2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

But, aside from the feet thing (that's a valid personal preference and I'm not going to argue that), would adding more teeth, whiskers or "accents" really tell you anything new that you don't know from what's there?

The other teeth are very small, and they're not always visible when the panther opens its mouth. The large canines are what define the cat's mouth, and it's implied that the other teeth are there, just not visible, probably because they're in shadow. Also think that this has to work at an inch tall as well as 10 inches tall on merchandise, and tiny details inhibit a logo's versatility in that regard.

The old logo's dark whisker lines were very inaccurate to how whiskers are actually perceived by the human eye. Whiskers are thin and wispy, and you don't even register them unless you're looking at a still photo or examining a live animal in your hands. They don't define the form of the cat and they look too dominant when you depict them as such. The whisker are very clearly implied around the muzzle and I think it's enough. I think a few blue spikes added to the edge of the head would have been fine, but treating them like the old logo is not a good option. No cat's whiskers are that prominent when it's live and in motion, which is what this logo is representing.

As for accents, I don't know what you're looking for. All the forms and surfaces are defined well without any unneeded clutter, the hallmark of a good logo. A florida panther is very smooth and streamlined in its appearance, and this that is reflected much better in the new logo as opposed to the old jagged one that looked like it was being electrocuted. As much as that aspect was improved, I also think some of that angular character was very nicely retained.

QFT.  Couldn't agree more.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's actually an improvement.  The State of Florida should consider making the change.

Nah, embroidering the state seal at the size of a dime is not only possible, but preferable to a clean, location specific icon. :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really like the white sweater that Florida will be wearing.  I keep wanting to think the shoulder patch is a bit much, but I really like it!  I could do without the "captain" arches though.

Overall, not bad.  The original Panthers jersey is still the one I like more (being that I grew up around their inception), but this could have been much worse.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

They changed one of the coolest looking jerseys and logos in the league to that? Really. The logo isn't bad but it looks so bland and unimpressive compared to the old one. It looks like the MLS Miami SC or Miami FC or Miami City FC, or Real Miami or Sporting Miami or Miami United or whatever stupid nonsensical MLS team uses as their moniker.

The secondary logo (while not too bad actually) is a step down from that cool sun logo.*

The redesigned leaping panther, while not bad looking, is a step down from the previous rendering.

All in all a big letdown.

Also that giant white belly stripe that copies the Habs kinda blows. Do the Lightning and Panthers really need to copy the Maple Leafs and Canadiens?

Then the fact they put the numbers on the shoulders?

Bleh

*What is it with me and hockey. My favorite teams growing up were the North Stars, Whalers, and Rockies and all three teams moved. My favorite logos were the yeti foot from Colorado, the moon from Arizona and the sun from Florida and now all those logos are gone!!!

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.79564514.5692/raf,220x200,075,f,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

I love the logos for the Panthers, but I feel that the updated panther and the shield should be swapped, using the leaping panther as the primary and the jersey logo while making the shield logo an alternate only. 

Not a fan of the jerseys though. Navy is prominent in all their logos yet it's barely used on the uniforms. Overall I give this a solid 7/10 followed by a "meh". 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I don't understand people who say the chest stripe should go all the way around.

Panthers-New-Jersey-Back.jpg

The back  looks great as it is. If the stripe continued all the way around, the back numbers (as well as the the shoulder numbers and possibly the name) would have to be navy blue. Then they would be hard to see like the Chicago Bulls.

The chest stripe on the away jersey could go all the way around, but then the home and away wouldn't match and you guys would complain about that. 

8 minutes ago, Ark said:

I don't understand people who say the chest stripe should go all the way around.

The back  looks great as it is. If the stripe continued all the way around, the back numbers (as well as the the shoulder numbers and the name) would have to be navy blue. Then they would be hard to see like the Chicago Bulls.

The chest stripe on the away jersey could go all the way around, but then the home and away wouldn't match and you guys would complain about that. 

You mean darker colors are hard to read on red jerseys, like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVXbUqFprKOpCN2Dnfz-_

If the Panthers had blue numbers, the names would not have to be blue...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Pretty impressed overall. I feel like the Panthers could have really messed this up, but it's a nice look. I'm very happy that leaping Panther is still around in some capacity, as I feel it's a fantastic primary logo. The older one had a bit more detail, but was due for a modernization. A few tweaks and it's fine. I hope to see it on the front of a 3rd in the near future.

Nice shoulder patches as well.

7.5/10 overall. 

sig.png

6 minutes ago, Ark said:

The back  looks great as it is. If the stripe continued all the way around, the back numbers (as well as the the shoulder numbers and possibly the name) would have to be navy blue. Then they would be hard to see like the Chicago Bulls.

Easy fix would be just make them hem stripes

54 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

They changed one of the coolest looking jerseys and logos in the league to that? Really. The logo isn't bad but it looks so bland and unimpressive compared to the old one. It looks like the MLS Miami SC or Miami FC or Miami City FC, or Real Miami or Sporting Miami or Miami United or whatever stupid nonsensical MLS team uses as their moniker.

The secondary logo (while not too bad actually) is a step down from that cool sun logo.*

The redesigned leaping panther, while not bad looking, is a step down from the previous rendering.

All in all a big letdown.

Also that giant white belly stripe that copies the Habs kinda blows. Do the Lightning and Panthers really need to copy the Maple Leafs and Canadiens?

Then the fact they put the numbers on the shoulders?

Bleh

*What is it with me and hockey. My favorite teams growing up were the North Stars, Whalers, and Rockies and all three teams moved. My favorite logos were the yeti foot from Colorado, the moon from Arizona and the sun from Florida and now all those logos are gone!!!

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.79564514.5692/raf,220x200,075,f,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

you are spot on pus

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Captain Florida has won a statewide Superhero competition to become the next "Captain America."  His logo, a sleek panther on the prowel, represents the speed and cunning he'll use to help him fight crime. 

And later he drops the ultimate one-liner plot twist:

"Go Bolts."

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

But it's not something that has to be fixed.

If you look on the front, it's fully there. If you look on the back, it's not there at all. If anything it's meant to be part of the logo.

I...like them. Don't get me wrong. I love the original Panthers logo, but the team has languished in irrelevance for so long that a brand shakeup isn't the worst idea. 

The new primary is the weakest part for me, but it still works. It's nicely rendered and it does look more like an actual Florida panther than the last one did. 

The alternate is cool. I dig the Florida flag with the sun replacing the seal. I'm with Goth. That could stand to replace the real flag. 

The chest stripes' use of white/gold over blue/white really kills all "they ripped off the Habs" talk. As far as Florida hockey teams aping Original Six looks go? The Lightning look way more like the Leafs than the Panthers look like the Habs. 

I could take or leave the chest stripes wrapping around.

The alternate logo on the sleeves and the tv numbers on the shoulders is neat. I've wanted to see that for a while now. It's obviously not for every team, but I think one team doing it makes it work. Especially when the alternate logo in question is styled off a sleeve patch anyway.

The "Captain Florida" thing is stupid, but it's small and not too prominent.

All in all? It looks sharp. And it manages to stay distinct despite the fears that they were going to infringe on Montreal's territory.

12 minutes ago, Ark said:

But it's not something that has to be fixed.

If you look on the front, it's fully there. If you look on the back, it's not there at all. If anything it's meant to be part of the logo.

But from the side skating down the ice would look like crap. It is a flaw that needs fixing. You can't say "well it looks good when they are looking completely forward or facing completely backwards but not any other way, so good enough"

40 minutes ago, dont care said:

From a lot of these type of comments, i feel like everyone wants the league to look the same and have basic arm and hem stripes like the Devils.  How boring would that be?  It'd be like old video games where each team had the same uniforms, just in different colors. Not EVERY team needs shoulder yokes, or hem stripes, or laced collars.

This isn't some outlandish, Pro Beach Hockey, making the design crazy to stand out makeover.  It's a very simple jersey.  Not having the torso stripe wrap around the back makes it different from the Canadiens, Blackhawks/Wings winter classic sets.  They're running with what Chicago did with this past year's Stadium Series design with the numbers on the shoulders and a shoulder patch on the sleeve.  I'm not sure how i like it much myself, but it isn't horrific.  It's something different.  A lot of people pine for the pre-edge days when mostly each team had their own identity and jersey designs.  The panthers were still using one of the click/fill templates that other teams had/still have, and now they have a mostly unique design and certainly some newer elements to stand out even more. 

The end result is a solid uniform.  Some of the motives for the design choices i think can certainly be questioned, but it's a nice set. 

2 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

*What is it with me and hockey... My favorite logos were the yeti foot from Colorado, the moon from Arizona and the sun from Florida and now all those logos are gone!!!

Maybe you just have bad taste? :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived