Jump to content

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes


TheGrimReaper
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

The white stripes just seemed to work with the logo better.  Better color balance.

The white stripes feel really forced to me, and looked kinda slapped on. That's why I never enjoyed the black jersey of that set, the whites had a much better color balance, and look much better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were so many minor iterations of that black jersey that I don't think we'd ever have a consensus on which is best.

 

I also remember a lot of people lamenting the end of this set, people loved that red jersey. I think it was a stretching error in an early drawing program. 

Senators06.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2016 at 8:43 PM, mightyduck said:

I still wish these would come back...maybe I'm just nostalgic?

 

 

norm-maciver-of-the-ottawa-senators-skat

 

 

I got this jersey for Christmas so I will always prefer this one to the later one with the white. And it is by no means a rare matchup but seeing these beauties vs the Nordiques uniforms is a great matchup, aesthetically. I really do miss the Nordiques.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hockey week said:

There were so many minor iterations of that black jersey that I don't think we'd ever have a consensus on which is best.

 

I also remember a lot of people lamenting the end of this set, people loved that red jersey. I think it was a stretching error in an early drawing program. 

Senators06.png

They wore that red jersey in the finals for crying out loud. The Senators were the original Minnesota Wild. 

 

I hated how the home and roads intentionally didn't match. I hated how their socks were the exact same as New Jersey's, it was just such a mess and it didn't need to be. 

 

The red jersey looked really bad from the side. 

74386618.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

who cares if the red socks were the same as the devils, their white socks were always the same as the devils too and they were both introduced into the nhl in the same year (1992). The sens have always looked better in red than black. I dont know how anyone can like those hideous black jerseys of theirs. The originals were way too dark, and when they aded white it looked out of place. The red jersey was the best non-white uni the sens have ever had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best jersey the team has ever worn was the Pre-Edge alternate, which is an easy concensus considering how many comments borrow from it.

 

However, a white version that jersey is hard to replicate.

 

What they should have done was use the red numbers on the 95-97 set along with the updated 2D Roman Senator logo, IMO.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

who cares if the red socks were the same as the devils, their white socks were always the same as the devils too and they were both introduced into the nhl in the same year (1992). The sens have always looked better in red than black. I dont know how anyone can like those hideous black jerseys of theirs. The originals were way too dark, and when they aded white it looked out of place. The red jersey was the best non-white uni the sens have ever had. 

I do, and I'm aware the white socks were also the same. That's a problem. There was an overload of red and black teams at the time and there still is and to have two of those teams sporting an identical uniform element shouldn't be accepted. That'd be like two NFL teams wearing identical pants.

 

There are an infinite number of ways to stripe a sock. It's not crazy to ask all 30 teams have different socks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I do, and I'm aware the white socks were also the same. That's a problem. There was an overload of red and black teams at the time and there still is and to have two of those teams sporting an identical uniform element shouldn't be accepted. That'd be like two NFL teams wearing identical pants.

 

There are an infinite number of ways to stripe a sock. It's not crazy to ask all 30 teams have different socks. 

And it's not like socks that are the same as another team's really effect the uniform set, especially when the sweaters are VASTLY different from each other. (Well in some cases. Looking at you Tampa... :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so what, the bruins third and the penguins third have the same socks. When two teams have the same color scheme it's very likely there socks will be similar if not the same. Even the hurricanes white socks are almost exactly like the sens/devils. There are only so many color schemes and sock stripe patterns to go around. It's one thing if their jerseys are the same but socks stripes, c'mon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They wore that red jersey in the finals for crying out loud. The Senators were the original Minnesota Wild. 

 

The Penguins were the original Minnesota Wild (and a couple times over before the Senators).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:
  7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They wore that red jersey in the finals for crying out loud. The Senators were the original Minnesota Wild. 

 

The Penguins were the original Minnesota Wild (and a couple times over before the Senators).

 

 

I hate to break it to you guys, but this idea predates both teams by decades

Bruins15.pngBlackhawks17.png

Canadiens23.pngRangers17.png

 

and some, namely the Canadiens, Rangers, and to a lesser extent, the Blackhawks, never changed that.

 

But what if you exclude the Original Six?

Blues03.pngPenguins07.png

 

and even if you want to limit it to the modern era, 1988-91

NorthStars17.png

 

All predates the 93 Penguins set and the modern Wild sets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They wore that red jersey in the finals for crying out loud. The Senators were the original Minnesota Wild. 

 

I hated how the home and roads intentionally didn't match. I hated how their socks were the exact same as New Jersey's, it was just such a mess and it didn't need to be. 

 

The red jersey looked really bad from the side. 

74386618.jpg

 

I hated how the home and roads didn't match too...  Until I saw the dumpster fire of a set that followed.  For all its flaws, that uniform is worlds better than the current reds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2016 at 9:01 PM, JWB13 said:
On 3/20/2016 at 4:38 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

 

I don't know either way, but I'd imagine it to be true - and why not?  It's a good-looking jersey, and Pittsburgh's one of those places where people go nuts for anything that says the city name on it.  

 

I'd love for it to come back as an alt, or even invert it and use it as the primary road (and then make the "normal" road the alt.) 

 

I would lose robo-pigeon from the shoulders though.  Leave them blank.

I'm not from Pittsburgh but have that road jersey. I think it's a good looking jersey, myself.

 

To each his own.

Couple of reasons why that road 90s "Pittsburgh" jersey remains popular. First, the Pens only had the city name on the first season jersey, so it's a different look from the usual Pens jerseys over the years with the logo on the front. Second, there's a sizable amount of Western PA transplants across the country, many who were forced to leave the area

after the economic meltdown in the 80s. There's just enormous pride in being from Pittsburgh, and the success of the sports teams in that city. If the Steelers were to do an 

alternate uniform with the city name on the helmet instead on the nickname, that look would be very popular.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

And it's not like socks that are the same as another team's really effect the uniform set, especially when the sweaters are VASTLY different from each other. (Well in some cases. Looking at you Tampa... :P

 

I realize they wear different uniforms above the socks, all the more reason that two teams shouldn't have identical socks. 

 

2 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

so what, the bruins third and the penguins third have the same socks. When two teams have the same color scheme it's very likely there socks will be similar if not the same. Even the hurricanes white socks are almost exactly like the sens/devils. There are only so many color schemes and sock stripe patterns to go around. It's one thing if their jerseys are the same but socks stripes, c'mon. 

Yeah all the examples you just listed - problems. There's an unlimited number of sock stripe possibilities. The Senators could (probably should) wear barberpole striped socks, for instance. The Hurricanes could've used more gray in theirs to match the sleeve stripes on that set. The Penguins throwback stripes should match either the hem or the pants; they're their own issue and they've always been an issue. The Bruins should never wear anything other than yellow socks with their black jerseys.

 

There's an endless number of possibilities. No excuse for two teams to wear the exact same design. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

 

I hated how the home and roads didn't match too...  Until I saw the dumpster fire of a set that followed.  For all its flaws, that uniform is worlds better than the current reds.

And this one far from being a beauty. I wonder if they just took their originial black set but in red instead, would it have been better looking? IMO i don't think so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the hurricanes don't use silver in their striping so why would they put it in their socks stripes? Why would the sens use barberpole striping on their non-barberpole jerseys? Most teams generally use a three stripe pattern on their socks, so if a team has the same colors and color balance as another i don't see what the problem is with having the same socks. I don't feel a team should ever design anything based on what anyone else is wearing, if you look good in it who cares if someone else has one item in their entire uniform that is the same. The sens have always used that socks stripe pattern for as long as nj has (until the edge takeover) so i don't think they should change because of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The best jersey the team has ever worn was the Pre-Edge alternate, which is an easy concensus considering how many comments borrow from it.

 

However, a white version that jersey is hard to replicate.

 

What they should have done was use the red numbers on the 95-97 set along with the updated 2D Roman Senator logo, IMO.

 

 

Yes. A thousand times yes. 

 

There's been multiple concepts that do it well, and are much better than what they wear now. 

On March 25, 2016 at 10:11 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I prefer the white stripes, but they got the numbers right the 1st time.

 

image.jpeg

Kinda Sens colors...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

the hurricanes don't use silver in their striping so why would they put it in their socks stripes?

 

I said they could've. I was talking about their old pre edge jerseys. Using them as an example of a red and black team who didn't have to use the 3 stripe pattern. 

 

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

Why would the sens use barberpole striping on their non-barberpole jerseys?

 

Their hem stripes were a basic version of barberpole. They should've matched the socks to those stripes rather than the sleeve stripes. They sort of did this when they went to the EDGE with sock stripes that matched their pants stripe, but they had the weird piping in the back and then when they dropped those inexplicably to went black-red-black. To answer your question, though, because barberpole has a history in Ottawa and would instantly set them apart from the other red and black teams. It's even in their alternate logo and yet they don't use it on their uniforms (save the pants stripe), but that's a different thread. 

 

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

Most teams generally use a three stripe pattern on their socks, so if a team has the same colors and color balance as another i don't see what the problem is with having the same socks.

 

 

But you don't have to use a three stripe pattern on your socks. There are an infinite number of patterns and options so for two teams to use the exact same one out of those multitude of possibilities isn't okay.

 

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

I don't feel a team should ever design anything based on what anyone else is wearing,

 

 

If you don't take the rest of your league into context when designing a look then you end up with the Tampa Bay Lightning emulating the Maple Leafs.

 

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

 

 

if you look good in it who cares if someone else has one item in their entire uniform that is the same. The sens have always used that socks stripe pattern for as long as nj has (until the edge takeover) so i don't think they should change because of them. 

Again, I do. I realize Ottawa had worn it for just long on the white socks, but by the time the red alternate and corresponding socks came along New Jersey had already established that look many years before. So yeah they should've designed them differently so they didn't have a major uniform element matching a team in their conference. What they should've done was stripe the socks to match the sleeves. Would've looked better, wouldn't have been an identical match to another team's uniform element, and would've been a cool nod to their barberpole past. 

 

I don't understand why you're arguing for creative laziness. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the sens looked a lot better with what they went with. They had those socks since their inception. Heck until you brought it up i never even realized them and the devils had the same red socks. The lighting just look like the leafs in color, their jerseys look more like the red wings. The difference is ottawa actually looked good with those unis and had them just as long as nj,  while the lighting dont look good in their current unis because the whole jersey is a red wings rip-off, while the sens and devils just so happen to share one little element in common. I don't think they should have matched the sock striped to the waist stripes, it would take away from the balance of the striping and it would make the arm stripes look out of place. I think for consistency purposes, they had the three stripe pattern going on the white and black socks since day 1, so I don't think it's much of a problem to have the red socks have the same pattern. I agree they could have went with a white stipe on top of a single thicker black stripe or something but i don't see what the huge issue is with just the socks stripes matching. We see teams like dallas get all sorts of praise for their jerseys even though they look like a rangers knock-off, or the panthers original set which is very close to the penguins robo-pen jerseys. I look at all the teams atm and i see about 80-85% of them have the same socks stripes, many of which are very close in color (cbj and nry) or design (red wings and flyers). I'm all for teams being creative and trying to distance themselves and have unique looks, but ottawa using those socks just doesn't bother me. They look good which i think most will agree with me. If they had at least started using them after the devils fine, but those socks are just as much theres as they are nj's. But whatever they don't use them anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.