2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

That's not the article I was thinking of.  It was something I read long before 2014, and closer to the logos official unveiling.  Anyhow, this is what I see in the current Sharks logo.  Flame away if you must but I think it's intentional and clever.

Yeah I've never seen that Icethetics article before. I recall reading it somewhere that cited it as a fact, not as speculation. Is it forced? Yup. But to insist that it wasn't intentional after two independent posters say they remember reading about it somewhere? Come on.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

In the slideshow of logos, Chris said about the Sharks logo

I'm probably forcing this one, but every time I look at the Sharks' logo, I see a very subtle SJ in the fins. You kind of have to want it. Who's with me?

Funny, when i look at the Sharks  new logo i see a hidden FU, must be a secret message to lovers of good sportslogos

14 hours ago, BigBubba said:

Yeah I've never seen that Icethetics article before. I recall reading it somewhere that cited it as a fact, not as speculation. Is it forced? Yup. But to insist that it wasn't intentional after two independent posters say they remember reading about it somewhere? Come on.

Well, that's a different kettle of fish. I hadn't realized that we had two people vaguely remembering something about it?  

That tips the scales, and I gladly stand corrected. B)

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, that's a different kettle of fish. I hadn't realized that we had two people vaguely remembering something about it?  

Yep that definitely settles it.

Wait, are you telling me that two people on the internet agreed on the vague outlines of something?  How could I have doubted it?

Find the article which stated it as fact.   Find a quote from the designer.  Until then, come on. 

I actually quite clearly remember reading that. Now, do I remember the source? No -- I read literally hundreds of sports newspaper, magazine, and online articles every year, so forgive me for not keeping a written log of all of them and what I learned from each. As for finding the article? I'm not going to pore over the hundreds of magazines I have stored in my basement in hopes of finding an article just for the purpose of proving a point. I know what I read. Morgo knows what he read. If you want to believe that we're just making all of this up (despite having absolutely no incentive to do so), then that's fine by me.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not too sure why you felt the need to edit your post, but my point stands.

14 hours ago, M4One said:

Did anyone mention that the Leafs/Wings outdoor game is called the Centennial Classic?  I just watched a story on sportsnet about the renos at BMO Field and it was mentioned at the end.

I don't believe so. I remember that, when next year's set of outdoor games was announced, they made a note of the fact that the Leafs/Red Wings game would be called the "Centennial Classic" (Fox, 2016). Presumably, they knew they kinda had to give the Leafs an outdoor game but didn't wanna give them the "big one" (for the same reason they didn't give them the ASG -- people were concerned that, with the World Cup and the World Juniors, it wouldn't be fair to give Toronto another big ticket event in such a short span), so they came up with a cheap compromise.

-------------------------

Works Cited

Fox, L. (2016, March 09). Leafs celebrate 100 years with outdoor home game at BMO Field. Retrieved May 07, 2016, from

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-detroit-red-wings-outdoor-game-january-1-2017-centennial/

rather than get cutesy and start using bibliographical information for posts, can we all just admit that even if the sharks INTENTIONALLY put the SJ in the logo that they did a really poor job of it? it looks nothing like an SJ1, and has to be seriously forced to be noticed. Intentional or not, if they want to put an S and a J in the logo, they failed... but that logo is a failure in so many ways anyway that it's a moot point.2

1 Chris Creamer, "San Jose Sharks Primary Logo," Sportslogos.net. Accessed May 08, 2016. .............http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/dmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf/San_Jose_Sharks/2009/Primary_Logo.

2 Cole Jones, 2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes, (Toronto, CCLSC, 2016), 59.

Well yeah, intentional or not, it's dumb. 

Okay it's a little more dumb if intentional, but you know what I mean.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

All this referencing is giving me mild PTSD.

Guess there's no denying that the SJ is there, regardless of intention. But it's not terribly obvious and most of us would probably never noticed without it being pointed out. However, I'm looking at the section that forms the 'S' and I'm also seeing where the rear of the shark was designed with the triangle-less, leaping shark in mind. It's noticeable here where much of the "S" has been chopped off.

9406_san_jose_sharks-alternate-2008.png

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

13 hours ago, ColeJ said:

but that logo is a failure in so many ways anyway that it's a moot point.2

I'll believe it when someone does better.

Nothing about the current logo is a failure.  The Shark now looks like a Shark (instead of a sock), teal is prominently used, and the 'Red Triangle' has been altered to convey speed & differentiate it from the other triangle based logo in the league.

On 4/26/2016 at 3:10 PM, jmac11281 said:

Apparently this is rumored to be the Florida Panthers new logo, according to Paul Lukas.

IMG_20160426_150833.jpg

At least it doesn't have "PANTHS" like some other Florida team.:P

I like it though. Very sleek.

IxkieML.png

Having watched some Dallas games recently, it rekindled some of my own opinions on the new identity that they have assumed over the last 2/3 years.

While I still very much appreciate the new logo and think it achieves a look that is both modern and also heavily inspired by it's roots, I feel that the disappearance of gold has severely effected it's appeal for me. Not just because of it's existence in Dallas Stars' history, but because the colour added a feeling of warmth and pseudo-regalness that the silver just doesn't not convey. Instead it feels cold, distant and somewhat generic. That distinctive characteristic of the old identity had the element of charm and individuality and once again I feel that a newly inspired identity has succumbed to the pull of creative convergence, homogeneity and a contemporary interpretation of what 'cool' is. 

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Having watched some Dallas games recently, it rekindled some of my own opinions on the new identity that they have assumed over the last 2/3 years.

While I still very much appreciate the new logo and think it achieves a look that is both modern and also heavily inspired by it's roots, I feel that the disappearance of gold has severely effected it's appeal for me. Not just because of it's existence in Dallas Stars' history, but because the colour added a feeling of warmth and pseudo-regalness that the silver just doesn't not convey. Instead it feels cold, distant and somewhat generic. That distinctive characteristic of the old identity had the element of charm and individuality and once again I feel that a newly inspired identity has succumbed to the pull of creative convergence, homogeneity and a contemporary interpretation of what 'cool' is. 

I think in terms of logos the stars are in a good place. There problem is the generic hockey striping they use and their colors. Down playing black and getting rid of gold was a big mistake. I can at least look past the gold being gone since they have the silver, even though i prefer gold, but the lack of black in their unis bothers me. To me the DALLAS stars will always be a predominantly black team with green and gold. Not only do i not like the green taking over the black but i don't even think it's a good shade of green. Looks very cheap and too bright. They need to use a green that is a bit more muted or darker, not as dark as minnesota's but something less gaudy then what they have now. 

In regards to analysing what they have now, I agree that the green they use is not pleasing to the eye. It's jarring and kind of crude when it's encompassing an entire jersey. It's like they've gone "hey, we get it - colour is back in vogue now so lets be the green team!" but it's not executed well. It's green for the sake of green without the jersey being a nice harmonious balance between their primary and accent colours. I also agree that the green should be darker; put a little bit more magenta and black into the mix.

stars.png

10 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

At least it doesn't have "PANTHS" like some other Florida team.:P

I like it though. Very sleek.

If it was the Panthers doing that, it would probably be "CATS". Kind of like that other Florida NHL team. But a shortened nickname on display is a stupid idea anyway.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived