TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

 

Which one fits in better:

 

x8jXQO6.png

 

 

or

 

 

s6taXIG.png

The new one fits in better. The line weights are similar, and it reminds me of some of the old times mascot logos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a way, the new logo gives me a Ferrari vibe. Maybe they used that logo and the Lamborghini logo as inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

new logo looks like crap. 

Well to be fair nothing they could have done would have made you happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

Well to be fair nothing they could have done would have made you happy.

exactly, that's why they shouldn't have changed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The new one fits in better. The line weights are similar, and it reminds me of some of the old times mascot logos.

Oh come now, you can't be serious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I kind of like it but not as much as the old one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rollins Man said:

exactly, that's why they shouldn't have changed it.

Well "let's not piss off CCSLCers who think the late 90s/early 2000s were the high point of hockey aesthetics" probably wasn't one of their top priorities.

You came in determined to hate anything they did. So it's hard to take your criticism as an accurate evaluation of the design.

 

Was the old logo good? Yeah. Is the new logo good? Yes, in my opinion. Is it as good as the old logo? I don't think so, but that doesn't mean it isn't good in its own right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

Well "let's not piss off CCSLCers who think the late 90s/early 2000s were the high point of hockey aesthetics" probably wasn't one of their top priorities.

You came in determined to hate anything they did. So it's hard to take your criticism as an accurate evaluation of the design.

 

Was the old logo good? Yeah. Is the new logo good? Yes, in my opinion. Is it as good as the old logo? I don't think so, but that doesn't mean it isn't good in its own right.

it looks like a soccer logo. it's not even shoulder patch worthy. They need to stop trying the shield and roundel all their new logos and stick with their classic one. What a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

 

Which one fits in better:

 

x8jXQO6.png

 

 

or

 

 

s6taXIG.png

 

I think this question is fundamentally flawed. You're asking which Sharks logo looks better among the crude original versions of the Original Six logos that none of the teams use as their primary logo today? Of course the original sharks logo fits in better, it's more crudely drawn. It has more thin lines like the rest of these original logos. It meshes very well with a group of logos designed long before any kind of standard for sports aesthetics was established and most publications were very loose with the team names, to say nothing of the logos, because branding was NOTHING like it is today.

 

Now, whether the result is any different is subjective, but I think using the current logos as a benchmark is a far better measuring stick than the defunct originals.

sharks%20comparison%201_zpsgdbe79xb.png

 

or

sharks%20comparison%202_zps2dc5svr7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atleast San Jose modernized their classic look whereas Florida just threw away their iconic logo and decided to become a soccer club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Oh come now, you can't be serious?

My first answer also would have been "neither", but if I'm going to pick one like Cream Soda insisted... yeah, I think the new one fits better. I'm not saying the new logo would 100% pass for an old-timey logo, but I think there's some shared DNA there. The line weight is a big part of it. I'm not trying to pass it off as objective truth, but I do see it.  Like the new shark is a modern version in the same vein as something like this:

2536.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, worcat said:

Atleast San Jose modernized their classic look whereas Florida just threw away their iconic logo and decided to become a soccer club.

thank you, this guy gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iconic? Look, the old Panthers logo was good. Really good. Iconic though? Not even close.

 

I'm not sure a logo can even be iconic when the locals don't even know the team exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't we have the same conversation about Dallas?

Didn't we have the same conversation about Winnipeg?

 

I think both logos are a big old meh. The old one was good, but stale, the new one looks like it'd be great for Penn State or Pitt...which are both panther-based looks...so it's really not that bad. It's missing whiskers, which was a problem in their roundel third jersey logo. So...that sucks. The rest...it looks ok. 

This is not buffaslug-level catastrophe, this is orca-level corporatizing at worst, and probably more like the Webbed-D situation in Anaheim.

 

In all likelihood, this is their New Coke plan to make the return to their original 90s look make A WHOLE LOT MORE MONEY, a la the Sabres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

 

The old logo still features a shark chomping through a hockey stick. It's a very 90's cartoony concept to begin with.

 

Can't agree with this more.  Not to mention that the designer didn't know what a hockey stick looked like when he did the original. 

 

I think the new one is an upgrade on an order of magnitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Iconic? Look, the old Panthers logo was good. Really good. Iconic though? Not even close.

 

I'm not sure a logo can even be iconic when the locals don't even know the team exists.

Yeah it is iconic to that franchise, because it's all their fans know and love. You don't keep a logo for 20+ years and all of a sudden decide to overhaul the identity without expecting fans to be upset about the decision. 

 

The locals may not know the logo because Florida is still a growing hockey market and if people don't recognize the logo it's because they aren't fans of the team. That doesn't take anything away from the original logo. The team tried that roundel design and it seemed rejected by the fans. I'm not saying the new shield logo is bad but it should be a shoulder logo with a more streamlined updated version of the classic logo as the main logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old Sharks logo was stiff and awkward in my opinion.

 

The current Sharks logo is okay, a little cartoony but it works.

 

The new Panthers logo is gorgeous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, worcat said:

Yeah it is iconic to that franchise, because it's all their fans know and love. You don't keep a logo for 20+ years and all of a sudden decide to overhaul the identity without expecting fans to be upset about the decision. 

 

The locals may not know the logo because Florida is still a growing hockey market and if people don't recognize the logo it's because they aren't fans of the team. That doesn't take anything away from the original logo. The team tried that roundel design and it seemed rejected by the fans. I'm not saying the new shield logo is bad but it should be a shoulder logo with a more streamlined updated version of the classic logo as the main logo. 

Not to mention that the team is in Sunshine, where most people in the US don't even know where that is. I had to look up where Sunshine is. But there are also so many things to do in Florida that hockey isn't a huge priority like it is in the northern US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, panthers_2012 said:

Not to mention that the team is in Sunshine, where most people in the US don't even know where that is. I had to look up where Sunshine is. But there are also so many things to do in Florida that hockey isn't a huge priority like it is in the northern US. 

Exactly this. I'm not a Panthers fan but I appreciate a great logo when I see one and It'll be sad to see the leaping panther put to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.