Best and Worst Sports Logos

TheRoyalsFan20

12 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Literally no one but you cares and it's not based off the military, it's based off the RCAF. I guess you must hate the Blackhawks logo for its military ties

That is the Military dude... And I care, Winnipeg has a huge Military tradition to it. Hell the Blue Bombers were named after a fighter squadron. Plus, seeing a sluggish jet vs a fast and sleek fighter jet, this is the pros not beer league

zyyMk1d.png

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, clonewars2008 said:

That is the Military dude... And I care, Winnipeg has a huge Military tradition to it. Hell the Blue Bombers were named after a fighter squadron. Plus, seeing a sluggish jet vs a fast and sleek fighter jet, this is the pros not beer league

You still get the point I'm making. And I was talking about caring so negatively about it.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Complaining about the military industrial complex in this case is a bit silly. It's more of a cottage industry in Canada.

You're also ignoring the fact that Winnipeg has a history as a RCAF town, which makes the roundel a logical choice for a logo when coupled with the "Jets" name.

As for the logo you posted? Dated, in more ways than one. The emphasis is on a civilian passenger jet. An aircraft that's sluggish and slow. Not attributes you want associated with your hockey team. Military fighter jets though? Dangerous, sleek, and fast. A much better choice.

Not saying it's a perfect logo, I'm saying it's better than the current primary.  Hell, both previous Jet's logos are better than the current primary...  I can't tell you how many people in Calgary were ecstatic for the return of the Jets only to stop caring completely once the logo and brand identity were revealed.  Yes, they are not Winnipeg Jets fans but a lot of them were sports logo enthusiasts.

Military jets can certainly look sleek and fast but neither of those attributes apply to the one depicted in that logo...  It looks bulbous and non-descript.  The whole package has "Beer League" written all over.

16 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Not saying it's a perfect logo, I'm saying it's better than the current primary.  Hell, both previous Jet's logos are better than the current primary...  

The last logo the Jets 1.0 had is only "good" in comparison to the one you posted. I'll get back to that later.

I can't tell you how many people in Calgary were ecstatic for the return of the Jets only to stop caring completely once the logo and brand identity were revealed.

Well I don't think fans in Calgary were the target demographic. The crowd shots in Winnipeg seems to show that the new look's been accepted. Which is telling, considering the throwback stuff is so available.

As for people in general being turned off by it...anyone who thought the Thrashers were going to adopt any previous Jets uniform in full wasn't thinking it through. Both the team and the league have been adamant that this team is the Thrashers, not the Jets of old. A new look was inevitable.

Military jets can certainly look sleek and fast but neither of those attributes apply to the one depicted in that logo...  It looks bulbous and non-descript.

You want to talk about a bulbous and non-descript jet? From the logo you said was superior to the current logo...

grB5P2T.gif

As for the current Jets' logo? It's actually based off of the CF-18 Hornet. Which is the fighter jet used by the RCAF. So it all works.

A logo being accepted by a fan-base doesn't automatically make it good.  The Slug was accepted by Buffalo's fan-base.

A new look was inevitable but again, that doesn't make the current one good.  What they need is a full rebrand.

You want to talk about a bulbous and non-descript jet? From the logo you said was superior to the current logo...

grB5P2T.gif

Jet looks terrible in this logo but at least there are some other redeeming qualities like the contrail and hockey stick being incorporated into the word mark.  I don't see any redeeming qualities in the current logo and after googling CF-18 Hornet, it looks even worse.  Get someone who knows how to illustrate a CF-18 Hornet...

On 1/27/2016 at 8:33 PM, Morgo said:

I can't tell you how many people in Calgary were ecstatic for the return of the Jets only to stop caring completely once the logo and brand identity were revealed.  Yes, they are not Winnipeg Jets fans but a lot of them were sports logo enthusiasts.

uhh I live in Winnipeg and I can tell you it's very much loved here

3 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

uhh I live in Winnipeg and I can tell you it's very much loved here

I'm sure it is, that doesn't make it a great logo...  Winnipeg would embrace anything the team released so long as the name was retained.  15 years without hockey will do that.

42 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I'm sure it is, that doesn't make it a great logo...  Winnipeg would embrace anything the team released so long as the name was retained.  15 years without hockey will do that.

No but what makes it a bad logo is your opinion

37 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

No but what makes it a bad logo is your opinion

Of course it's my opinion, I said it.  Maybe you or Cap could explain why it's a great logo, I've already explained why I think it isn't...

On 2016-01-27 at 10:08 PM, Morgo said:

A logo being accepted by a fan-base doesn't automatically make it good.  The Slug was accepted by Buffalo's fan-base.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

You're ignoring the fact that while the BuffaSlug sold it was never really accepted. The calls to replace it with the classic logo started about halfway through the Slug's first season. The initial wave of sales was primarily motivated by the return to blue and gold. Once that novelty wore off? People realized they hated the logo. The honeymoon period for the Jets' new look is over, and fans still seem to be embracing it.

36 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Of course it's my opinion, I said it.  Maybe you or Cap could explain why it's a great logo, I've already explained why I think it isn't...

I've already stated why I feel it's a great logo. And why I feel your logic is flawed. You've ignored both. Since you asked though? I'll repeat myself...

I don't think it being inspired by the RCAF roundel is a bad thing. This isn't a case of athletes wearing camo, pretending to be soldiers. Hell, the team payed the RCAF for the right to use the roundel as a design element. That's more most teams can say for "military appreciation" merchandise.

The RCAF roundel works on a few levels. The first is obvious. Military jets are sleek, fast, and agile. Perfect attributes for a hockey team. And who flies and operates military jet fighters in Canada? The RCAF. The second level involves Winnipeg's history as a RCAF town. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers' name has air force roots as well.

So the military connection the town has and the name of the team all come together to make the RCAF roundel the perfect starting point for any new Winnipeg Jets identity.

So that leaves the execution of the concept. It's a bit basic, but that's not a bad thing. You of all people should be aware that retro is the in trend, sometimes to the team in question's determent. The strength of the Jets' logo lies in the fact that it's relatively basic and simple without being faux-retro. And believe me. There's room for faux-retro when dealing with RCAF-themed hockey identities.

Instead the logo uses the RCAF roundel as a starting point and does its own thing. Simple, basic, easily identifiable, but not faux-retro. The jet depiction doesn't bother me. It's certainly more agile than the jet used in the 1974-90 logo and more detailed than the jet in the 1990-96 logo. And the notch pointing north for TNSE? Ownership groups often promote themselves through their team's identities. Orca Bay changed the Canucks' logo to an orca. The Charlotte Bobcats were named such because their original owner was named Bob. So in that context? A notch pointing north, one that conforms to the nosecone of the jet anyway, isn't so egregious.

Considering the fact that most people never thought the league would return to Winnipeg after '96? I would say they're allowed to do a victory lap for making it happen.

28 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

You're ignoring the fact that while the BuffaSlug sold it was never really accepted. The calls to replace it with the classic logo started about halfway through the Slug's first season. The initial wave of sales was primarily motivated by the return to blue and gold. Once that novelty wore off? People realized they hated the logo. The honeymoon period for the Jets' new look is over, and fans still seem to be embracing it.

It didn't just sell, it was number one in merchandise sales in 2007...  Sure there were a small amount of impassioned fans that rejected the design, 'Sabres not Slugs' is a website that comes to mind, but the fact remains that a majority of Sabres fans bought the new uniforms and cheered their team to the western conference finals decked in 'slug' merchandise.

I've already stated why I feel it's a great logo. And why I feel your logic is flawed. You've ignored both. Since you asked though? I'll repeat myself...

I don't think it being inspired by the RCAF roundel is a bad thing. This isn't a case of athletes wearing camo, pretending to be soldiers. Hell, the team payed the RCAF for the right to use the roundel as a design element. That's more most teams can say for "military appreciation" merchandise.

The RCAF roundel works on a few levels. The first is obvious. Military jets are sleek, fast, and agile. Perfect attributes for a hockey team. And who flies and operates military jet fighters in Canada? The RCAF. The second level involves Winnipeg's history as a RCAF town. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers' name has air force roots as well.

So the military connection the town has and the name of the team all come together to make the RCAF roundel the perfect starting point for any new Winnipeg Jets identity.

Military Jets are sleek, fast and agile yet the one depicted in this logo looks morbidly obese....  Are we looking at the bottom of the jet or the top and if the latter is true, where is the cockpit?  While were at it, the RCAF logo is not a good starting point of any identity...  It is a bland, outdated logo for an even more outdated institution and I personally find it offensive that I cannot enjoy sports without being inundated with military propaganda.  "But the RCAF isn't the same as the military."  Well are they really any different in principle?  They are both outdated institutions that promote division amongst the human family and should be condemned, not celebrated.

So that leaves the execution of the concept. It's a bit basic, but that's not a bad thing. You of all people should be aware that retro is the in trend, sometimes to the team in question's determent. The strength of the Jets' logo lies in the fact that it's relatively basic and simple without being faux-retro. And believe me. There's room for faux-retro when dealing with RCAF-themed hockey identities.

If you want to go retro, go retro and bring back one of the previous Jet's logos...  Don't dumb down a new mark that incorporates a contemporary colour scheme, with no less than 7 swatches, just to fit in.

Instead the logo uses the RCAF roundel as a starting point and does its own thing. Simple, basic, easily identifiable, but not faux-retro. The jet depiction doesn't bother me. It's certainly more agile than the jet used in the 1974-90 logo and more detailed than the jet in the 1990-96 logo. And the notch pointing north for TNSE? Ownership groups often promote themselves through their team's identities. Orca Bay changed the Canucks' logo to an orca. The Charlotte Bobcats were named such because their original owner was named Bob. So in that context? A notch pointing north, one that conforms to the nosecone of the jet anyway, isn't so egregious.

Considering the fact that most people never thought the league would return to Winnipeg after '96? I would say they're allowed to do a victory lap for making it happen.

The Canucks Orca is one of the most universally derided logos in the history of the NHL... Not exactly a comparison, a team trying to establish a new identity, would like to have.  Had they incorporated the TNSE mark in more clever way, I wouldn't mind.  In this case, it looks tacked on.  Of course these are all just my opinions and I do not expect you or anyone else to agree with them.  I just do not think their current identity is good let alone great.  Chris from Icethetics didn't even think it was the real deal when it was leaked, saying it was an amateur fan concept. 5 years later and I still agree.

15 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Chris from Icethetics

He doesn't like it? All the more reason to keep it. His site is a great source of news but man, is his taste/tact terrible. Lest we forget the whole "I found the guy who designed the Sens' heritage alternate, and he's going to do the Jets RIGHT!" fiasco. Kind of hilarious that a guy would call the real deal a "fan concept" when he used a glorified fan concept as clickbate.

While were at it, the RCAF logo is not a good starting point of any identity...  It is a bland, outdated logo for an even more outdated institution and I personally find it offensive that I cannot enjoy sports without being inundated with military propaganda.  "But the RCAF isn't the same as the military."  Well are they really any different in principle?  They are both outdated institutions that promote division amongst the human family and should be condemned, not celebrated.

I'll just stick with this response.

I disagree with you on the issues of the RCAF and the Canadian military in general. As such I do not find anything about the current Jets logo to be "offensive" or "divisive" myself.

It didn't just sell, it was number one in merchandise sales in 2007...  Sure there were a small amount of impassioned fans that rejected the design, 'Sabres not Slugs' is a website that comes to mind, but the fact remains that a majority of Sabres fans bought the new uniforms and cheered their team to the western conference finals decked in 'slug' merchandise.

Eastern Conference Finals.

Anyway the backlash against the Slug manifested shortly after the season got underway. There's a reason why the Sabres switched from the Slug as soon as they were able to in accordance with league bylaws. The Jets' identity is still being embraced. We're well beyond the point that BuffaSlug comparisons can be made.

Also? The Jets 2.0 have had the right and means to introduce throwback alternates. And they haven't. Which tells me their research indicates that it's just not worth it. Why? Probably because the new Jets stuff has proved to be just as popular as the old Jets stuff.

19 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Sidney Crosby's jersey was the #1 seller or at least in the top 3 sellers for how many years? Sales doesn't equal good design. The fact that people hated it and wanted a change half way through the season should tell a lot, but the sales don't automatically make it a loved design. People by :censored:ty merchanside. Look at the past few ASGs.

Military Jets are sleek, fast and agile yet the one depicted in this logo looks morbidly obese....  Are we looking at the bottom of the jet or the top and if the latter is true, where is the cockpit?  While were at it, the RCAF logo is not a good starting point of any identity...  It is a bland, outdated logo for an even more outdated institution and I personally find it offensive that I cannot enjoy sports without being inundated with military propaganda.  "But the RCAF isn't the same as the military."  Well are they really any different in principle?  They are both outdated institutions that promote division amongst the human family and should be condemned, not celebrated.

You do not seem to realize that the logo is simply a play off the RCAF and not celebrating it. Winnipeg has a big history with the Air Force, but that was the past. I don't know what else the team has to do with the Air Force as it's only ever brought up when people are talking about the logo. You seem to be more passionate about a very minimal military-inspired logo yet you don't seem to have any problems with the Blackhawks logo which has origins of the military and Native Americans.

The jet from the old logo doesn't look anything like an Air Force jet. It looks like a mixture of a commercial jet and a self-pleasuring device. And not to mention that the old logo just looks like a bunch of stuff put on a plate.

If you want to go retro, go retro and bring back one of the previous Jet's logos...  Don't dumb down a new mark that incorporates a contemporary colour scheme, with no less than 7 swatches, just to fit in.

As much as people in Winnipeg would have liked that at the beginning, they would have gotten tired of it. Nobody here really cares for the old branding, they really just care for the team. The return of the Jets marked a new era and team and I don't think people would have liked them to simply don the old logo. The name was enough.

The Canucks Orca is one of the most universally derided logos in the history of the NHL... Not exactly a comparison, a team trying to establish a new identity, would like to have.  Had they incorporated the TNSE mark in more clever way, I wouldn't mind.  In this case, it looks tacked on.  Of course these are all just my opinions and I do not expect you or anyone else to agree with them.  I just do not think their current identity is good let alone great.  Chris from Icethetics didn't even think it was the real deal when it was leaked, saying it was an amateur fan concept. 5 years later and I still agree.

Just because Chris owns a site on hockey design doesn't make him an expert in hockey design. That's not banging on him, it's just the truth. 

I also wouldn't call the Canucks Orca derided, it really isn't that bad. If you don't know it's origins you couldn't care less for it. But I must say that it's extremely dated.

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

He doesn't like it? All the more reason to keep it. His site is a great source of news but man, is his taste/tact terrible. Lest we forget the whole "I found the guy who designed the Sens' heritage alternate, and he's going to do the Jets RIGHT!" fiasco. Kind of hilarious that a guy would call the real deal a "fan concept" when he used a glorified fan concept as clickbate.

Chris has terrible taste?  Anyone who cites the navy Whalers uniform from 1993 as their favourite uniform seems to have a pretty good handle on sports aesthetics if you ask me.  He never said Jacob Barrett was going to "do the Jets right" he said he was going to create an alternate that complimented the new look.  His design even used the RCAF logo as a shoulder patch.  Besides, Jacob Barrett did help design the "O" jersey you're so fond of, so it was at least slightly more than a glorified fan concept.  Even if I personally don't think it was anything special.

Eastern Conference Finals.

Anyway the backlash against the Slug manifested shortly after the season got underway. There's a reason why the Sabres switched from the Slug as soon as they were able to in accordance with league bylaws. The Jets' identity is still being embraced. We're well beyond the point that BuffaSlug comparisons can be made.

Except they didn't.  The slug was the primary logo for four excruciating seasons compared to the Fisherman's two.

Also? The Jets 2.0 have had the right and means to introduce throwback alternates. And they haven't. Which tells me their research indicates that it's just not worth it. Why? Probably because the new Jets stuff has proved to be just as popular as the old Jets stuff.

Nobody is glorifying the Jets throwback stuff here, the jerseys are as generic as it gets.  I said the 1970's logo is slightly better than the RCAF roundel.  What I'm advocating is a new logo as I've seen tons of concepts that blow the RCAF roundel out of the water.

maxresdefault.jpg

374625_raw.jpg

Newest SPHL team.  Designed by Rob MacDougall (Also responsible for Toronto Rock primary and BarDown Hockey Apparel)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

While MacDougall is surely a great artist, his logo game isn't his strong suit.

There...are a few things going on in that logo there. 

Remember young designers, a logo should have prioritized visual aspects that are harmonious and don't fight against each other.  That logo looks like a shouting match of too many graphical treatments.

Archived