16 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

And $16 million a year is a VERY good offer, but it seems like Denver did that to kinda save face with the fans. They KNEW some schlub of a team would give him more. This way, they could say, "Well, at least we tried!"

You likely nailed it.

BROCK'S AGENT: "Houston's offering my client 18 million a year."

ELWAY: "Oh? Well we were totally prepared to offer Brock, umm, 16 mil. So close! K bye"

55 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

You all seriously under estimate experience and the ability to call a game.  

It would have been a terrible decision to go with Brock over Manning during the playoffs.  The Broncos HAD to beat SD and the jump start Peyton provided got that done.  

You underestimate arm strength and the ability to feel your fingers.  You're suggesting the offense was somehow better with Peyton at QB which is objectively false.  They won entirely on the back of their defense.  I suspect they could have done it with Brock.

As for the bolded part, the rest of the Broncos offense stopped :censored:ing up long enough to get the win over SD done.  The Broncos had four turnovers when he was pulled; one of them was an interception off of his WRs hands which wasn't Brock's fault, another was a interception where his arm was hit while he was throwing which wasn't his fault, and fumbles by Emmanuel Sanders (inside the red zone) and CJ Anderson.  Brock wasn't great in that game, but he wasn't so bad that he would be benched in any other circumstance.

41 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Or, the Broncos were trying to lower Oswiler's value because they were fairly certain this was Peyton's last season....

That's possible but it was no secret Brock was going to have a number of suitors considering the lack of quality QBs on the market.  Giving him a reason to have hard feelings seems more damaging to their cause than his value going up a bit.  I can only speculate, though.

43 minutes ago, Cujo said:

It's not like Brock was light the world on fire. Let's not forget his poor halves in crucial games vs Pittsburgh and pushover teams Oakland and San Diego.

But let's not pretend Denver wasn't committed. They were willing to pony up $16M/year -- a hell of a lot for a kid with 5 career wins and only one 300 yard passing game.

Hey I'm on record here as saying he played average and his stretches of really good play mirrored by stretches in which he played very poorly.

As far as what they offered him, NFL contracts are pretty misleading when you look at them as x years/y million, so who knows.  It's not to say resigning him wasn't their first option, I just question how much of a priority it was for them.

1 minute ago, See Red said:

As far as what they offered him, NFL contracts are pretty misleading when you look at them as x years/y million, so who knows.  It's not to say resigning him wasn't their first option, I just question how much of a priority it was for them.

Re-signing players doesn't seem to be a big priority for Denver, period. But that's a-whole-nother topic.... :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

You take championships every time.  No regerts

CbtSBlYW4AAQqUz_zpsd6v4xwd2.jpg

As a fan?  Yes.

As an athlete? No.

Providing for a family wins.  Holly Holm took the quick $$$ because she is a fighter, rather than her Rousey rematch.  

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

CbtSBlYW4AAQqUz_zpsd6v4xwd2.jpg

As a fan?  Yes.

As an athlete? No.

"Sorry St. Mary's catholic elementary school. I don't have the cash to cover tuition this semester for little Betty, but you can hold my Super Bowl ring!" 

14 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Holly Holm took the quick $$$ because she is a fighter, rather than her Rousey rematch.  

Brock is the Holly Holm of football. Won a title. Got paid. Back in the gutter in 6 months.

3 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Re-signing players doesn't seem to be a big priority for Denver, period. But that's a-whole-nother topic.... :rolleyes:

It's not like this doesn't happen to every Super Bowl winner, though.  There's no way they could have kept those guys with how much they commanded and the holes the Broncos have on the offensive line.  It would've been nice to keep Jackson, but it's a deep draft for defensive linemen.  It would've been nice to keep Osweiler, but he's still a question mark and that was way too high a price to pay.  Of the three, Trevathan's the one I would've wanted to keep.

13 minutes ago, See Red said:

It's not like this doesn't happen to every Super Bowl winner, though.  There's no way they could have kept those guys with how much they commanded and the holes the Broncos have on the offensive line.  It would've been nice to keep Jackson, but it's a deep draft for defensive linemen.  It would've been nice to keep Osweiler, but he's still a question mark and that was way too high a price to pay.  Of the three, Trevathan's the one I would've wanted to keep.

Denver is clearly unwilling to offer an outrageous contract. I get that, but jeez, at some point you've gotta overpay to retain SOMEONE, right!? 

Feels like Elway's just going to sit back, let free agency pick the team apart, eventually get Von singed long-term, and only then decide what they have left and what-the-fxck to do after the smoke has cleared.

7 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

You take championships every time.  No regerts

No Regerts??!!

I can honestly say I've never had a regert in my life.

As much as I think he's a douche, Eagles former and now de-facto current GM Howie Roseman is looking like the exec of the year so far.  Other than the Sam Bradford deal, every single re-signing, FA signing, and trade has been fantastic.  And if he does have a plan to move Bradford, then this could be their best offseason in a decade, pending the draft of course.

Gods I'm hoping Elway calls him up.  If the Broncos are cash strapped then they can't afford Bradford's absurd contract, but there is a way that the Eagles could wait until 3/18, pay his first bonus, then trade him and the receiving team would have a lower cap hit - which actually makes him more attractive on the market.  There's a potential that this contract was actually brilliant.

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Or, the Broncos were trying to lower Oswiler's value because they were fairly certain this was Peyton's last season....

No way.  I do not believe that Denver deliberately sabotaged their playoff run in an attempt to re-sign a mediocre quarterback below market value. 

They put Peyton back in because they felt he was their best option.   And it worked.

16 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I am not butt-hurt....   

I think its funny how he cited being snubbed by PEYTON MANNING as a reason for leaving.   Instead of being gracious of the chance to work with PFM for four seasons, he gets mad at being replaced by him?  Grow up kid.

If you saw Manning in the AFC Championship and Super Bowl, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about being replaced by him either.  Manning may not have lost the game for Denver, but he didn't exactly win it either, and Denver's offensive struggles certainly kept Carolina in the game longer than they should have.

9 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

You all seriously under estimate experience and the ability to call a game. 

It would have been a terrible decision to go with Brock over Manning during the playoffs.  The Broncos HAD to beat SD and the jump start Peyton provided got that done.  

While Manning wasn't as bad as he was memetically made out to be in big games, he also wasn't spectacular under the pressure of those games.  I think you're overrating Manning's experience here.  And of course, all of the experience in the world can't help you when your laser rocket arm has become a peashooter.

20 minutes ago, rams80 said:

While Manning wasn't as bad as he was memetically made out to be in big games, he also wasn't spectacular under the pressure of those games.  I think you're overrating Manning's experience here.  And of course, all of the experience in the world can't help you when your laser rocket arm has become a peashooter.

Manning won the Super Bowl, with a terrible arm.  Enough said.  

17 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Manning didn't lose the Super Bowl, with a terrible arm.  Enough said.  

Fixed that for you.

Christ on a cracker, Denver's offense could only score a TD if you gave them the ball inside the Carolina 5, and even then it took them 3 plays.  This should not have been a 1 possession game with 3:08 left in the 4th.

1 minute ago, rams80 said:

Fixed that for you.

Christ on a cracker, Denver's offense could only score a TD if you gave them the ball inside the Carolina 5, and even then it took them 3 plays.  This should not have been a 1 possession game with 3:08 left in the 4th.

You must have forgotten the opening drive where Manning took them down the field and got a field goal to start the game.  That drive set the tone of the game and allowed the D to just dominate.   

Was Manning amazing in that game?  Nope, not even close.   But he knew what it took to win the game.  It takes more than arm strength to win.  A player can lift a whole team and so many of the Broncos wanted to win for Manning.   His game calling and "sheriff" presence was a huge factor in the game.  I know its easy to pile on him for looking like a bum out there, but outside of that one pick, he actually played a decent game.   

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can honestly say I've never had a regert in my life.

As much as I think he's a douche, Eagles former and now de-facto current GM Howie Roseman is looking like the exec of the year so far.  Other than the Sam Bradford deal, every single re-signing, FA signing, and trade has been fantastic.  And if he does have a plan to move Bradford, then this could be their best offseason in a decade, pending the draft of course.

Gods I'm hoping Elway calls him up.  If the Broncos are cash strapped then they can't afford Bradford's absurd contract, but there is a way that the Eagles could wait until 3/18, pay his first bonus, then trade him and the receiving team would have a lower cap hit - which actually makes him more attractive on the market.  There's a potential that this contract was actually brilliant.

This wasn't your tattoo?

no-regerts-tatoo.jpg

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

You must have forgotten the opening drive where Manning took them down the field and got a field goal to start the game.  That drive set the tone of the game and allowed the D to just dominate.  

Was Manning amazing in that game?  Nope, not even close.   But he knew what it took to win the game.  It takes more than arm strength to win.  A player can lift a whole team and so many of the Broncos wanted to win for Manning.   His game calling and "sheriff" presence was a huge factor in the game.  I know its easy to pile on him for looking like a bum out there, but outside of that one pick, he actually played a decent game.   

Except for the minor problem where the field goal also gave Carolina hope because it showed that Denver was going to have trouble actually scoring.  And that was the longest drive, by far that Denver put together.  In the modern NFL, a field goal is still a stop.  The return TD was a far more devastating blow to Carolina than the field goal, hell, the punt return was a more devastating blow (tempered by the fact that "Sheriff" Manning couldn't punch it in despite getting the ball on Carolina's 14 :censored: ing yard line.)  "Sheriff" Manning basically led the Broncos offense to 6 points, which, sadly, is less than 10.  Grape job dude.

Seriously though, Osweiler could have gone 13-23 for 141 yards against Carolina.  At least.

Johnny Manziel: Released. Cut. Fired.