm of possibility for a logo and they just settle for something so simple and that doesn't even really show what is it supposed to be (a C wrapped around a rink). Meanwhile they have a logo currently that has a unique artistic style native to area the team is from that has some movement and some originality to it, and even championship final appearance and some presidents trophies to it. So lets get rid of that for another boring logo from the 70's when the team was nothing.  

1 hour ago, Rollins Man said:

no there is no right when it comes to logos, but if you think a stick in a box is a good unique look that says it all when it comes to your standards and everyone like you. 

You really don't get how "opinions" work do you? Frankly? I find the fetishisation of mid/late 90s design from some circles to be a shame. I was the target demo when all of these designs were released, and I rather prefer the return to more timeless and colourful design we've been seeing.

Yeah, the Lightning and Hurricanes botched it hard, but other teams have pulled it off wonderfully. In my opinion? The Avs' Colorado flag-inspired alternate/soon to be primary is a case of a team doing it right.

As for the Canucks? The stick in rink isn't even my favourite of their many logos (Johnny Canuck is, if you're wondering) but I'll happily take the stick in rink over the orca or the abstract hockey skate.

20 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Whatever the Sens do logo wise I'd like them to make black their primary colour again. Every Canadian team wears either red or blue, it would be their chance for a bit of distinction visually.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that the Sens tend to suffer a bit by being stuck right in the middle of Leafs and Habs territory. The Habs' red sweaters are probably the sport's most famous look, so the Sens going black to set themselves apart would be a smart move.

Just now, Rollins Man said:

they're simple because most of the ones are form a century ago and there really inst much you can do for a team called the leafs other than to have a leaf. Can you not figure this stuff out man! Canucks being an abstract kind of word gives them a endless realm of possibility for a logo and they just settle for something so simple and that doesn't even really show what is it supposed to be (a C wrapped around a rink). Meanwhile they have a logo currently that has a unique artistic style native to area the team is from that has some movement and some originality to it, and even championship final appearance and some presidents trophies to it. So lets get rid of that for another boring logo from the 70's when the team was nothing.  

And yet those simple logos designed a century ago hold up as being  among the best in sports, across every sport. 

You are right, a Canuck is an abstract concept that is hard to represent in a logo. But if we're going by your line of thinking, if the SIR poorly represents a Canuck, the Orca completely misrepresents what it is. In my perfect world the Canucks would adopt a lumberjack motif with Johnny Canuck for some distinction, the same way the Patriots have made minutemen their identity.

And while you are correct in that its using the local indigenous art style, its not doing it well. If you want a good example of PNW Native style in a logo, look at the Seahawks.

You could make the argument that the Orca is also linked to the worst years in franchise history, and a failure to get a cup. So thats a moot point. 

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

You certainly begin to notice patterns after time and I'm seeing an awful one.  It's not even a question of 'traditional' vs 'modern,' its a question of trying to force square pegs into round holes.  You have new teams with established, modern identities trying to copy original six aesthetics when they have no business doing so.  There's the Lightning playing Leafs-dressup, the Panthers using the Habs chest stripes, the Hurricanes ditching their unique striping and now the Avalanche flushing their entire 21 year history down the toilet.  I like the uniforms of the Original Six as much as anyone here, I just don't think every team needs to look like them.  Not only does it remove any opportunity for creativity it cheapens the original six aesthetic by watering it down.

That's not even what I meant. What I'm getting at is that you notice the same patterns regardless of whatever aesthetic is "in" at the moment. Ever since the alternate program started in the mid-90s.

Team introduces a third sweater. Team starts to emphasise that sweater over the primary look in branding. Team maybe replaces the dark sweater with the alternate in the playoffs. Team makes the alternate the full-time primary look after a season or two. Happened in the 90s. Happened in the 2000s. Happened in the 2010s.

That's what I meant. I knew the Avs would eventually switch to the state flag alternate look the moment they replaced the Yeti foot logo with the state flag C and dropped the primary from all of the anniversary branding.

What is honestly wrong about a team established in 1996 taking design cues from the 90's anyways?  I'm not saying they need to go Wild-Wing on us, but I hardly see anything wrong with being proud of their actual history instead of pretending they're from 1920...

There are plenty of logos from the 90s I like. The Avs' logo isn't one of those. I donno. Sometimes I see a logo that's obviously dated and tied to a decade (not necessarily the 90s specifically) and I go "you know what? The dated look works for them." The Dolphins' throwback logo is an example of that. It's clearly a product of the late 60s/early 70s, but it has this kitchy Florida-ness to it that works for them.

With the Avs? I donno man, it just looks tired. I could look at something like the Panthers' original logo and go "obviously 90s, but I like it," but with the Avs? I just sort of thought "oh wow, that looks old" one day. Maybe it's the forced perspective. Maybe it's the skewed circle. Maybe it's the heavy outlining and detail work. Whatever the reason, I just don't like it.

The current logo contains a 'C' as well...

You've claimed that before, and I still don't see it. I think claiming the Avs' logo includes a C is a huge stretch.

The updated Rockies logo, on the other hand, could represent any Colorado based establishment.

I did a NHL concept series way back when I was in high school. I knew I wanted a new logo, and I crudely mashed up an actual triangle shaped avalanche warning sign (like the one @andrewharrington posted) with the team's captain "C."

Maybe it's because that experience familiarised me with what an avalanche warning sign looked like, but I would see a triangle logo depicting a mountain and the C from the Colorado state flag. And the colours are maroon and dark blue. I think I'd be able to figure out the connection to the Colorado Avalanche.

14 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to be so condescending. That's extremely impolite. 

The foot was awful. Bigfoot's supposed to be in the Pacific Northwest and the yeti's in the Himalayas. It made no sense to use a yeti foot on a uniform for a team in Colorado.

10 minutes ago, Yippy said:

I would like the Sens to go with an updated version of this. The Capitals already did a fantastic job bringing back a workmark logo, I don't see why the Sens can't make it work. 

303d6bd3230c201f759c57c00205f6fe.jpg

bhmoV84.png

14 minutes ago, Yippy said:

I would like the Sens to go with an updated version of this. The Capitals already did a fantastic job bringing back a workmark logo, I don't see why the Sens can't make it work. 

303d6bd3230c201f759c57c00205f6fe.jpg

This doesn't even look like a sports logo. It looks like a third rate municipal government logo.

Also hilariously enough the leaf in the Flag is the same as the Ballard era leafs logo.

This doesn't even look like a sports logo. It looks like a third rate municipal government logo.

That's why they need to update it and in your words make it look less like a "third rate municipal government logo" 

An updated version with those colors and less emphasis on red would be terrific. 

In my ideal world, I would have the sens go heritage full time, have an alternate with their amazing unused profile logo, and have the peace tower logo as a shoulder patch.

As for the Avs, just replace their current jerseys with anything, promote the C-triangle logo, and recolor it to the blue they use now. Navy and the Avalanche don't go together IMO. 

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

la

1 minute ago, Yippy said:

That's why they need to update it and in your words make it look less like a "third rate municipal government logo" 

An updated version with those colors and less emphasis on red would be terrific. 

I don't understand what you want though, the word "Ottawa Senators" with the tower forced in?

la

I don't understand what you want though, the word "Ottawa Senators" with the tower forced in?

All I'm saying is the Capitals made a workmark logo work (see image) I think it'd be nice to see another workmark logo. 

284.png

5 minutes ago, Yippy said:

JbUzehY.png

Just now, Yippy said:

All I'm saying is the Capitals made a workmark logo work (see image) I think it'd be nice to see another workmark logo. 

284.png

I suppose. I always felt that was Washington's 'thing' though, what made their look unique and actually work. If another team started doing it it would be in poor taste, like if they just wrote "Senators" diagonally down the front a la the Rangers.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

JbUzehY.png

See, that's a beautiful color combination and not currently used in the NHL. Apply those colors to an updated workmark logo and put this on the shoulders and I think you instantly have a Top 5 look. 

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I suppose. I always felt that was Washington's 'thing' though, what made their look unique and actually work. If another team started doing it it would be in poor taste, like if they just wrote "Senators" diagonally down the front a la the Rangers.

dc32f877e7d9f9450695255b36f65afa.jpg

Archived