2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They wanted it to be as realistic as possible, and real penguins don't wear scarves.  They do, however, wear skates and carry sticks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why'd that li'l feller lose his scarf, anyway? It adds so much!

IIRC, they added it for the Winter Classic and then removed it when they weren't playing outside games wearing that uniform anymore.

9 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I had a similar idea only with this jersey:

image.jpeg

Just replace powder blue with yellow and navy with black.

We're talking road jerseys, right? I'd replace white with yellow, navy with black and powder with white.

A logo depicting motion does not belong enclosed in a circle or other boundary. 

The penguin has no room to skate and looks awkward in the circle.  It's why I'm against helmet stripes for teams like the Falcons that have a logo that is "in flight" across the helmet and doesn't need a barrier that only serves to make it appear static.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

IIRC, they added it for the Winter Classic and then removed it when they weren't playing outside games wearing that uniform anymore.

We're talking road jerseys, right? I'd replace white with yellow, navy with black and powder with white.

My idea was for an alternate uniform.

17 hours ago, eww7633 said:

Penguins30.png

It worked for these, which people seem to agree is the best look the Pens have had.

This was always my favourite look... i own a Lemieux and Crosby in this style... Honestly think if they used this with "Pittsburgh Gold" it would be pretty damn good

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

7 minutes ago, GMac said:

This was always my favourite look... i own a Lemieux and Crosby in this style... Honestly think if they used this with "Pittsburgh Gold" it would be pretty damn good

Could somebody mock this up?

So to promote their return to athletic gold, are they finally going to raise back up Mario's old retirement banner with the right colors, the colors which he wore for most his career, and pull the other one down??

Retired number dilemmas like this always make me think of what a generally bad idea it is to change your team's colors. Teams will keep a logo or script but change the colors when it should be the other way around. Spain wouldn't keep its flag design but change the colors to two-tone blue. But it just screams Spain!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

So to promote their return to athletic gold, are they finally going to raise back up Mario's old retirement banner with the right colors, the colors which he wore for most his career, and pull the other one down??

I hate when they change banners. It feels so wrong. Sure, he didn't wear that for most of his career, but that's what he retired in, and he picked those colors.

I also find it amusing:

This is a great identity! They should bring this back! It's perfect!

Penguins24.png

This identity is awful! It's so muddled! It's not unified! They minimize a great logo! It's terrible!

Wild09.png

But yeah, an alt based on any of the above would be pretty great. I like all the concepts for Nashville based on the 1967 striping, because it looks like guitar strings or sheet music, and because that pattern needs to be used somewhere, because it's too good.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

I hate when they change banners. It feels so wrong. Sure, he didn't wear that for most of his career, but that's what he retired in, and he picked those colors.

I hate changing banners as well, but Mario presents a fascinating dilemma. He wore athletic gold most of his career, but clearly prefers Vegas gold. And now the team is ditching Vegas gold in favor of athletic gold.

But given that Mario clearly preferred the Vegas gold (and probably played a role in it sticking around for so long), I'd say keep the banner as-is.

9 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I hate changing banners as well, but Mario presents a fascinating dilemma. He wore athletic gold most of his career, but clearly prefers Vegas gold. And now the team is ditching Vegas gold in favor of athletic gold.

But given that Mario clearly preferred the Vegas gold (and probably played a role in it sticking around for so long), I'd say keep the banner as-is.

Same here. When Jagr finally hangs up his skates (in about a few bazillion years), he can have the athletic gold banner. BTW, I've mocked up my ideal third for the Pens (that I mentioned on the last page):

27441595640_420fcdb75b_b.jpg

It's a little tribute to the double-blue past, while staying within the soon-to-be current brand.

Archived