2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

If you think about it, this change for the Panthers is very comparable to when the Penguins went to vegas gold. Keep the animal but change the logo. Keep the colors but change to a gold instead of yellow. And look where the Penguins are now...about to change back to their originals. Watch in 15 years, the Panthers will be back in their original look.

Also, the Flyers jerseys aren't perfect now. Anyone who is on this site knows that the numbers shouldn't overlap the striping like that, it looks horrible.

I'm on this site and I don't have a problem with that aspect of it.  I do dislike the alternate-color name plates (especially the black) and I do prefer the pre-edge jerseys (except for that black monstrosity) but I don't see any issue with the numbers being where they are.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I feel like what we see on center ice next year will determine what the primary logo is... Unless they do something odd like Flyers and Habs-like center ice logos with both FLORIDA and PANTHERS on the tops, or a Secondary logo, or third logo... 

FAKE EDIT: It would be hilarious if they just used the updated Leaping Panther as the center Ice logo...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I do dislike the alternate-color name plates (especially the black)

Weren't you saying the white nameplates on orange have become kind of a signature design element for the Flyers, appearing on event staff shirts and stuff? I do like that. The Miracle on Ice team had contrasting nameplates, and while they rarely, rarely work, I haven't minded the Flyers being the ones to do it. Not the case for the atrocious white-on-black-on-white nameplates, of course.

Here's my whirl at a happy medium between Flyers designs:

Basically the 1980s-2007 design but with thinner shoulders. The original uniquely blocky Flyers lettering is back. Straight black hem stripes are back because I insist upon straight hems for any hockey concept I do. Yeah, it's just hyper-condensed Helvetica Bold for the wordmark, and yes, it's a contrasting wordmark-plate on the black helmets.

flyershome.jpg

flyersroad.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2016-06-05 at 2:54 PM, hockey week said:

The perfect Flyers jersey is somewhere between that and their currents, but I don't see anybody really going for it and perfecting it.

At the time their Edge jerseys were in their wardrobe, someone made a Photoshop (not me, hehe) of the home jersey with orange and black reversed...

orangeflyersedge.jpg

I have similar feelings, when it comes to the Flyers look. I always thought their full white arm stripe should have a black trim; a thin one like they sported on their edge jerseys was perfect. The throwbacks, I don't think they're bad looking jerseys. I just feel like something's missing on those, for them to be an excellent comtemporary look. I will agree with the argument about how RBK's cookie-cutter apron template is not good. That said, I think this jersey with a few fixes here and there would be superior to the traditional throwbacks.

As for the contrasting nameplates, I'm in the camp who thinks they're great for the Flyers because team history. Don't know how popular or unpopular that opinion is, but I think they're a nice touch.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

So what's strange is that they're putting a secondary logo on their home sweaters.

It's not that unusual. The Wild use a secondary mark as the home crest. The Thrashers once did the same. If you want to take it a step further; the Mighty Ducks, Maple Leafs, Flames, and Stars have used alternate coloured versions of their primary crests on the home uniform.

The two Panthers crests are very reminiscent of the baseball practice of team name on the home uniform, city/state name on the roads.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

54 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The Flyers first edge set was awful.  Particularly when you saw the sleeve design from the side.

I liked their first Edge set. The wing-like stripes on the sleeves were a nice touch. I just wish they had a matching orange jersey. Regardless, that look was a million times better than the traffic cone sweaters.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

12 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I liked their first Edge set. The wing-like stripes on the sleeves were a nice touch. I just wish they had a matching orange jersey. Regardless, that look was a million times better than the traffic cone sweaters.

You've gotta be kidding me. These? You actually liked these?

83869410-scottie-upshall-of-the-philadel

81220209-lasse-kukkonen-of-the-philadelp

79425031-derian-hatcher-of-the-philadelp

83869416-braydon-coburn-of-the-philadelp

83707504-arron-asham-of-the-philadelphia

...why?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Panthers shot wide on their rebrand. 

Lots to complain about here:

PRIMARY LOGO(S)

• The fact that I'm writing primary logos already is a bad omen for this identity. Choose a single icon and stick with it...
  • The panthers primary has Shutterstock illustration written all over it... get a professional designer to render it.
  • Try Dick Sakahara:http://www.dicksakahara.com/portfolio/creatureart1/03.asp
  • The lifework on the panther is confused... part of it is jaggy and part of it has smooth graceful lines... pick one treatment.
  • The shield smacks of the MLS, which is an insult to the free flowing beautifully crested NHL teams logos. Why the shield? And it's not even a dynamic shield shape...
  • The red eyes looks like the panther has bad allergies. So trite. So predictable. 
  • The primary logos are iIDENTICAL, except for flipping out PANTHERS for FLORIDA, why? That's so lazy,

SECONDARY LOGOS.

• The panther on top of the flag is just silly looking. It's neither clever nor clean nor interesting. And it's way too vertical.
  • The helmet panther? Seriously, take the old logo, reduce it' interest then slap it on the helmet. Some over thought the :censored: out of this.
  • Okay, the number fonts are very good. Clean and legible.

UNIFORMS. JERSEYS.

• The gold and red don't contrast enough. For all the reasons the Canadiens red and blue with the white panel work, this one doesn't.
  • Numbers on shoulders = football. The designers should have bought this before they began. https://www.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?productId=500315496#/
  • Gold interpreted on fabric looks like baby :censored: butterscotch. It's not shiny---nor attractive.

UNIFORMS. PANTS.

• Simply navy blue? It's like they called HockeyMonkey.com and said which colour pants do you have the most in stock. BORING. No stripes. No piping. Sucks.

GLOVES.

This is a misfire. So many details handled in such an average manner. It's like the designers at Reebok were too busy working on the WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY so they put a secondary team on the project. It's just not what it should be for a professional NHL team.

Boo!

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

If by nice touch you mean misshapen mess we're in full agreement.  The so called "Traffic Cone" sweaters are an update of the Flyers classic, cup winning look.  It was a godsend when they became the main set, nameplate or not.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in on the Panthers redesign. It's not bad... but not great either. I'm really tired of teams trying to look like they are original six teams  Tampa, Dallas, Carolina... etc. I mean the Sharks and 'Canes actually ruined their jerseys by trying to look ''classic''. Florida managed to scrape by with a decent look, but just barely. The yellow in the jersey is misused, the blue is underused and it just looks kinda bland. Now they definitely could have done much, much worse and this IS an upgrade over the RBK edge look, but that's not saying much and so many opportunities were missed here.

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

gzhBBvg.png

Winnipeg, Washington, Toronto, and New York all work to a degree. Montreal is a beautiful thing and Boston doesn't look too bad either. The rest can burn. 

EDIT: San Jose actually is really good. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Good for a laugh, but there's nothing wrong with the shield as a framing device in and of itself. As the graphic demonstrates, lots of teams' logos are within shapes. The ambiguity of the text on the top is the problem, not the shield.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sharks and Sabres legitimately work for this. Ottawa and Montreal work, but not as a jersey logo because, well, there would be stripes in stripes...stripeception. 

I actually like Columbus' too, but that might only be because I know their logo already. If someone else didn't know the cannon logo, maybe it wouldn't work.

But that Lightning logo is better than all of the ones they've used so far. You can improve it 100% by making the name bar white so it makes a T shape. That's sad for Tampa, but it shows that there's some validity to the shield approach. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

To be honest, of those shield concepts I actually really like the Kings and, strangely enough, Hurricanes. The "CAROLINA" text needs to be fixed a bit, but the "stormy" looking shield in and of itself looks kinda cool (that said, wouldn't make it the primary, though). 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

31 minutes ago, hockey week said:

But that Lightning logo is better than all of the ones they've used so far. You can improve it 100% by making the name bar white so it makes a T shape. That's sad for Tampa, but it shows that there's some validity to the shield approach. 

That is actually a really good idea.  If they did that and somehow incorporated black and silver, they'd have a really solid logo...  Assuming it happens in an alternate universe, where the, current, Panthers redesign doesn't exist.

Archived