2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

On 2016-05-13 at 5:53 AM, Bayne said:

But as Rollins Man said, if you're including accent colours which are totally different, then it's not really that big of a deal if you share a primary colour with another team. The league can have, what, 5 or 6 teams that use the same blue not 2 green teams? (I pulled 5 or 6 out of thin air, just guesstimating). 

I would rather opt for more diversity over less. So yeah, let the Stars keep their victory green. The Wild can be the dark green team.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What nobody here has realized, because nobody in their right mind has watched the movie, but the Super Chiefs of Slap Shot 2 look EXACTLY like the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Canes are even less original, they just copied something that they hoped none of us have seen. Best part, I couldn't find a single photo of the team online and had to take these on my cell phone

922141fc-eba6-4969-8422-352d0145594f_zps2ae048cb-95d1-4c3e-b063-253b0013da36_zpsc35b7710-c47c-4c72-9f9c-ba3eab17545c_zps

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The mark of a great identity is when you can tell who the jersey belongs to, even when the logos are removed.  The original set achieved this with a perfect balance of traditional elements (hem and sleeve stripes, fairly restrained fonts) and creative touches, like the storm flagged hem striping.  A team from 1997, playing in a non-traditional market, shouldn't be hopping the retro bandwagon either.  They should have something that stands out and pays tribute to their finals appearance and 2006 championship.  What I hate most about the current jerseys is the removal of a perfectly good secondary logo for no good reason.  I guess removing shoulder logos is as "timeless" as the matte-grey trim they use on the primary...

XmJ0Tkq.jpg

People complained even then that the jerseys were "too busy" even then, which is why I'm a proponent of every concept that has taken the hurricane flag stripes (which I think are genius, despite the tropical storm vs hurricane non-issue), a simple outline on them, and used that on the hemline and sleeves with little else.

Basic design with detailed elements is the way to make a great modern jersey, imo

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

The mark of a great identity is when you can tell who the jersey belongs to, even when the logos are removed.  The original set achieved this with a perfect balance of traditional elements (hem and sleeve stripes, fairly restrained fonts) and creative touches, like the storm flagged hem striping.  A team from 1997, playing in a non-traditional market, shouldn't be hopping the retro bandwagon either.  They should have something that stands out and pays tribute to their finals appearance and 2006 championship.  What I hate most about the current jerseys is the removal of a perfectly good secondary logo for no good reason.  I guess removing shoulder logos is as "timeless" as the matte-grey trim they use on the primary...

I remember watching the team's video on the new uniforms. The owner prefers and seemingly only accepts traditional hockey striping, regardless of how the team's logo may look on that jersey. He said the jerseys needed to be "cleaned up", basically meaning the original jerseys were a complete mess according to him.

8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I remember watching the team's video on the new uniforms. The owner prefers and seemingly only accepts traditional hockey striping, regardless of how the team's logo may look on that jersey. He said the jerseys needed to be "cleaned up", basically meaning the original jerseys were a complete mess according to him.

As much as I think their original jerseys are better than their new ones, his reasoning is exactly why I love their third jersey. It has such a uniqueness to it, while remaining simple.

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

XmJ0Tkq.jpg

BUT THE WARNING FLAGS ARE STILL THERE ON THE "HANGER EFFECT"!!11!!

Even though I didn't like the graying out of the storm flags when they were first revealed, that Carolina 3rd has to be one of my favorite modern/non-traditional looks in the league. The secondary logo is still effective as a primary, the tonal shoulder patches look fantastic in real life, the chevron stripes on the sleeves and socks work great together (and are probably one of the best uses of one of Reebok's Edge 1.0 gimmicks,) and the thick white outline on the red numbers makes them distinctive while they remain completely functional.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

As much as I think their original jerseys are better than their new ones, his reasoning is exactly why I love their third jersey. It has such a uniqueness to it, while remaining simple.

I think it's doable to have a standard home and road with the traditional warning stripes brought back, only this time with a simpler striping pattern surrounding it. A lot of users here, myself included, have tried to make something that looks just right for the Canes in the concepts section. But IMO, even the nicest designs were missing that one...thing, that one je ne sais quoi. That little something that's missing, can't quite put my finger on it.

The Rangers right now don't look as good as they should, and a major strike against them is the fact that they for some reason moved the stripes much closer together on their white jersey (which I still have a hard time considering "road")

The 1994 white jerseys with the stripes separated on the hem, elbows, and socks help the uniform breath. It looks a tad cluttered with what they wear now. Not awful but the pre 1999 look is better

hi-res-91d0a34fdc900ee39634a0056ffeb45a_

Trophy_Wales_0527_1994.jpg

1 hour ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

The Rangers right now don't look as good as they should, and a major strike against them is the fact that they for some reason moved the stripes much closer together on their white jersey (which I still have a hard time considering "road")

The 1994 white jerseys with the stripes separated on the hem, elbows, and socks help the uniform breath. It looks a tad cluttered with what they wear now. Not awful but the pre 1999 look is better

hi-res-91d0a34fdc900ee39634a0056ffeb45a_

Trophy_Wales_0527_1994.jpg

I didn't notice that. I can overlook that because it matches the spacing of the yoke striping.

The stripes look way better on the Messier Era whites.  Just needed to change the collar and they'd be perfect.

As for Carolina needing to simplify their "storm flag" striping, I simply ask why?  I've yet to see a single, original, concept that managed to improve upon the cup winning look.  Deleting a distinctive, winning look, that had been around for 20 plus years, simply because the owner only tolerates "classic" sweaters is asinine.  Almost as asinine as removing a perfectly good secondary logo to "instil timelessness."  Carolina had a modern classic, now they wear mismatched stock jerseys that wouldn't look out of place on a Wal-Mart discount rack.

Always preferred the Rangers 94 cup jerseys, both home and road to what they wear now. 

They had this

mess1.jpg

and then they went to this

mark-messier.jpg?w=625

The white separating the stripes is too small. Someone said "now they're closer to the white parts in the shoulder stripes" and I don't think that's right. It's like they severely overcorrected and they still don't line up. I think the 94 look is closer to matching the shoulder stripes and even if it wasn't I still think it looks better. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived