Sign in to follow this  
dylanphotog

Redesign of ESPN's Score Bug

I was watching the NCAA volleyball semifinals last night, and noticed how dated and hard to read the score bug was. I tried my hand at redesigning it. I didn't change too much as far as the concept goes, just tried to clean it up and make it look nicer.

Before: BArxfCd.png

After: KtZZC4I.png

I'll be honest it looks much better.

Kinda surprised the scorebug design ESPN is using for other sports (see the ticker in that screenshot) hasn't filtered down yet. But yeah, the concept looks nice. Could maybe do with a little less white space around "National Semifinal", but that's about my only nitpick. Don't forget, though, it might have to account longer school names.

Yeah, definitely a nice upgrade. Good work.

It kind of looks like the new(ish) FOX Sports one to me but other than that I like it.

I am personally a fan of the scoreboards where the numbers are next to each other, like in most soccer scoreboards. Its a lot easier to read since your eye doesn't have to travel as far to read the score if that makes sense. It doesn't have to travel that far with this but this is just my opinion.

Other than that it is a great improvement, although it does look a little FS1-ish

Kinda surprised the scorebug design ESPN is using for other sports (see the ticker in that screenshot) hasn't filtered down yet. But yeah, the concept looks nice. Could maybe do with a little less white space around "National Semifinal", but that's about my only nitpick. Don't forget, though, it might have to account longer school names.

For a sport that has game-set-match scoring, it might be difficult to apply to the new bug without taking more space up. I like the idea, especially as it is much easier to read.