2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Flames23.png

When oh when is my team going to do something about this mess... It's so frustrating because if they had used the standalone black 'C' on the alternate, it would have been a good stepping stone towards phasing out the first edge look. The striping isn't quite as good as the pre-edge look but it's close enough. They fixed the sock striping, got rid of the piping, added a strong secondary logo and adapted a more legible number font. Not saying it would make them among the leagues best but at least it would bring them back to respectability.

Plus, those great shoulder yokes are a perfect nod to Calgary's western roots...

830-red.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I liked both Winter Classic jerseys, I really do, but I don't think either should remain as a third jersey.

Montreal is simply too blue when they wear the '46 jerseys, they're a red/blue balanced team, and I definitely think of them as more red than blue. It simply looks odd.

Boston's were bland. I think it's the lack of white everywhere but the numbers. Their standard jerseys with their shoulder yokes and multiple stripe patterns are simply better. This is not an improvement, and there are other throwbacks that would probably look better.

Both nice, but neither should be a jersey used in 2016-17.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

You know, I liked both Winter Classic jerseys, I really do, but I don't think either should remain as a third jersey.

Montreal is simply too blue when they wear the '46 jerseys, they're a red/blue balanced team, and I definitely think of them as more red than blue. It simply looks odd.

Boston's were bland. I think it's the lack of white everywhere but the numbers. Their standard jerseys with their shoulder yokes and multiple stripe patterns are simply better. This is not an improvement, and there are other throwbacks that would probably look better.

Agreed. They were both decent jerseys as a one-off, but there's no need for them to become any more than that.

Also, it's kinda disappointing that they never have the refs join in on the throwback fun. It was awesome when they did it at the Heritage Classic, I wish they'd do it again:

2783848-officials-randy-mitton-kevin-pol

But don't the best alternates showcase a colour, in a teams identity, that was previously relegated to accent status? An example that comes to mind is when the Minnesota Wild first released their reds. I think montreal's WC uniforms would make for a fine alternate look.

But don't the best alternates showcase a colour, in a teams identity, that was previously relegated to accent status? An example that comes to mind is when the Minnesota Wild first released their reds. I think montreal's WC uniforms would make for a fine alternate look.

I think it's slightly different for two reasons:

1) it's a road jersey. It's white. So being different on the road, being less recognizable, doesn't seem to be a good idea. I realize it's Montreal, among the most recognized teams in sport, but the principle is the same.

2) Montreal's look is based on balance. It was forged in the Original Six, the red/blue Canadiens opposite the blue/red Rangers, the red Red Wings, the red/black Blackhawks, and the blue Maple Leafs. They occupied a small niche in the spectrum of blue to red. Balance IS their color scheme, and as a full uniform, it's perfectly balanced between the two colors. Focusing on one color (neither is the secondary) violates that balance.

If it was any team but Montreal, they'ed probably pair it with red pants, or use a red stripe and a white logo (the the Winter Classic logo, but with a red H) or something with very different striping that still maintains that red/blue balance, but because it's the Montreal Canadiens, a team whose look has never changed, they will never do that.

George Richards tweeted a bunch of information about the new Florida Panthers uniforms, and he basically said that whoever hand-drew this away jersey has come the closest to guessing the way the uniform will look:

12467989_10107933257944301_664285352_n_z

Other information provided by Mr. Richards (a Florida Panthers beat writer for the Miami Herald):

• For now, the hockey stick/palm tree crossing secondary logo is out
  • The new secondary logo has a Florida feel; will alternate the words Florida/Panthers depending on road/home
  • New jerseys will have a horizontal stripe; red/white/gold w/ blue pants. Airborne shield w/ panther head coming out teeth bared
  • New logo: Airborne shield w/ Panthers written on top for home/Florida for road, but not like Vancouver because the lettering will be part of the actual crest rather than separate from it.
  • The red color is now lighter/closer to the KC Chiefs red, and the gold is more "gold" tone than yellowish
  • Blue will only be featured on the numbers & background of shield. Jerseys themselves are red dominant, big white stripe, gold outline; road reversed
  • Logo is very aggressive looking, more natural 'Florida Panther' ... Red eyes, bared teeth makes it, well, look mean.
  • Numbers are white w/ blue outline, but could end up white w/ gold for home & blue on road whites
  • New fonts for everything
  • HOME: Big center stripe is white outlined in gold. No blue except behind shield.
  • Collars will have laces
  • Logo is not a 'flat' panther head; it seems to turn out of shield and remain 3D like current 'leaping cat' does
  • Didn't see a U.S. flag on the shoulder, but considering a state flag similar to what Calgary does
  • Panther faces to the left instead of the right (the drawing made it facing right)

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I was also really impressed with the Winter Classic jerseys. The strange font the Habs went with actually looked really good in my opinion, even though it is a bit too similar to the Islanders' Brooklyn jersey in my opinion. That jersey is really nice. As for Boston, I thought their jersey was really good. I wish both teams didn't use the rounded collars. That NHL logo stuck out like a sore thumb and I thought they were wearing oversized Youth Replicas that have the NHL crest sticking out. That didn't look good but, the jerseys did make up for that. I wish both teams would have used lace-ups. I also think the Bruins should have worn brown, and had the off white on the front of the jersey, and not just the names and numbers. Such a missed opportunity to wear brown in my personal opinion, but the black did look good. I hope Boston's jersey becomes their new alternate. I do believe it is a lot better than their longtime third jersey, though, I still cannot believe the Bruins haven't brought their yellow WC jersey back as an alternate. That drives me crazy. As for the Canadiens, I hope they wear it again this season. I honestly agree about the Habs just having it for this season and not as an alternate.

So basically this without all the fix-ins

SrHTsao.png

It has potential, but the blue is gonna feel EXTREMELY out of place on this jersey.

Also, in Icethetics 90's design feature, they showed some sketches of Florida's potential logos and I saw this in the bunch which could end up looking a lot like the panther head rumored to be apart of their new logo next year.

27i2yd9.png

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I said this was my prediction in the 2015-16 thread. Maybe, hopefully, it's more like my original thought and not the monstrosity I made for the second one

Florida has a bunch of predictions surrounding a 101st Airborne logo, so I think it's obvious that this is happening:

Florida%20101st%20prediction%20logo_zpsq

They also say there's going to be a focus on red, a yellow (darker than usual) chest stripe like the Canadiens, and Blackhawks influences

florida%20prediction%20jersey%202_zpsag5

But there have also clearly been said to "expect a horizontal logo (like the Blackhawks," so my only thought is that there has to be a leaping panther (maybe a panther head? But then why have the 101st logo?) and they mentioned in a circle. So I shamelessly stole the Coyotes old jumping logo (because the panther I drew looked HORRIBLE) and pasted a panther head on top, then put it over an oval.

George Richards also clearly states "Unique features" for the jersey, so I'm thinking scratch mark stripes (that I stole from the Utah Grizzlies)

Remember, this is a mockup, not a concept, and I AM citing my work. All of this is for an idea of what this should look like.

florida%20prediction%20jersey%203_zpslxh

Thoughts? Accurate? Anyone think Florida isn't going to create a total monstrosity?

I said this was my prediction in the 2015-16 thread. Maybe, hopefully, it's more like my original thought and not the monstrosity I made for the second one

Florida has a bunch of predictions surrounding a 101st Airborne logo, so I think it's obvious that this is happening:

Florida%20101st%20prediction%20logo_zpsq

They also say there's going to be a focus on red, a yellow (darker than usual) chest stripe like the Canadiens, and Blackhawks influences

florida%20prediction%20jersey%202_zpsag5

But there have also clearly been said to "expect a horizontal logo (like the Blackhawks," so my only thought is that there has to be a leaping panther (maybe a panther head? But then why have the 101st logo?) and they mentioned in a circle. So I shamelessly stole the Coyotes old jumping logo (because the panther I drew looked HORRIBLE) and pasted a panther head on top, then put it over an oval.

George Richards also clearly states "Unique features" for the jersey, so I'm thinking scratch mark stripes (that I stole from the Utah Grizzlies)

Remember, this is a mockup, not a concept, and I AM citing my work. All of this is for an idea of what this should look like.

Thoughts? Accurate? Anyone think Florida isn't going to create a total monstrosity?

This...with all rumors considered...is probably really close. Not sure that it'll actually look good on the ice though. The 101st logo idea has the potential to be really bad.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This was sounding nice until I read about the potential state flag shoulder patch. Who looks at Calgary's secondary logo treatment and thinks it's a good idea to emulate... Especially when they currently use one of the best shoulder logos in the league.

Based on what I gathered from his series of tweets tonight about the uniforms, I compiled a list. I'll post it below, but bgmack already posted a list and besides only a few things, its more or less the same. Two things I noticed though that were in concepts above and not on his list are:

-Unlike the Habs, there will be no stripes below the chest stripe

-The flag patch, at least for the state of Florida, will be more stylized and won't have the state seal included.

Now this here is just speculation on my part, but could the flag thing for Florida be in a roundel or something of the sort, similar to how Arizona does it now (except that's in the silhouette of the state), or how the Texas Stars do theirs? Nothing like that was mentioned but it's a thought.

Also not a bad thing to note, Florida's flag is only red and white without the seal, which fits into Florida's colors

My list of what I found from the tweets:

-Primary logo a shield with a panther coming from the right, more natural look, red eyes, teeth bared. Will apparently have a 3d look to it.

-Shield is dominated by cat head, will have “Panthers” above it at home and “Florida” above it on the road

-Secondary logo will alternate “Florida” and “Panthers” depending on home or road, “sharp and original as the stick/palm tree”

-Red home jersey with white stripe outlined in gold, colors reversed for road (My assumption is white, red stripe, gold outline)

-No bottom stripe below chest stripes

-Numbers on home white with blue or gold outline, blue numbers on road whites

-No blue on home jersey aside from in the crest

-Lace up collars

-New fonts for numbers and crest

-Blue pants, assumed that rest of equipment remains blue

-Slightly lighter red, but darker than KC Chiefs red, blue assumed to be the same, more of a gold color not yellow

-May incorporate something similar to flames with flags, possibly in a stylized logo

-Florida flag used is definitely stylized, with stylized seal in the middle

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

Archived