6 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Watch Manziel catch on with another team and instantly become the next Peyton Manning. 

Seriously though, I'm assuming that it's mostly because he has a huge problem with alcohol and maturity, but I wonder how much of Manziel going straight up DGAF was an attempt to get away from the Browns. Probably none of it. 

At this rate it's a blatant sabotage job to get him out of Cleveland.  It's despicable.  He'll be cut first week of the league year and snatched up immediately by Dallas.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2016 at 8:24 PM, dfwabel said:

Curious sidenote: it seems the NFL is still negotiating with digital partners for additional games, similar to Yahoo but not with a tire fire of a service.

4 minutes ago, Saint Zephyr III said:

Curious sidenote: it seems the NFL is still negotiating with digital partners for additional games, similar to Yahoo but not with a tire fire of a service.

Yahoo announced up to 1,700 job cuts today, about 15% of their workforce in the last 24 hours.

With most of the NFL brass staying in San Jose and Santa Clara this week is partly to work on the digital rights.

18 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yahoo announced up to 1,700 job cuts today, about 15% of their workforce in the last 24 hours.

With most of the NFL brass staying in San Jose and Santa Clara this week is partly to work on the digital rights.

Oh yeah, I didn't even connect with that.  Apple and Google are both apparently bidding hard for the rights so I imagine having a Super Bowl in Silicon Valley is the perfect time to make the best impression.  I'd imagine Google would use the NFL games as an exclusive for their YouTube Red service though.

1 minute ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'm starting to wonder what's more likely. Johnny Football ever hitting an NFL field again, or him winding up dead by the start of next season. 

The real timeline:

Manziel is out of football for the 2016 season, but late in the preseason is brought in to some team, presumably Dallas or Houston, on a tryout basis.  He does a lot of workouts, ESPN covers these ad nauseam, and ultimately ends up as the 3rd string QB who is eventually waived.

Manziel is out of football for the entirety of the 2017 season, with more reports of drinking heavily, arrests, etc.

Around 2018 reports surface that Manziel is working out with former NFL quarterback coaches, is in the best shape of his life, has found Jesus Christ, and is more determined then ever to make an NFL roster.  He does a lot of positive spin pieces, everybody's waiting for him to sign w/ whomever for a chance.  Lo and behold he goes to the Patriots, struggling to find a Brady replacement, and he does a few gimmick things here and there before ultimately finding success as a backup.  The Patriots eventually waive him.

His dream spent, the coverage unyielding, and career failing, Manziel gains about 50 pounds and grovels to ESPN for a job providing analysis on college football.  ESPN says no, since they already have Tim Tebow's ass doing the same thing, so Manziel joins their awful morning show in an embarrassing series of appearances.  Deadspin gets several candid photos of Manziel's fat ass at a strip club doing cocaine, and ESPN destroys all affiliation.

He dies 8 or 9 years later in a drunk driving accident.  A movie is made about him starring an uncomfortably old Val Kilmer.

His dad to the Dallas Morning News:

"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday,"

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/texasamaggies/2016/02/05/johnny-manziels-father-son-get-help-qb-live-see-24th-birthday

While the starting QB is vital, however the BACKUP QB must show the most discipline of all on the roster due to how quickly he can enter the game and preparation.

He is in no condition to be signed to assume that role.

During his senior year in college I compared him to Brian Bosworth. Loud mouth, self-promoter, arrogant beyond belief, but otherwise decent college football player. That comparison worked for a while, but now he's full-on Ryan Leaf. Just doesn't understand the game at the professional level, has severe substance abuse problems, and a terrible stubborn attitude. 

I've always loved when entitled :censored:s get their deserved comeuppance and I loved both times the Bengals humiliated him, but I'm taking no joy in this now. He's got real problems. 

I don't feel comfortable cracking wise about Johnny Manziel. At first I thought it was standard Browns disfunction, but it's looking like he's really a danger to himself.

It could be a combination of expectations and too much too soon, but the guy clearly needs help. Ryan Leaf isn't ending well; it'd be nice if there were some NFL or NFLPA support to get him on the right track.

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I don't feel comfortable cracking wise about Johnny Manziel. At first I thought it was standard Browns disfunction, but it's looking like he's really a danger to himself.

It could be a combination of expectations and too much too soon, but the guy clearly needs help. Ryan Leaf isn't ending well; it'd be nice if there were some NFL or NFLPA support to get him on the right track.

Leaf has been on Radio Row this week telling his story. 

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

So he's out of jail then? That's when I last checked in.

Also, for fun, back in 1998 I was Team Leaf. I thought Manning was too slight-of-frame for the NFL. Boy what a dope I am.

Yes, he is out of the Montana prison.

Just 24 hours ago, Leaf was talking on radio to Dallas Morning News/Around the Horn's Tim Cowlishaw, who is in recovery himself, about Manziel.  It is a 12 minute segment which nothing was off the table. 

Archived