2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

To me, the Flyers can never be Top 10 as long as these exist

7Te5qrn.jpg     CYYT9ff.jpg

That may be stupid thinking, but I don't like the Flyers current uniforms as much when I realize how great they could be. The shade of orange is better in the above uniforms too. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think those Flyers jerseys were perfect, either. The extra stripe at the end of the sleeve was unnecessary, and the hemlines were bad. Definitely worse than the current hemline striping. 

The perfect Flyers jersey is somewhere between that and their currents, but I don't see anybody really going for it and perfecting it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

14 minutes ago, Ark said:

By the hemline do you mean the black stripe?

If so, I disagree. Having a full waist stripe would have looked out of place.

I do mean the black stripe, which fully blends into the pants. I think SLIGHTLY simplifying the shoulder stripe, especially at the sleeves, would've made a real hemline stripe not only possible, but quite good. 

I think the socks are also kinda random. Random enough that they inspired the current third jersey. 

Like I said, neither set is flawless, and I think the ideal jersey set is somewhere between the two, and I've yet to see a perfect concept of that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 6/3/2016 at 2:46 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  The numbers should have been outlined differently.  There should be red on the blue numbers, and blue on the white numbers.  The red jerseys need more blue to tie in to the logo, and the white jersey numbers just look out of place without any red.  

2.  The logos are definitely all upgrades, though (as others have mentioned), the feet on the new leaping cat are terrible.  I like how they didn't go overly aggressive anywhere - they look less "cartoony" and more professional now.

3.  I really like the jerseys a whole hell of a lot more than I expected to.  My main gripe is that there's not enough blue on the red jersey and overall the numbers just don't seem to go with anything.

4.  I'm glad they didn't go with an overly-custom number font.  

5.  I like the idea of their sleeve patches, including the captain patch.  Something about it just doesn't sit right with me.  One thing is that I just don't like that flag.  I get that it's based on FLA's actual flag, but it's just not attractive IMO.  Maybe it's the whole crossed bars on a southern flag thing that just subliminally evokes other feelings to me, I'm not sure.

6.  Comparisons to the Canadiens aren't absurd, but pretty close to absurd.  There's no way a reasonable person can look at this uniform and call it a rip off of MTL's.  

Overall they did a really nice job with this.  It's a shame they don't seem proud of their work and want to make it as hard as possible to see it.

I agree with pretty much everything here.  The closest thing to a disagreement is that I don't even like the idea of the sleeve patch / caption patch. 

I am totally on board with points #1 and 3...nice overall but needs a bit better color-balance.

Regarding #4, I did not even think about it...I guess I usually notice the custom fonts.  A nice, pretty-close-to-block font did not register (it should have considering nobody does that anymore)

#6...I don't know how close to absurd they are...the element may have been inspired by the Habs, but so what?  It's not like anything else on there looks Canadien-like.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The numbers are straight out of the NFL's custom-for-custom's-sake playbook, aren't they?

You mean like the Reebok-era Vikings?

Kinda.  But it beats a paint-brush stroke or something with four claw marks scratched across.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Panthers removed every bit of personality from the original set. Everything about the new set is bland beige and borrowed from another team. Not at all a fan. Vegas gold or whatever the hell you call it belongs in a boardroom not on a pro sports uniform. The Panthers original logo and colour scheme was bold and in your face. Overall it was easily a top 10 uniform. The new one is tame and corporate looking.

They never had that much personality in the first place, and borrowed the Penguins' template for their original sweaters. The new logo looks more like a Florida panther than the old one ever did, which I count as an improvement. The military iconography is a little unfortunate, but they look good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Ark said:

7Te5qrn.jpg     CYYT9ff.jpg

That may be stupid thinking, but I don't like the Flyers current uniforms as much when I realize how great they could be. The shade of orange is better in the above uniforms too. 

Closet Flyers fan here.  I always thought these were decent uniforms until I saw what the team currently wears.  Soooo much better now.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The numbers are straight out of the NFL's custom-for-custom's-sake playbook, aren't they?

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

You mean like the Reebok-era Vikings?

Kinda.  But it beats a paint-brush stroke or something with four claw marks scratched across.

No, much less custom.  Many of the numbers look just like normal block.  At first glance only the 1 stood out to me.

The Vikings and Cardinals have numbers that were blatantly tampered with to make them "unique", including the addition of little notches that nobody designing a number set would ever add unless explicitly instructed to.

Hell it might not even be a custom font - maybe just not one that's typically used in hockey.  It's refreshing though, and sticks to the "traditional yet contemporary" vibe I get from these.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Ark said:

The flyers orange has always reminded me of a construction zone.

The hem stripes are too similar to the Ducks third.  No need for the Panthers to emulate their expansion cousins.  Maybe try repeating the sleeve stripe pattern on the hem and straightening them out.  Besides that, it looks great.

7 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Panthers_zpss893ssat.png

Yeah I know it's based on the Ducks 3rd. Forgot to mention that, originally. I'm trying to think of a way to fix either the arms or the hem stripe to distinguish the looks. Haven't came up yet with something that works. Any one got any ideas?

Archived