2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Good for a laugh, but there's nothing wrong with the shield as a framing device in and of itself. As the graphic demonstrates, lots of teams' logos are within shapes. The ambiguity of the text on the top is the problem, not the shield.

I think the problem is how the shield and the stripe give off a soccer vibe, much different than what we've seen on a hockey jersey. I'm far from a soccer expert, but know I've seen soccer jerseys with a shield, just placed in a different area.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, that's not a bug, that's a feature: South Florida is a very international, decidedly not Rest-of-American place (though Broward sure can fight it). As a Miami-ish expansion team, the Panthers are under no mandate to look uber-traditional; why not take a few design cues from soccer, get that out into the marketplace, and see how it goes over? I've even advocated the Seattle Mariners doing the same thing to shake things up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

If by nice touch you mean misshapen mess we're in full agreement.  The so called "Traffic Cone" sweaters are an update of the Flyers classic, cup winning look.  It was a godsend when they became the main set, nameplate or not.

Unpopular opinion here, but I too liked the original Edge jerseys better than the current.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Their edge jerseys looked like dresses, especially the black one. The awkward termination of the shoulder thing ruined it, as well as the piping (rather than proper-width trim) and bizarre elbow. That and the thrashers had the same template. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

gzhBBvg.png

There are a few on here that aren't terrible (SJ, Boston...maybe Buffalo) but the Montreal one is a thing of beauty, just space out the lettering a tad.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

To me, that's not a bug, that's a feature: South Florida is a very international, decidedly not Rest-of-American place (though Broward sure can fight it). As a Miami-ish expansion team, the Panthers are under no mandate to look uber-traditional; why not take a few design cues from soccer, get that out into the marketplace, and see how it goes over? I've even advocated the Seattle Mariners doing the same thing to shake things up.

i wrote something similar yesterday, i think there is an unintentional soccer vibe to it for which i praised for the same reasons. but now, im not so sure that the soccer aesthetic is necessary or even helpful in attracting new fans or instilling pride in the current fanbase. the question that came to mind today is, do hockey fans (even those that might be more exposed to soccer) really want their hockey team to look anything more than a hockey team? because from my experience, NHL fans are very particular about their teams aesthetics and prefer the traditional visual language above fresh ideas. - exhibit A: the backlash on moving the Panthers numbers to the shoulders. Exhibit B: the "buffaslug" which was maybe more appropriate for football than hockey. 

i mean, i've never seen a logo/brand for a soccer team (or any other sport) that looked like an NFL team and thought "thats something i like!". 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, Snow_Monster said:

Their Winter Classic logo looked even more similar...

rigcxyhgh1n6m8d8ms8lwxqgh.gif

And the Winter Classic logo should never been seen again...brutal.

Anyway I really like Tampa, Montreal and the San Jose shields but the others just don't work and seem forced IMO.

YVRMUBj.png

20 hours ago, Morgo said:

gzhBBvg.png

On second thought, someone should put Johnny Canuck(or w/e his name is) in the Vancouver shield... might look good.

As for the separate discussion about the Flyers, just make some slight alterations to the hem stripes on the fauxback, make a cream version (a road white in a way) and burn the other jerseys...

YVRMUBj.png

lol this shield stuff is so dumb. 

On the topic though, why does no one like the Buffalo application? I think that works. But hey, whatever.

Florida's new set looks nice. I still maintain the leaping panther belongs on the front, but apart from that, it's a solid update.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

There shouldn't be a leaping panther in this set. Move on or don't. 

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

I know, right? lol Blackhawks, what if every team's logo were a person staring to the left? I think it'd go a little something...like this

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't get the people that think the Flyers need to change their uniforms yet again. Their jerseys are some of the best in the NHL and they have an overall look that is unique from the rest of the league. 

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

Yup. Hardly any of these work. The new Panther head was specifically designed to fit within the shield, with all these others it basically amounts to "lol it's generic so every team can do it too"

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't get the people that think the Flyers need to change their uniforms yet again. Their jerseys are some of the best in the NHL and they have an overall look that is unique from the rest of the league. 

I disagree, they're in my bottom 10 looks. It worked for a team new to the league, but it does not translate well to this era. Their 90's look would be just as if not more unique than their current look as well.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived