TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

Turns out the rumour about a Panthers throwback third joining their new uniforms might not be completely accurate.

Chris at Icethetics knows a guy who knows a guy who suggests that they're bringing out an updated version of the current leaping Panther to be used on a "throwback inspired" third jersey.

I guess that's a logical route to take, considering most teams don't keep their old marks immediately after rebranding. Also, I didn't think the NHL allowed for thirds until at least a year or two after a team launches a new uniform. Then again I don't know what their uniform rules are anymore.

12 minutes ago, hockey week said:

The yellow sleeves are the primary feature of the jersey. That's what separates it from this

6f14d6336305d817d43b3d2121271524.jpg4880-523Fr.jpg

The feature doesn't need to be hidden like Detroit does, where it only shows up on the whites. It can be another color and highlighted.

If you don't like the sleeves...I think you just don't like the jersey

1. I've never hidden the fact that I just don't like the Penguins throwback jersey. Yellow and black are the colors they should be wearing, but a shot-for-shot remake of the 91/92 jerseys isn't the answer. Far too much yellow. 

2. The Bruins don't wear that look anymore. Their current uniform, the one this hypothetical new Penguins look will be compared to, has far more yellow and if the Penguins are in mostly black then they'll set apart even more than your comparison above. 

3. The Bruins' yellow socks are more distinctive and set them apart as much as the Penguins sleeves would. And remember there's now a yellow yoke on the Bruins jersey that the Penguins don't have.

4. The feature doesn't need to be hidden, nothing needs to happen on a hockey jersey, we don't NEED stripes, but I think it would look better without the garish orangeyellow sleeves dominating your vision. 

If the NHL can have 10 teams that primarily wear red sweaters, surely we have room for two black/gold teams.

I figured the white names and numbers, along with the thick white waist/sock stripes, would be enough to offset the heavy yellowness of the sleeves and make sure they're not mistaken for the Bruins.

22 minutes ago, GFB said:

If the NHL can have 10 teams that primarily wear red sweaters, surely we have room for two black/gold teams.

And not too long ago there was certainly enough room for two black/beige teams. For better or worse.

In my opinion there's more than enough that the Pens throwback does to set them apart from the Bruins. It's not like they haven't worn the same colours before.

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

And not too long ago there was certainly enough room for two black/beige teams. For better or worse.

In my opinion there's more than enough that the Pens throwback does to set them apart from the Bruins. It's not like they haven't worn the same colours before.

And nobody is getting on Anaheim for using too much orange even though that's Philly's thing. Nobody seems to care about two orange and black teams, so why are two black and gold teams such a big issue? I think they look plenty different, and I love how much gold is involved.

Two blue and white teams hasn't forced either one to change.

The Penguins look nothing like the Bruins. Black and yellow is not that unique of a color combo. There are 30 teams and 2 teams have it....not a big deal at all. The Penguins have been yellow/black for most of their existence anyway.

Enough of the yellow/black Bruins / Pens talk. It's going in circles. There is a team unveiling something new today and nothing has been discussed other than like 3 posts...smh

9 minutes ago, southpawstu19 said:

Enough of the yellow/black Bruins / Pens talk. It's going in circles. There is a team unveiling something new today and nothing has been discussed other than like 3 posts...smh

Well, the Penguins are in the finals and they're up 2-0. Those black and yellow uniforms look very, very sharp. The yellow sleeves and the V-style pants striping make the Penguins very distinguishable. 

As for the Panthers, I can't wait. 

No one is allowed to say two teams look the same as long as these Lightning uniforms exist. 

ABfmAsU.jpg

z2SkiNL.jpg

Panthers posting a teaser on their site?  can see the color gold, and perhaps fonts?

teaser.PNG

3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Turns out the rumour about a Panthers throwback third joining their new uniforms might not be completely accurate.

Chris at Icethetics knows a guy who knows a guy who suggests that they're bringing out an updated version of the current leaping Panther to be used on a "throwback inspired" third jersey.

I guess that's a logical route to take, considering most teams don't keep their old marks immediately after rebranding. Also, I didn't think the NHL allowed for thirds until at least a year or two after a team launches a new uniform. Then again I don't know what their uniform rules are anymore.

I'll hold off judgement until we see the real thing, but I really don't think that uniform needs tweaking.  Talk about getting it perfect the first time.

8 minutes ago, B-mer said:

Panthers posting a teaser on their site?  can see the color gold, and perhaps fonts?

teaser.PNG

Yeah that number font is close to the teaser pic (judging by the 6's).  The letters look fairly standard, and don't quite match the teaser pic.

I think they tried to emulate stitching, but would have been better off not doing that.  This graphic is kind of a blurry mess.  

36 minutes ago, southpawstu19 said:

I think we went round and round when the logo leaked, and most of that anger and acceptance seems to be simmering until there's something new. No point in getting all worked up, again, when we don't have anything more to discuss. 

Or you can be far more cynical and say that nobody cares about the Panthers until they finally move to Quebec to make everything right in the world.

giphy.gif

mwuahaha lol

16 minutes ago, hockey week said:

I think we went round and round when the logo leaked, and most of that anger and acceptance seems to be simmering until there's something new. No point in getting all worked up, again, when we don't have anything more to discuss. 

Or you can be far more cynical and say that nobody cares about the Panthers until they finally move to Quebec to make everything right in the world.

giphy.gif

mwuahaha lol

But the NHL needs a retirement home in Florida. :(

14 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

But the NHL needs a retirement home in Florida. :(

What, we can't use the Leafs for that? For a while, it seemed like the only way to retire lol

leetch270_jun23hhof.jpg2006-07-16-lindros.jpgtumblr_ma5ihl8vbN1rgqo6ko1_400.png

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

And nobody is getting on Anaheim for using too much orange even though that's Philly's thing. Nobody seems to care about two orange and black teams

Except for Philly fans :P

45 minutes ago, hockey week said:

What, we can't use the Leafs for that? For a while, it seemed like the only way to retire lol

leetch270_jun23hhof.jpg2006-07-16-lindros.jpgtumblr_ma5ihl8vbN1rgqo6ko1_400.png

except Leetch last played with Boston, and Lindros with Dallas.