Jump to content

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes


TheGrimReaper
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well they have one Cup in black and khaki, and two Cups in black and athletic gold so....

 

:P

 

Ah-ha! But they (also) made two Stanley Cup Finals in a row, saw the rise of one of the most talented and force-fed popular players of all time in Sidney Crosby, almost consistently ranked as one of the powerhouses in the East, had a plethora of young talent, and at one point an All-Star lineup, all of this in black and greeny-beige! Of course, none of this changes the fact that the uniforms are mediocre. Aaand unlike certain other teams that have been discussed ad nauseam, at least these drab Pens jerseys have a saving grace in the form of the logo :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Of the post-edge era, the Penguins are easily the worst looking cup winners.

 

If we're talking about the years since Edge came in, it's only really between them and the Kings. The Pens template uniform isn't particularly good, but the obnoxious sleeve piping on the Kings jerseys makes them less pleasing to look at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I see it...

 

Penguins athletic gold: Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Tom Barasso

Penguins vegas gold: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Marc-André Fleury

 

And now it's going to be a big giant mix mash of eras...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

The way I see it...

 

Penguins athletic gold: Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Tom Barasso

Penguins vegas gold: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Marc-André Fleury

 

And now it's going to be a big giant mix mash of eras...

Except is was beautiful uniforms and then UGLY, templated uniforms that represent a decent team. If the template from before the edge carried over, then they're uniform set would be perfect right now... Beautiful Vegas gold regular uniforms, and a beautiful Pittsburgh Gold alt..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Except is was beautiful uniforms and then UGLY, templated uniforms that represent a decent team. If the template from before the edge carried over, then they're uniform set would be perfect right now... Beautiful Vegas gold regular uniforms, and a beautiful Pittsburgh Gold alt..

 

I fully agree that the template is a bigger issue than the shade of gold being used. No one thinks their jersey template is any good. However, instead of ressurecting the pre-edge jerseys, this one may be a better suit (minus the weird cut on the sides and the chrome crest)...

 

penguins-stadium-series-article.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

 

I fully agree that the template is a bigger issue than the shade of gold being used. No one thinks their jersey template is any good. However, instead of ressurecting the pre-edge jerseys, this one may be a better suit (minus the weird cut on the sides and the chrome crest)...

 

penguins-stadium-series-article.jpg

 

I can live with the pre-edge vegas gold uniforms but these stadium series ones are ugly as :censored:...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But if the Penguins have people complaining about looking like the Bruins now...those unis would make them a vegas-gold knockoff.

 

Seriously, if you want to make the city of Pittsburgh absolutely ecstatic about the Pens' uniforms, you do this:

91Road.jpg90home.jpg93Road.jpg
and you allow only minor tweaks. The white jersey's hemline is all sorts of goofy, make that make sense, and put the skating penguin on the shoulders of the alt. Everyone in the city loves that bland Rangers knockoff, and i don't get it, but I know what people here love.

 

Then wear the gold alt or blue in every outdoor or special event, and you'll have the best of all worlds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

But if the Penguins have people complaining about looking like the Bruins now...those unis would make them a vegas-gold knockoff.

 

Seriously, if you want to make the city of Pittsburgh absolutely ecstatic about the Pens' uniforms, you do this:

91Road.jpg90home.jpg93Road.jpg
and you allow only minor tweaks. The white jersey's hemline is all sorts of goofy, make that make sense, and put the skating penguin on the shoulders of the alt. Everyone in the city loves that bland Rangers knockoff, and i don't get it, but I know what people here love.

 

Then wear the gold alt or blue in every outdoor or special event, and you'll have the best of all worlds.

If the Penguins are going back to their throwback full time, I want their matching road jersey to have the same waist striping as the black jersey. As for that mid-90's jersey on the right, I think it would be a great third jersey, but I also think it would be interesting to see a gold version of that as a third jersey. If not that, then I would like to see their powder blue Winter Classic jersey be used as a third again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CRichardson said:

I wouldn't call them ugly as :censored: as they're certainly an improvement over what they currently wear, but they're definitely inferior to the pre-Edge set.

 

Truncated stripes, cut on the side, weird modern shoulder yokes, khaki/beige, striping pattern that has nothing special, laughable socks and pants. The only thing good about it would be the logo but they found a way to ruin it. They looked like clowns.Penguins.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm of the opinion that a team should look their best. 

Now I don't think "best" necessarily means what looks best aesthetically. Mostly because what looks best aesthetically can't be quantified. It's subjective. 

 

To me a team's "best" look is the look that best represents the franchise. The Oilers should be in royal blue and orange because that look represents one of the greatest teams to play the game. That's "the" Oilers look. And so on.

 

Right.  To me, a good example of this is the Brewers.  If they were a brand-new team, I'd think they had great uniforms (at least their primaries.)  However, they're not a brand-new team, and their current look doesn't represent the franchise, despite how long they've been wearing them.  I'd argue that you could make objectively prove that the current uniform is better designed than any incarnation of the BiGs, however for better or worse, they are a royal and yellow team that's represented by the BIG.  It is a shame for MLB to lose a nice script and nice cap logo (the current ones), but it would be the best move for the team.

 

When it comes to uniforms, "equity" is not quantifiable but certainly counts for a lot.

 

As for the Penguins, just to separate the eras, could they adopt the throwback set (with PITTSBURGH as an alt) but with khaki rather than yellow?  At least keep the khaki through the Crosby era, to avoid that mismatch.  Once the team totally turns over and it's clearly a different era, then go back to the yellow, as they'll need something to keep the fans interested.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I do think it's fantastic that the Penguins will probably be returning to their back-to-back cup set (albeit with a tweak to the white sweater's hem stripes), I kind of wish they did this:

On 3/22/2015 at 2:54 PM, TorinK92 said:

I like it. The brighter yellow really brings out their identity.

pit%2Bin%2Bbright%2Byellow.png

It gives one of their best templates the proper color scheme, and it'd be interesting to see a whole set like this. At the very least, it'd be a more interesting third than the Rangers clone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But people in Pittsburgh LOVE that "Pittsburgh" jersey. I don't get it, I really don't, but you talk to people, they all have a story how they had one as a kid, or they're all proud that they have one, they talk about it like it's some cherished vintage jersey from a century ago, that it could be worth good money. It's a complete detachment from reality and it makes no sense, but listen to Pittsburghers and you'll hear the same.

 

Can anybody back me up on this? Does anybody else her these silly things?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not from Pittsburgh so I can't say anything one way or another on that but I'm glad to hear it. I've always liked that sweater. Not as part of the primary set, but I would love to see it used as an alternate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

While I do think it's fantastic that the Penguins will probably be returning to their back-to-back cup set (albeit with a tweak to the white sweater's hem stripes), I kind of wish they did this:

pit%2Bin%2Bbright%2Byellow.png

 

It gives one of their best templates the proper color scheme, and it'd be interesting to see a whole set like this. At the very least, it'd be a more interesting third than the Rangers clone.

 

 

There's something really off about that look. It works perfectly with vegas gold, but it just doesn't in athletic. But the 91 jerseys have a lot more gold, and it's the Golden Triangle of Pittsburgh that is featured in the logo, not white triangles.

 

Could you try swapping the white and the gold in the jersey?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.