2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

The more I see the Dallas victory green jersey, the more I think it's the best sweater in the NHL.

The shade of green, the stripping, and the balance are all perfect.

They're having the opposite effect on me, particularly that shade of green.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they at least had a more unique striping pattern on the home jersey or some number outlines or something, anything to make them look less cheap, i could live with the green. I dont mind their white unis as much because they at least have a distinct shoulder yoke and a striping pattern that isn't a complete rip-off of someone else.  

7 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

if they at least had a more unique striping pattern on the home jersey or some number outlines or something, anything to make them look less cheap, i could live with the green. I dont mind their white unis as much because they at least have a distinct shoulder yoke and a striping pattern that isn't a complete rip-off of someone else.  

This is exactly how I feel.  Alter the striping pattern/scheme and I would like it, but for now...I still just see it as a knock off of the "Hawks knock-off St. Patricks Day jersey" which are a constant here in Chicago.  Yes, I realize that I'm sure that was not the Dallas intent.  It just constantly bugs me every time I see them.

nhlshop3.jpg

dallas-stars-jerseys1-e1370391220117.jpg

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

23 minutes ago, mightyduck said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Alter the striping pattern/scheme and I would like it, but for now...I still just see it as a knock off of the "Hawks knock-off St. Patricks Day jersey" which are a constant here in Chicago.  Yes, I realize that I'm sure that was not the Dallas intent.  It just constantly bugs me every time I see them.

nhlshop3.jpg

dallas-stars-jerseys1-e1370391220117.jpg

:P That must make people wearing Sharp jerseys really confusing for you, huh?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Apart from the fact that the shade of green kind of bothers me, the jerseys while nice enough, feel a little generic and lacking in character. Everything feels safe and designed by committee or something. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I love the shade of green Dallas uses when it is viewed in person. I have a team issued home jersey and it looks great up close. 

However, every single TV screen I've ever seen it on makes it look a little washed out and...pixelated? I'm not quite sure how to describe it really, but it looks fuzzy and a little indistinct. Given that that's how most people get to view it, I think it's just a touch lacking. While it's obviously a huge upgrade over what they had before (and I'll say their best look ever) these slight nit picks do hold it well short of the best look in the NHL, imo. I'd prefer striping a little different from the Chicagos and New Yorks of the world, but the color does just enough to make that a secondary concern. 

As for the numbers...well, I get the argument for keeping them clean and simple. I just don't like a pro team having a look that can be almost identically copied with a three dollar product. I think the font plays a large role in this, as the single color Canucks numbers don't give off the same effect. What's interesting is that before the 14-15 season, Stahls had two different Dallas kit options available for a few weeks. Never been able to confirm what the 'new' one was, or was planned to be, though. 

I can see that there is a clear discrepancy with how the current Dallas green is seen in different contexts with regards to on screen viewing vs, in person appearance. So to better illustrate my viewpoint on where I feel the colour needs to change, I'll just show the variation between the colour as I see it on TV screens vs the alteration that I would prefer to see so that it doesn't look so garish.

Again this is just my opinion, but its nice to see an actual accompanying colour comparison to show the amount of change that I'd like.

comparison.png

2 minutes ago, jujubeans said:

Then it would look like the Wild green...and remember, those two franchises are absolutely positively not connected in any way!

I don't agree with the premise of assigning a team a colour based on how it compliments the rest of the teams' identities in the league. You do what's best for your team's identity.

The new uniforms have a vibrant green that the Stars have dubbed “Victory Green,”

Yeah, that was a bad idea all around, both the name and the color.

Dallas with the playoff  L again, STL with the W.

Unless of course it is a Apocalypse now reference.

1 hour ago, jujubeans said:

Then it would look like the Wild green...and remember, those two franchises are absolutely positively not connected in any way!

that green is no where near minnesota's green. Maybe the original green the wild used but not the much darker one they currently wear. 

if i'm not mistaken, the minnesota wild have only ever used 1 shade of green... and that shade of green is exactly the same shade that the dallas stars wore in between north stars kelly green and dallas victory green.

37 minutes ago, worcat said:

Can we all just agree that the series between Dallas and St. Louis featured two beautiful colored uniform sets?

No way, only St. Louis had a beautiful colored uniform.

The Blues realized the mistakes they had made, and returned to the best uniforms they ever had

4 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

I could have sworn their current green is darker then what they used to wear. It seems almost black green now than what they had back in the day.  Maybe it's just my eyes.

wild light.jpg

wild dark.jpg

No, there is a slight difference, but the only time it was obvious was when they stopped using the original stripes-on-the-side pants in favor of the plain third jersey pants. If you can find that article from when they switched, I remember there being a photo of the two pant shells side by side and there being a clear difference, but I can't seem to find it now.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

13 hours ago, Bayne said:

I don't agree with the premise of assigning a team a colour based on how it compliments the rest of the teams' identities in the league. You do what's best for your team's identity.

and that's how you end up with the Tampa Bay Maple Wings and so many different teams wearing red and black at the same time. What's best for your identity is standing out from everyone else. You absolutely have to consider the context within which the uniform and logo will appear so your brand has the most possible recognizability. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, hockey week said:

No, there is a slight difference, but the only time it was obvious was when they stopped using the original stripes-on-the-side pants in favor of the plain third jersey pants. If you can find that article from when they switched, I remember there being a photo of the two pant shells side by side and there being a clear difference, but I can't seem to find it now.

I see the Wild as looking like an inverse of the old Devils. Nothing more cemented that than when they played this past March...

zucker_devils_20160317.jpg

9 hours ago, hockey week said:

ya i could have sworn on the nhluniforms site there was two shades of green for the wild when they brought in the green third they use now but now its the same shade of green. not sure if it was edited r something. 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

and that's how you end up with the Tampa Bay Maple Wings and so many different teams wearing red and black at the same time. What's best for your identity is standing out from everyone else. You absolutely have to consider the context within which the uniform and logo will appear so your brand has the most possible recognizability. 

i think the reason we have the lighting looking the way they do is because they focused on how other teams were dressing and ripped them off. If you just focused on yourself and try to be different instead of trying to be a team you're not, then you'll find your identity. I think more teams should stop worrying about what's trendy and what everyone else is doing and just find their own look unlike what the stars, canes and lighting did.

Archived