Thrift Store Gems 2016

Chewbacca

Picked up this Dr. J Nets jersey at Goodwill for $4. I'm not sure if it's real - I've never owned a M&N basketball jersey, and it was on the rack beside obviously fake Joe Bryant 76ers and Carmelo Anthony Oak Hill jerseys.

20160204_141539_zpsv3jlwlkm.jpg 20160204_141626_zpsbzni0u9c.jpg 20160204_141545_zpslcnvhnez.jpg

Not holding my breath on it being real, but I thought I'd give it a whirl for $4.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passed up a replica Tomlinson 2007 Pro Bowl jersey (size M) and a Toronto Roadrunners (size S) at my local Value Village today. Both were priced ridiculously high... I'm not sure what's up with Value Village lately but they're really jacking up their jersey prices.

The Kosar definitely, only because a buddy of mine has the same one and told me that shortly after teams stopped wearing it M&N bought the remaining supply and there's no more in the world. Sounds apocryphal but there y'are. 

I still really don't know the difference between Durene nylon and regular jersey nylon. I know there have been threads about it but I'm not the brightest bulb. 

^ To answer your Q: Durene merely refers to the chemical treatment of the fabric; they could be made from cotton or cotton/synthetic fabric- the normal stuff used as far as jerseys made from nylon are a mesh fabric.

Hope this kind of answers your Q; if anybody can give me a better description, go ahead.

UBwef0L.png

23 hours ago, sportsed said:

Toward the end of last year I was in the right place at the right time and scored these two lots off Craigslist. 

$100 for all this

351v5ef.jpg

$225 for all this

2hcnmeo.jpg

Two once in a lifetime lots within a month of each other. 

Congrats dude, I'm really jealous. Are you selling any of your hockey jerseys at all? 

In the 2015 thread, I touched upon this: During the 1990s, before the NFL went to one manufacturer (first Reebok, now Nike) to make the on-field/retail uniforms, jerseys sold for retail, whether it was a mere replica or their ProLine jerseys (the latter being the ones closest to looking like the real on-field product) was a crapshoot as to who would be the manufacturer.

Of particular note, one manufacturer was Wilson/Staff, which is Wilson's golf division. I find it really odd and peculiar that Wilson's golf division would make jerseys for the NFL.....

UBwef0L.png

2 hours ago, johnnysama said:

In the 2015 thread, I touched upon this: During the 1990s, before the NFL went to one manufacturer (first Reebok, now Nike) to make the on-field/retail uniforms, jerseys sold for retail, whether it was a mere replica or their ProLine jerseys (the latter being the ones closest to looking like the real on-field product) was a crapshoot as to who would be the manufacturer.

Of particular note, one manufacturer was Wilson/Staff, which is Wilson's golf division. I find it really odd and peculiar that Wilson's golf division would make jerseys for the NFL.....

Wilson/Staff was 1995 only.

18539b_lg.jpeg

But yeah, it was weird.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On February 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM, sportsed said:

The Kosar definitely, only because a buddy of mine has the same one and told me that shortly after teams stopped wearing it M&N bought the remaining supply and there's no more in the world. Sounds apocryphal but there y'are. 

I still really don't know the difference between Durene nylon and regular jersey nylon. I know there have been threads about it but I'm not the brightest bulb. 

Johnnysama has the right answer on Durene. As far as M&N buying the remaining stock, that's not quite true. There are at least 2 manufacturers I can think of who still make Durene jerseys in The US. As a fellow Ohioan, those are beauties you have there.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this really qualifies as "Thrift Store," but I recently ordered a $30 red Evgeny Kuznetsov jersey online. I'm excited for a few reasons; first, Kuznetsov is my favorite player, second, shop.NHL.com doesn't have his jersey, meaning I'd need to get a customized one if I wanted his name (they run about $200), and third, I've actually never owned the current red jersey the Caps have. I got into hockey midway through the 2010-11 season, and soon after I ordered a blank white jersey. My next jersey was their blue one from the mid 90's, and that one's lasted me for three years. I'll finally be able to properly Rock the Red after 5 and a half years!

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Crabcake47 said:

Not sure if this really qualifies as "Thrift Store," but I recently ordered a $30 red Evgeny Kuznetsov jersey online. I'm excited for a few reasons; first, Kuznetsov is my favorite player, second, shop.NHL.com doesn't have his jersey, meaning I'd need to get a customized one if I wanted his name (they run about $200), and third, I've actually never owned the current red jersey the Caps have. I got into hockey midway through the 2010-11 season, and soon after I ordered a blank white jersey. My next jersey was their blue one from the mid 90's, and that one's lasted me for three years. I'll finally be able to properly Rock the Red after 5 and a half years!

Online... personalized... $30... China knock-off?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

Yup B)

Then I believe this is the thread you're looking for.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived