The 2016 CCSLC Baseball HOF Induction Thread

Crabcake

So now for the big reveal... this year, the CCSLC voted in three members to the baseball hall of fame. They are:

Ken Griffey Jr. - 16/17 votes, 94%

Mike Piazza - 14/17 votes, 82%

Jeff Bagwell - 13/17 votes, 77%

Just missing were Bonds, Clemens, and Trammell, all who had 9 votes and 53%.

I'll be putting the spreadsheet on the OP again now.

Looking at your spreadsheet, you didnt tally my vote where I voted for none of the above
I thought that was a joke. Sorry, my bad

spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now for the big reveal... this year, the CCSLC voted in three members to the baseball hall of fame. They are:

Looking at your spreadsheet, you didnt tally my vote where I voted for none of the above

So in counting the blank ballot, Piazza becomes a borderline pick at 77.8%, Griffey's percentage drops to 88.9%, Bagwell just misses the cut at 72.2%, and Bonds, Clemens and Trammell don't "just miss" but rather each only get half the votes. Then again, I don't see 53% as "just missing" either.

So in essence, our experiment mirrored the BBWWA.

nav-logo.png

So in counting the blank ballot, Piazza becomes a borderline pick at 77.8%, Griffey's percentage drops to 88.9%, Bagwell just misses the cut at 72.2%, and Bonds, Clemens and Trammell don't "just miss" but rather each only get half the votes. Then again, I don't see 53% as "just missing" either.

Yeah, when I said they "just missed", I meant that they were the closest of the people who didn't get elected. But yeah, when you factor in the blank ballot, it's funny how close this mirrors real life.

spacer.png

Yeah, when I said they "just missed", I meant that they were the closest of the people who didn't get elected. But yeah, when you factor in the blank ballot, it's funny how close this mirrors real life.

Thankfully there was a lot less of that going on this year.

Having to have covered the game within the last ten years I think went a long way to getting rid a lot of these fossils that weren't voting for anyone. I would like to see more changes to the process and didn't agree with everything the HOF did, but that was a great first step. Any blank ballot I view as an attention grabber and nothing more, but they still counted and that mattered much more than what I or anyone else thought about it. I was taken aback by how much the voting percentages increased this year. I knew there were a lot of voters like that, but even I didn't think there were that many.

I think it also proves my theory of the lack of modern HOFers having as much to do with people of a certain age as it does PED's to be correct. Even without the PED's I still think you would have plenty of these old-timers trying to argue that Gil Hodges was a way better first baseman then Jeff Bagwell ever was, even though they probably couldn't even tell you what Bagwell's jersey number was.

Now that Statler and Waldorf are finally out of the room, hopefully the voters can finally start getting down to business of putting long overdue guys in. I found this year's results to be both disappointing and far more encouraging than any vote I've seen in the past decade.

Archived