2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the yellow and white could be reversed so that there's essentially "golden triangles" on the sides.  Either way that'd be the best Penguins look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Penguins actually posted a GIF of how they updated the logo, too.

http://giphy.com/gifs/nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-l46CAPgf8NWbZy7Ly

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Penguins actually posted a GIF of how they updated the logo, too.

http://giphy.com/gifs/nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-l46CAPgf8NWbZy7Ly

Huh. Not how I would've done it. 

29 minutes ago, Thomas said:

the 50 year sign puts things in perspective doesn't it , 4 cups in 50 is not many :(

4 cups in 25 is pretty good though. In fact, it's tied for the most in that time frame, which really sucks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

53 minutes ago, Thomas said:

the 50 year sign puts things in perspective doesn't it , 4 cups in 50 is not many :(

considering most of those came in the last 25 years but chalk that up to a 30 team league. Montreal 100 years 24 cups, haven't won one since the league got to 26 teams. Toronto the same. 

zyyMk1d.png

16 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Same here. When Jagr finally hangs up his skates (in about a few bazillion years), he can have the athletic gold banner. BTW, I've mocked up my ideal third for the Pens (that I mentioned on the last page):

27441595640_420fcdb75b_b.jpg

It's a little tribute to the double-blue past, while staying within the soon-to-be current brand.

I like it, but the black stripes should be thicker. And I know it wouldn't match the old jersey, but it would look better with a black yoke outlined with white as well

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

17 hours ago, kroywen said:

I hate changing banners as well, but Mario presents a fascinating dilemma. He wore athletic gold most of his career, but clearly prefers Vegas gold. And now the team is ditching Vegas gold in favor of athletic gold.

But given that Mario clearly preferred the Vegas gold (and probably played a role in it sticking around for so long), I'd say keep the banner as-is.

A little future prediction because why not...

If the return to athletic gold phase lasts, ironically, Mario will still have his #66 hung on a vegas gold banner (which is a color he rarely ever wore) and Crosby might have his #87 hung on an athletic gold banner (which cannot be determined how long he'll be wearing those colors, possibly just a small fraction of his career). Their banner consistency may wind up completely upside down.

And if Jagr decides to retire someday, what about him? He never wore vegas gold. It will be funny him having the same banner as Crosby, despite having only played with Mario.

Jagr was removed from the Penguins' Ring of Honor and All-Time Team after he signed with Philadelphia instead of coming back to Pittsburgh like he was promising to. 

Last time he was playing here, we had to trade him to Washington for Kris Beech, Michael Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk because he was "dying alive in Pittsbooourgh." That's why we still boo him every time he's here.

He shouldn't get a banner. Ever.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

We're going to have to disagree here, in the context of the NHL, 4 Cups in 50 years is a very significant achievement. Only six other teams have exceeded Pittsburgh's total, and five of those are Original Six teams. Those clubs had a roughly 40 year head start, yet the Pens have already equaled the Rangers output, and are just two away from Boston and Chicago. We should also remember those Expansion Six teams had none of the advantages of modern NHL expansion. All they had were the Original Six castoffs, and this was before the Eastern European talent was available.

Archived