NCAA - Michigan State Spartans Logo Concept

Dwinters24

First concept post on CCSLC, so take it easy on me. This project came out of an unused spartan logo and I altered it for this rebrand concept. I wanted to create a more definitive helmet here while still maintaining the feather connectors. See more of the project here on my behance page. Overall, it was a fun project to practice on, got a lot of photoshop work in there. Let me know what you think!

V80r4MP.jpgzjPg6uH.jpgYIs3PVA.jpgJC54Ilp.jpg

LAXP6z1.png

Looks a little rough but I think if some of the angles were cleaned up it would look better. 8/10 to me.

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Solid update to a solid logo. I'm sure there's high school teams out there that could use a different Spartan logo than the copy.

Appreciate the compliment! That has been a thought, there are some local teams this this would fit perfect for

LAXP6z1.png

It's a good update. The only thing I would mention is that little crease at the eye. I don't think it's needed and looks fine without. And although I don't like being the "it wouldn't produce well when embroidered" guy, it just wouldn't be very visible in practical applications.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Straighten the logo out like it is on the jersey and you have a pretty good logo.

Also, can we see this on a helmet?

Thanks! The reason for the tilt on the logo is designed to fit the helmet best but I see what you mean with consistency. My thought on that was if you imagine a running back putting their head down, how the top of the feathers would look. (Make sense?)

0sIoBWp.jpg?1ECCTQX6.jpg?1

LAXP6z1.png

It's a good update. The only thing I would mention is that little crease at the eye. I don't think it's needed and looks fine without. And although I don't like being the "it wouldn't produce well when embroidered" guy, it just wouldn't be very visible in practical applications.

Thanks jdp, yeah I could probably eliminate that. Embroidery is true though, that was the said "issue" with the existing logo with the connectors. I also had some feedback to exaggerate the cuts at the top/bottom of the helmet which would help immensely.

LAXP6z1.png

I hate to be that guy, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like the old logo was smashed in by an enemy fighter? I assume the Spartan fighter behind the mask was killed.... Not exactly the image I would want to use to present an athletic team or program.

I think it is the downward angle and the top and bottom where there are gaps in the logo that make it look like the old logo was smashed in and broken.

award%20sig.png

Hmmm. I think I prefer the current. Not saying yours is bad, but I feel that the current has a better shape and angle. Your mock-up has a very strange tilt that takes away from the logo.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I hate to be that guy, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like the old logo was smashed in by an enemy fighter? I assume the Spartan fighter behind the mask was killed.... Not exactly the image I would want to use to present an athletic team or program.

I think it is the downward angle and the top and bottom where there are gaps in the logo that make it look like the old logo was smashed in and broken.

Not sure where you're getting that observation. The helmet is a different style in itself which was designed to have a more defined look. The cuts at the top and bottom are part of this style helmet as well. The tilt is a minor change that could be made and seems to be the overall consensus. The point there was to match the logo angle to the helmet.

It makes the team look strong and fearless. 10/10

?

LAXP6z1.png

As an MSU fan, I feel obligated to say not goo but I can't. This is such a great logo. It also looks great on the helmets.

Hmmm. I think I prefer the current. Not saying yours is bad, but I feel that the current has a better shape and angle. Your mock-up has a very strange tilt that takes away from the logo.

The straight forward angle on the jerseys looks better than the downward looking version used on the helmets imo.. Beautifully rendered logo

Thanks for the critique! The tilt was designed to fit the helmet angle, but that is an easy change. My thought was imagine a running back putting his head down, the feathers would look like they'd be ramming into an opposing player.

LAXP6z1.png

I remember seeing this on behance. I think this style of helmet is an improvement from the original. The vertical nose guard in your helmet and positioning of the eye give this a more aggressive look than the current logo. You've kept the same basic silhouette idea so it's still clearly Michigan State. The forward tilt doesn't bother me but could see people liking it if it were at a less extreme angle. Nice job!

Archived