2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Maybe this is a "perception" rather than statistical fact, but I remember A LOT of absolute hate for the Stars because they dropped gold. You would've thought that gold was what gave them their first pet and saved them from a bully as a child, because losing that was worse than losing their left arm. To say nothing of all the Original Six Dressup accusations being thrown around, likewise with the similarities to the Rangers or Chicago.

Didn't people freak out over the Vikings weird font? I remember that being "terrible" 

Winnipeg was the most boring logo ever, according to this board. Tolstoy couldn't have made it more boring, the notch on the top was outrageous corporate branding worse than the orca, everyone had a problem with the jet or the leaf, and my favorite detraction: it looks like the jet is exploding.

The LA Kings was everything from a pencil to a home plate, and minimizing the crown was a crime against nature.

The front page of that Sacramento Kings logo unveil is pretty brutal...but that IS a rehash of an old logo...so I maintain that this board is filled with nostalgia nuts.

My point is there plenty of evidence of recent rebrands that were well received. Every new thing is critically examined because that's what we do here and critical examination can often come across as negative even when it's not meant in that way, but if something is good I think the majority of posters will agree. If it sucks a majority of the posters will agree. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, eRay said:

I feel like Florida could cut the shield off before the "Florida" or "Panthers" part and look better then what they're about to unveil. Like, much better.

Yeah.... I don't dislike the new rendering of the Panther at all, but combined with the hacky sheild shape and the clunky wordmark above, it all results in a very bland look. 

I wish more teams could identify that they have solid identities in their current logos and resist the temptation to revamp everything. Do they not understand that a good logo often is not one that aesthetically on point, but one that has been around for a long time? Stick with the logo you have, if it's already better than average, and before too long you will posses a classic, iconic symbol. They weren't there yet at all, but that logo could have been one day. This new logo is just a mediocre restart for the sake of a restart. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 minute ago, bowld said:

Yes. White Jersey will have red stripe outlined in gold

I agree with the majority. I really liked the full panther logo and the crossed sun/stick/palm tree shoulder patch. This new one isn't terrible, and I do like the striping that is going with it, but I wish they wouldn't have changed. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

6 hours ago, worcat said:

I apologize that you prefer baby Simba over a classic logo. So sorry, I guess I'm in the wrong with the other 90% of people.

I never said I preferred the new logo to the old logo. I'm saying the new logo is good in its own right, regardless of how good the old logo is.

Jeeze, calm down and actually read what I wrote before overreacting.

11 hours ago, hockey week said:

This board, every time a logo or jersey changes:

onoz_omg2.gif 

Not true,  if one of the following were to change logo´s again: LA Clippers , Los Angeles Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Raptors + a few more, then it would be: 

fairly-odd-parents.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I don't like how the wordmark uses that awkward looking skew to create the arched letterforms. It looks unprofessional. Surely for a LOGO, someone could customise the letters to sit nicely on the curve rather than resorting to distorting them with a couple of clicks in illustrator. Isn't that kind of considered a faux-pas in design? Especially for a logo. At least VANCOUVER doesn't distort the characters.

7 hours ago, bowld said:

Yes. White Jersey will have red stripe outlined in gold

10 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Florida-Panthers-New-Logo-Leaked.jpg

I just noticed how much the white will bleed into the gold on a TV screen. They really should put a blue stripe in between

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

The current Panthers logo is, I guess, "iconic" in the sense that it's the first image that pops up when you think of this team. It's all they've ever used and all we've ever known. The colourful inaugural jerseys are easily the best things they've worn, something about that really said "Florida"to me, and it was a fantastic look.

Having said that, this is so far looking to be a solid update to their identity. Yeah, it is a bit soccer-esque (but then so are the Rangers and Kings, as CreamSoda pointed out) and it does also remind me somewhat of a European hockey logo. But as far as a more traditional mark goes, it's decent. On that note, maybe this switch to a more traditional logo and uniform is a deliberate attempt to cater to the snowbird crowd. But that's not a slight against the direction they're taking. I can't wait to see how the uniform turns out.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

7 hours ago, Bayne said:

Upon closer inspection, I don't like how the wordmark uses that awkward looking skew to create the arched letterforms. It looks unprofessional. Surely for a LOGO, someone could customise the letters to sit nicely on the curve rather than resorting to distorting them with a couple of clicks in illustrator. Isn't that kind of considered a faux-pas in design? Especially for a logo. At least VANCOUVER doesn't distort the characters.

Keep in mind we are looking at preliminary estimates, not the final product (though much credit is due to TRoy).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

I wouldn't say so. It's up to personal preference. Vancouver's is radially arched, the Panthers is vertically arched. Both are similarly easy to do in illustrator and there's many examples of both in sports. 

I'd say in this instance where they're trying to match the shape of a specific shield using vertically arched lettering that is parallel with the top part of the shield that they're housed in is the best choice. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Not true,  if one of the following were to change logo´s again: LA Clippers , Los Angeles Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Raptors + a few more, then it would be: 

You assume the new change would be better...   That is a huge assumption.

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I wouldn't say so. It's up to personal preference. Vancouver's is radially arched, the Panthers is vertically arched. Both are similarly easy to do in illustrator and there's many examples of both in sports. 

I'd say in this instance where they're trying to match the shape of a specific shield using vertically arched lettering that is parallel with the top part of the shield that they're housed in is the best choice. 

Probably, but the vertical arch technique looks a little dodgy. 

The Rangers logo sheild doesn't bother me as it's been around for ages and has a more unique shape as opposed to the standard single curve top and sides that most soccer logos use. They also dont use it front and centre on their jerseys, so that's a big thing as well.

The LA one does kinda bug me. I wish they had just stuck with the crown. It's weird and I'll never be entirely happy looking at it.

Florida's now looks the most overtly awkward in that regard though. I guess I should wait until I see it for real, but I can only assume.

25 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Probably, but the vertical arch technique looks a little dodgy. 

You act like this is a new thing. Vertically arched letter has been around forever: 

4222b_lg.jpeg

pittsburgh_pirates_home.jpg

Datsyuk_Pavel_Autographed_Red_Wings_Jers

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived