2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

59 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Boston added lines that are unnecessary. Clutters. 

27.gifvenf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif

Vancouver's white inner line weight is superior but the hockey stick is now cartoony as opposed to iconic and the closing of the shape clutters. 

283.giffor12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

Both minor details but pretty substantial downgrades in my eyes. 

They didn't add lines, they just made them bolder, which IMO looks better, especially with the seriffed "B" that fits the logo better.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Ummmmm... Nope...

They thickened the lines, and added serifs... It has the exact same amount of lines as the previous logo. The new logo actually cleans it's self up better than the previous one...

The "B" is on top of the spokes, instead of being squished inside...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Boston is a mess.

The need to have the B be connected to the spokes, like in the old logo.  

The current logo just sits on top and it looks poor.  Need to remove the extra black outline and have both the B and the spoke outlines merge together.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Vancouver's white inner line weight is superior but the hockey stick is now cartoony as opposed to iconic and the closing of the shape clutters. 

3 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Ummmmm... Nope...

They thickened the lines, and added serifs... It has the exact same amount of lines as the previous logo. The new logo actually cleans it's self up better than the previous one...

The "B" is on top of the spokes, instead of being squished inside...

Lines added where the yellow around the B intersects with the spokes.

26 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

This, cleaned up a bit, would look much nicer for Boston:

uYuAGwd.png

I do like this one better, as the B is interacting with the spokes, rather than an outlined B placed on top of the spokes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's too similar to a logo that doesn't belong to their franchise. I can't move past this. The Atlanta Thrashers Winnipeg Jets have the same damn name as the city's previous team and posters threw fits at the notion they use anything resembling the Phoenix Coyotes Jets logos. Why is this different? 

I was never one of those people. 

Both the league and the new Jets have made it clear the records of the old Jets belong to the Coyotes. The new Jets honour old Jets legends but they don't pretend to be that old team. 

My issues with the old Jets' logos boil down to them not being that good. I much prefer the modified RCAF roundel they use now. 

I don't mind them wearing the old uniforms for the sake of throwbacks or alternates though, because they're not pretending they're that team. And the Avs aren't pretending to be the Rockies. 

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

See Boston is a interesting example.

2016 boston.jpg

Boston Bruins 1982-83 F jersey.jpg

By far the 1982 is better IMHO.

Looking at it on my phone, I think you're absolutely right.  At small size, the old logo clearly reads as a B.  The spokes recede slightly into the background and allow the letter to dominate.   The new one is so complicated, and all the black lines so muddy, that it all competes for the eye and reads more as a blob. 

The Bruins should never change anything anything about their identity ever again.  The uniforms and logo are a sterling example of hockey aesthetics perfected.

The 1995 spoked 'B' looks really dated now that the new brand has been established and minted with a championship.  The pooh-bear logo and somewhat questionable uniforms don't help its case either.

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

This, cleaned up a bit, would look much nicer for Boston:

uYuAGwd.png

Apart from the wider gap in the yellow next to the serifs which bugs me (and could be fixed), this is an upgrade.

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

7 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Totally agree. The Bruins should connect the B to the spokes without the lines. That way, it'll be easier to invert the black and yellow on the black jerseys. I miss seeing the yellow B and circle with black spokes from the Boston Garden days.

As for the Canucks, I will take the updated Stick In Rink over the orca any day. The white 'C' is superior. However, the logo needs to ditch the crooked and cartoony "Nike" stick and go back with the classic stick. It might mean going back to the drawing board with the original logo by enlarging the stick but keeping it straight and then widening the inner border 'C' to complement the size of the stick.

17 hours ago, ColeJ said:

It may be counter-productive to "Southern hockey" to make note of this, but the man in charge of the Stars redesign from Day 1 was a Canadian businessman that plays beer league himself, and heavily weighed the opinions of the fans (myself, luckily, included) in his decision making.

I think that may be the problem because their template couldn't look any more like a generic beer league hockey team. 

11 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

I think that may be the problem because their template couldn't look any more like a generic beer league hockey team. 

So a good, solid hockey sweater template with unique colours and a great logo is "generic" and "beer league"? Please.

Look, the Stars looked great in Minnesota. They looked great when they came to Dallas. They look great now. You know when they didn't look great? When they had All-Star Game ripoffs that often had numbers overlapping with hem and arm stripes and a star logo that wasn't even lined up with the giant star-shaped waist striping.

As I said earlier, late 90s/early 2000s era stuff seems way overrated here to me. It was mostly dark and experimental. The latter of which isn't necessarily bad, but you need to keep in mind that experiments don't always work out. The Leafs with their custom numbers and numbers outlined in silver, the Stars with their black paired with dark forest green and star-shaped striping, the Sabres completely redesigning and recolouring everything...there's a lot from that era that simply isn't that good.

The Stars currently have a toned-down look compared to the ASG rip-off look, but it's as @ColeJ said. The team realised who they were. A Next Six team with decades of history, three Stanley Cup Finals appearances and a Cup to their name. A team that can say they have some heritage worth celebrating. They realised that, and they decided to dress like it. Sorry if they don't look like a late 90s branding executive's wet dream, but they made the right choice.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

So a good, solid hockey sweater template with unique colours and a great logo is "generic" and "beer league"? Please.

The logos are fine i like them but the template is putrid. Solid is not the word for it, boring, uninspiring, is more like it. Please.

Archived