2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea of a Peace Tower logo and the mint green of the tower as an accent color jumping off a black/red/gold palette. Something the Sens should get back to for sure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

33 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

There are plenty of logos from the 90s I like. The Avs' logo isn't one of those. I donno. Sometimes I see a logo that's obviously dated and tied to a decade (not necessarily the 90s specifically) and I go "you know what? The dated look works for them." The Dolphins' throwback logo is an example of that. It's clearly a product of the late 60s/early 70s, but it has this kitchy Florida-ness to it that works for them.

With the Avs? I donno man, it just looks tired. I could look at something like the Panthers' original logo and go "obviously 90s, but I like it," but with the Avs? I just sort of thought "oh wow, that looks old" one day. Maybe it's the forced perspective. Maybe it's the skewed circle. Maybe it's the heavy outlining and detail work. Whatever the reason, I just don't like it @andrewharrington

We'll have to agree to disagree.  The avalanche-warning connection makes me feel a little better about the new logo but this uniform will always be my favorite.  Different strokes and such.  Anyhow, I'll give it a rest now :P .

AnGcLa4.jpg

58 minutes ago, Yippy said:

I would like the Sens to go with an updated version of this. The Capitals already did a fantastic job bringing back a workmark logo, I don't see why the Sens can't make it work. 

303d6bd3230c201f759c57c00205f6fe.jpg

Nobody really likes this logo, just as nobody really likes the Caps' logo. Everybody's clamoring for the Caps to use the "Weagle", anyways.

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

@hockey week 's "Peace Tower in the heritage O with some maple leaves" is the best Peace Tower Sens concept out there. And that's including the team's two official Peace Tower-inspired logos.

It's really perfect, IMO. It looks like a logo that could last 100 years. It has a timeless quality to it.

I just wish we were allowed to post a picture of it here. ;)

7 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

Does this signal Anaheim isn't promoting third jersey/Mighty Duck? That would be a shame. 

IMG_1480.JPG

That's for the 10th anniversary of the Stanley Cup win, which they are celebrating this weekend.

I'm not sure how you're getting "not promoting the third jersey" out of this (which I believe they won't anyways).

IEI5Tg1.png

12 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Easy. It's an avalanche moving down a mountain (the A). Your eye starts at the top and flows downward with the ice trail that is being led by the puck. There's directional movement. It's not static like the triangle. I see it and I know exactly what it is.

If I'd never been provided context for the triangle logo I wouldn't have known it was for the Avalanche. It's this same reason the Canucks stick in rink is a bad logo.

That's not fair. 1. if we're holding "dated" against the A logo then we have to hold "dated" against the triangle because it's basically the Rockies logo and that's not subjective. 2. I don't buy that as a bad word. I think a lot of really successful logos could be described as "dated". 

“Dated” is an executional assessment of the A logo, whereas you’ve moved the goalposts to make it a conceptual assessment of the triangle logo. Those are two very different critiques, and you’re no longer comparing apples to apples at that point. The triangle logo is inspired by an old logo, but the execution of it is not dated.

It’s true that it’s not instantly apparent the triangle logo belongs to the Avalanche, but the information is there, and that's what I find engaging about it; there’s something to discover and something to share with those who haven’t yet made the connection. That’s infinitely more fun than a logo that says everything it’s ever going to say in one glance.

Now that you mention it, if you’re going to levy that as a critique of the triangle logo, you’d have to do the same for the A logo, because it’s not instantly apparent that it represents a Colorado team, and worse yet, there’s nothing there to help you figure it out.

Also, when do we start docking points from the A logo for the trail behind the puck not actually looking very much like an avalanche? ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I cant wait to see Ottawa get rid of a roman figure. I mean, never understood the link. Fingers all crossed they go the "O" way o make sure they dont come up with a atrocity.

We should make a topic on those curious logos..

43 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

Does this signal Anaheim isn't promoting third jersey/Mighty Duck? That would be a shame. And not that I question Chris Creamer, but I have a feeling the Sens will make the change next season- the team president is just being ominous. 

IMG_1480.JPG

Congrats on making the best trophy in sports look like a chrome sex toy, Anaheim.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

55 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

“Dated” is an executional assessment of the A logo, whereas you’ve moved the goalposts to make it a conceptual assessment of the triangle logo. Those are two very different critiques, and you’re no longer comparing apples to apples at that point. The triangle logo is inspired by an old logo, but the execution of it is not dated.

That's been my assessment of the triangle logo since the beginning. It's way too close to the Rockies logo which is itself a dated logo. I'm sorry I can't get behind a blatant ripoff of a previous logo, a logo that belongs to a different franchise, a franchise so irrelevant and forgotten that the city's MLB expansion team had no qualms about giving the name a go just 11 years later.

My point was that if you're going to used "dated" negatively to describe the A logo then you have to apply the same consideration to the triangle. If it's a modern execution of the Rockies concept, well I don't agree. I think it's a modern appropriation of a logo that doesn't belong to them. It would be like if the Seattle Mariners came out with a retrace of the Seattle Pilots logo. 

Plus I think the general shape looks goofy on the front of a bunch of players wearing it. That is obviously subjective, however. 

It’s true that it’s not instantly apparent the triangle logo belongs to the Avalanche, but the information is there, and that's what I find engaging about it; there’s something to discover and something to share with those who haven’t yet made the connection. That’s infinitely more fun than a logo that says everything it’s ever going to say in one glance.

Now that you mention it, if you’re going to levy that as a critique of the triangle logo, you’d have to do the same for the A logo, because it’s not instantly apparent that it represents a Colorado team, and worse yet, there’s nothing there to help you figure it out.

Most logos in sports don't have anything instantly apparent that represents the team's location. 

Also, when do we start docking points from the A logo for the trail behind the puck not actually looking very much like an avalanche? ?

I'm not understanding this. What about it doesn't look like an avalanche? The snow, the motion lines, the fact that it's flowing downhill? It looks more like an avalanche than the avalanche depicted on that triangular avalanche warning sign. I knew the second it was revealed in SI for Kids what I was looking at and I was a child. 

Credit to them for not coming out with an anthropomorphic mountain with an angry face. or this

Avalance_004.jpg

I would not have defended this. :P

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived