2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Panthers logo just needs an Arizona Cardinals-esque update. Do that, and add more white to the home uniforms, and their sets are miles better.

I wouldn't say the Panthers' logo needs much of an update at all. In a vacuum? It's still great! The current uniforms have their problems, but they're acceptable facsimiles to the inaugural set. All in all? There's nothing wrong with the Panthers' look as-is.

The problem is that the brand has been marred by sub-par hockey for so long. South Florida isn't Toronto, where the team can suck for a decade+ and still sell out. The Panthers moved to a hard to get to rink in the middle of the swamp, far from the entertainment centre of the region. And did so while sucking wind. The brand is almost entirely irrelevant. Regardless of how solid it is aesthetically.

We had a "most irrelevant team in sports" thread a few years back, and the Panthers seemed to have "won" it with a few posters telling stories about dealing with South Florida locals who weren't even aware of the team. This is a team so irrelevant that click-baiting Canadian sports writers sometimes forget they exist when putting together their "sunbelt teams that should move north" articles.

So with all of that considered? Changing things up, if only to get some new eyes on the brand, isn't a bad thing. That it coincides with the team turning things around is even better from a branding perspective.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida gets to do some rebranding to something wildly different and make a clean break for a while...

...only to have fans get all sorts of nostalgic New Coke style and they get to make boatloads of money off the original logo and jerseys a few years from now...

...when all that mediocre hockey and terrible brand imagery and time as the most forgettable team in sports gets completely ignored for nostalgia.

It's worked how many times so far?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I know we rag on Reebok a lot here, and deservedly so. But I just want to note that this year's Winter Classic jerseys are probably the highest-quality NHL replica jersey available since Pro Player went under. Everything is completely sewn on, there's no screened twill, and the felt-flocked twill and diagonal in-number stitching add great texture and detail. Plus, there are a lot of great deals to be had on eBay for them. I got a Subban one for $53.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I know we rag on Reebok a lot here, and deservedly so. But I just want to note that this year's Winter Classic jerseys are probably the highest-quality NHL replica jersey available since Pro Player went under. Everything is completely sewn on, there's no screened twill, and the felt-flocked twill and diagonal in-number stitching add great texture and detail. Plus, there are a lot of great deals to be had on eBay for them. I got a Subban one for $53.

But previous generations replicas were affordable, not $150-200...

On 4/18/2016 at 0:46 PM, CS85 said:

Let it be so.  It's just how they should look at all times.

CS8fJoPWEAAy4Vs.jpg

I will never understand how people think the old logo is better then the new one. That thing is awful. The jerseys themselves are top notch and I understand that love.

I say put the updated logo on this jersey then I am on board!

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

But previous generations replicas were affordable, not $150-200...

Again, I just got one for $53. Previous-generation replicas had a base price around US$90. Customized with name and number, they were in the $140-$150 range, and everything on them was glued, not sewn. And keep in mind those prices are from 10 years ago.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 4/20/2016 at 3:23 AM, hockey week said:

Florida gets to do some rebranding to something wildly different and make a clean break for a while...

...only to have fans get all sorts of nostalgic New Coke style and they get to make boatloads of money off the original logo and jerseys a few years from now...

Apparently, they might actually be getting the '93 reds as an alternate next year. Seems like a weird thing to do right out of the gate with a rebrand, but, oh well.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

While I agree that the yellow is preferable to khaki, IMO Pittsburgh's uniforms are overrated.

usa-today-9106563.0.jpg

I know not every striping pattern is going to match, but do these uniforms bother anyone else?  The sleeves, hem, pants, and socks are all different.  Even the numbers on the helmet and back of jersey don't match!

I miss these beauties:

alexei-kovalev-of-the-pittsburgh-penguin

White numbers and NOBs on black would improve any black and Pittsburgh gold sweater. Penguins, after all, are black and white, so there's no need to overdo the yellow (especially when it comes to distinguishing from Boston). 

I do like the triangle sweaters but feel like in a perfect world, the Pens would have said "that was cool, glad we got that out of our systems" and gone back to a more classic design by 2007. Instead, we got beige practice jerseys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On April 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Sodboy13 said:

The quality of their Winter Classic uniforms has been consistently top notch and they definitely outdid themselves with the Boston/Montreal designs.  I just wish they applied that same dedication to their premier replica's...  Vanquish the plastic shoulders, close that weird seam at the sides of the hem, and get rid of that obtrusive jock tag.

I actually don't mind those. Better than the piping mess they replaced.

panthers%20new%20uniforms.gif

Bonus for Horton and Weiss pic? 

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

such a hacky, 'bleh' jersey template. That logo could look so good on a solid jersey, but it just reminded me of a disappointing overall look for so many years that I never embraced the logo as much as I could have which is a shame. I still like the logo, but meh.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 21/4/2016 at 6:48 AM, Jhero34 said:

I will never understand how people think the old logo is better then the new one. That thing is awful. The jerseys themselves are top notch and I understand that love.

I say put the updated logo on this jersey then I am on board!

New logo is too cartoonish, the 3D shark looks like something out of  Ducktales. I would say it is a college logo type.

Some complain about the tape on the original logo, but look at the new one, it´s a orange wood stick ? Is that better then the tape mistake?  

Small pieces fly of it when the shark chomp down: cartoon ! And then the orange outlines and eye, Orange should never be a part of the San Jose color scheme !

latest?cb=20140913184352

San_Jose_Sharks2.jpg

Old logo is great with straight lines all around, a pro logo !

There's something to be said for a logo that is characterised by the team it is representing, rather than trying to be a textbook logo in and of itself. I look at Pittsburgh's logo and I don't see a perfectly crafted logo, but its characterised by its imperfections and history. The new San Jose logo it's too self-aware and contrived. There is nothing inherently wrong with the old logo. Sure it looks kinda dated, but those are the logos that over time become untouchable beauties - not when they get discarded for something more modern and edgy. It looks cartoonish - especially with the orange introduction.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The new Sharks logo is too close to anime for me. I think I've said before it'd be great for the Nippon Ham Robot Sharks, but I don't like it for the NHL's San Jose Sharks. It's overly detailed in a bad way. The original was overly detailed in a good way. And like the two above me stated, not every logo needs to be a perfect computer rendering. The original had some whimsy that's lost in the newer one. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I personally think that orange has become quite effective in the San Jose color scheme over time. It may be a minority opinion, but I'll actually miss it if they drop orange completely. It pops so well with the Pacific Teal, and anchored so well by black, that it simply works.

I know that sharks are gray, and the original jerseys looked so good, but in a league that has been moving away from muted and dark color schemes for a while now, I think the teal and gray should be left in the past, or become a solid third jersey at best.

If their Reebok jerseys hadn't been so overwhelmingly meh, I think the change would've been much better received by now

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The new Sharks logo is too close to anime for me. I think I've said before it'd be great for the Nippon Ham Robot Sharks, but I don't like it for the NHL's San Jose Sharks. It's overly detailed in a bad way. The original was overly detailed in a good way. And like the two above me stated, not every logo needs to be a perfect computer rendering. The original had some whimsy that's lost in the newer one. 

I'm being pedantic here, but an anime shark would probably be much more detailed than the Sharks logo. What they have now isn't really that much more detailed than the original, it's just a bit more colourful and dynamic.

I don't know if I really prefer one version of the Sharks logo over the other. The newer one is a solid update. The original feels a bit dated by comparison, and yet it maintains a certain charm.

As for the orange, I still don't really know if it works for them. The grey accent colour just felt right, but not when overdone like on the pre-Edge uniform. I think I preferred the orange with their initial Edge set as it was more consistent, whereas with their new "lightweight" uniforms it's like they were trying to come up with a compromise and not completely get rid of it. It feels forced and poorly thought out.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived