2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Islanders Devils isn't a sexy matchup.  By selecting NYR and Buffalo you've got the biggest media market's Original 6 team against a young up and coming Buffalo team with Jack Eichel.

Well really any matchup featuring the current Devils squad isn't going to be sexy. Devils games are where offense goes to die. So I wont argue with you there.  

However,  a playoff contending team with John Tavares > team that hasn't seen a playoff game in a decade with Jack Eichel. 

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

We disagree. 

There's some good there that could certainly work today, but a lot of it is overly dark, needlessly trendy, and very busy. 

The 90's had its fair share of trash for sure but overall, I think the good outweighs the bad.

Winners:  Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Hartford Whalers, Colorado Avalanche, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (main set only), Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks (both sets), New Jersey Devils, NY Islanders (the darkening worked here), Vancouver Canucks.

Losers: Every Ducks alternate, the other third jerseys from 1995/96, Lightning Storm alt, Flames pedestal set, Dallas Stars (1994/95-1998/99), Oilers darkened set, Blues angular set.

Debatable: Buffalo Sabres, Phoenix Coyotes.

13 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The 90's had its fair share of trash for sure but overall, I think the good outweighs the bad.

Winners:  Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Hartford Whalers, Colorado Avalanche, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (main set only), Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks (both sets), New Jersey Devils, NY Islanders (the darkening worked here), Vancouver Canucks.

Losers: Every Ducks alternate, the other third jerseys from 1995/96, Lightning Storm alt, Flames pedestal set, Dallas Stars (1994/95-1998/99), Oilers darkened set, Blues angular set.

Still struggling to understand the Panthers choice last year. Not that those unis are truly bad, but why not go with the originals with the new logos, colors, and normal shoulder yokes?

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I disagree on the Wild Wing set and the Kings Burger King alternate.  Yet again when those came out I was nine years old so of course I will still like those.  Everything else on the loser side I agree with 100%

Can't agree at all on the Whalers.  They ruined a great logo by adding pointless extra elements. 

This:

9zt534ipbfprlfs2vsqfugw41.png

is worlds better than this:

clzty1tgf8glzas62fq6fyphr.png

The three extra outlines are heavy-handed, destroying the negative space and cluttering up the design.  Not to mention the darker color scheme is so much drearier, exacerbated by dropping gray/silver in the place of white. 

Even the whale tail was made more squat, less graceful.  The effect is ruined.  And worse than being ill-conceived, the outlines aren't even executed well.  Look at the upper corners - the tail has a smooth inside curve but the blue outline is a harsh, sharp angle.  It's really jarring and discordant. 

Some good designs did come out of the 1990s.  But this logo isn't among them. 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Ha! I like all of those losers.  

I'm an 80s/90s kid through and through.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I thought the Oilers 90s sets were great. If not for all the history in the orange and blue I think a lot of people would agree. The only real knock against them was that they were too dark, but at the same time I think its okay to have some dark teams, so long as the whole league does not look muddy and indistinguishable.

14 minutes ago, Ark said:

How can you say the Islanders were good but the Oilers weren't? They are basically the same...

And the Oilers makes a lot of sense given their team name. 

Because the Islanders used orange while the Oilers created the illusion of it by outlining copper with thin red outlines.  The copper looked great on the logos (metallic) but on the fabric, it looked drab and tired.

Copper could have looked great with the Oilers, but they needed a brighter shade. 

As far as their 1990s logos went, this wasn't bad:

b6cg654v7eu7nh9r0eeajgpre.png

And I rather liked the idea behind this:

90.png

Clean that up a little, remove the clutter and it could work as a shoulder patch today. 

But this was profoundly stupid. 

3329_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2002.png

My objection to the navy-copper-red Oilers identity is simple. Look at what it replaced:

image.jpg

Vibrant colors and a classic template, associated with the greatest player and one of the most powerful dynasties in the history of the sport, should not have been replaced by that dark garbage. That's also why I have a problem with the WHA sweaters becoming the primary home sweaters.

However, the old shoulder patch does look pretty good in the classic colors (per @McCarthy):

Oilalt_zpsxyacvhp6.png

17 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

im actually not a huge fan of the original lightning look, i actually like their current look more even though i hate 06 dressup but something about it just looks right. 

i personally liked the islander 1998 look, always felt they should wear a darker blue while the oilers would get the brighter blue, and i even liked the oilers in darker blue.

The bruins, preds and kings are teams that i would say look better now than what they had in the 90's but i do miss purple in the nhl. 

Not many were, besides the color scheme, that logo was horrendous. I agree they're much better looking now.

Archived