13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

There are only 28 guys in that pic. Arians is from Patterson, NJ, he is about to go to the Bada Bing to meet Tony and Silvio.  Tomlin looks too cool, hence him in the back corner and about 6 inches away from whichever new coach that is.  I think that's Adam Gase.

I don't see Jason Garrett, Bill Belichick (who is there but doing his own thing), Sean Payton and Andy Reid.

Belichick has opted out of the coach photo for many years, but did it for some reason last year without explanation.  Andy Reid is apparently having surgery.  No idea about the others.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

To play devil's advocate here, I think the Browns are doing the right thing by hoarding picks.  The problem is and always has been consistency & likemindedness in their management and head coaches.  I don't know how competent the new wave of Browns brass is, but logic would dictate they are brilliant compared to their predecessors.  Same goes for Hue Jackson, who seems like a reasonably competent, perhaps quietly brilliant hire that may be the guy they've wanted for years.  

They aren't going for the quick turnaround and are seemingly willing to let guys walk who will ultimately get them compensatory draft picks as further ammunition to start over in earnest.  

The FURTHER problem, unfortunately is that Browns fans have said the SAME things about new GMs and new head coaches.  They've started over so many times in the last decade that they've virtually dug their own grave with the shovels of pure incompetence.  Maybe hiring Hue away from Cincinnati was a smart call - if they're lucky they can get to the same level of passive, mildly competitive mediocrity that the Bengals have perfected.

Signing RG3 is probably a bad decision unless it's a very short, front loaded deal.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hey, NFL. It's great that you continue to try to make amends for completely botching the Bengals-Steelers playoff game, but unless you can build a time machine and make it right on the field this is just more infuriating. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hit-on-Gio-sparks-change-in-call/2ed82948-d39a-4adb-bc97-955accb16bd1

So you can no longer lead with the crown of your helmet outside of the tackle box. And here I was like an idiot thinking all helmet to helmet hits were already fouls. God this sport is stupid. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

To play devil's advocate here, I think the Browns are doing the right thing by hoarding picks.  The problem is and always has been consistency & likemindedness in their management and head coaches.  I don't know how competent the new wave of Browns brass is, but logic would dictate they are brilliant compared to their predecessors.  Same goes for Hue Jackson, who seems like a reasonably competent, perhaps quietly brilliant hire that may be the guy they've wanted for years.  

They aren't going for the quick turnaround and are seemingly willing to let guys walk who will ultimately get them compensatory draft picks as further ammunition to start over in earnest.  

The FURTHER problem, unfortunately is that Browns fans have said the SAME things about new GMs and new head coaches.  They've started over so many times in the last decade that they've virtually dug their own grave with the shovels of pure incompetence.  Maybe hiring Hue away from Cincinnati was a smart call - if they're lucky they can get to the same level of passive, mildly competitive mediocrity that the Bengals have perfected.

Signing RG3 is probably a bad decision unless it's a very short, front loaded deal.

When you take quarterbacks out of the equation, just about every team has a similar track record with drafting players.  There's no certainties or sure things.  It's all a coin flip.

How do you hit on more draft picks?  Simply have more picks to make.  Most teams will make 7-8 picks during the draft, and will hit on 3-4 of those.  If you can get yourself 10-12 picks and be able to get it right with 5-7 of those picks, you did yourself some favors.  It's the strategy New England has been using for years....trade a guy that's got a year or two of good play left and get a second round pick out of it; or trade your late first round pick and acquire a second round pick and another pick or two down the road.

At some point, though, Cleveland has to hit with a quarterback.  Drafted QB's that have some success tend to not reach free agency (and when your best free agent QB's are Oswiler and Fitzpatrick, that tells you how valued commodities QB's are), so that path is out.  And it's even more rare to be able to trade for a good QB.

If the Browns do choose the "let's slowly build this thing" road, they need to draft and develop a QB and keep the coaching staff intact for some time.

Who besides me remembers the days when for every Troy Aikman there was a Wade Wilson and/or Jason Garrett, for every Drew Bledsoe there was a Scott Zolak, for every Brett Favre a Matt Hasselbeck (& Mark Brunell for that matter), for every Phil Simms a Jeff Hostetler, for Every Dan Marino a Bernie Kosar and/or Scott Mitchell, for every Joe Montana a Steve Young--and for Young, a Steve Bono...and Rich Gannon...and Elvis Grbac--and for every Steve McNair a Chris Chandler, while at the same time competent serviceable journeymen like Dave Brown, Kent Graham, the aforementioned Chandler (I seriously think he might hold some kind of record for teams played with/started for), Eric Zeier and even the likes of Mark Rypien, Bobby Hebert and Billy Joe Tolliver existed?

What happened??

My guess would be general impatience on the part of coaching staffs and head brass egged on by the impatience of fan bases who didn't want to wait while teams actually developed quarterbacks. Remember those days...when teams had competent enough starters behind which they could afford to sit and develop their young backups? (That string of 49er QB's is the best example--each one of those guys went on to becone tenured starters somewhere. Same with the Green Bay QBs--no surprise Mike Holmgren was the common link.) Teams don't do that anymore. I think Peyton Manning messed it up for everybody--& if he didn't then Michael Vick surely did, because a/ they were both rookies who tasted success pretty much from day one, and b/ that was about the time everyone started looking for the next great "quick hit". That was also about the time those "old dependable serviceable journeen" fell out of vogue and out of the league, and ever since then, it seems to me the quality of quarterbacking just hasn't been the same. 

I think the other thing that caused it, slow as it was, was expansion. Inside a ten year span, three teams were added to the league--Jacksonville, Carolina and the Texans. By the time the Texans stood up back in '02 (?) I personally think the QB talent pool got stretched thinner than it had already become by that point (recalling the disappearance of those aforementioned dependable journeymen about that same timeframe). From then to now, I can probably count on one hand the number of actual quality tenured starters that have entered the league. Fewer quality QB's plus impatient head brass, coaching staffs and fanbases (meaning less if ANY time to develop future quality QBs) all got us to the point we're at now.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To "rebuild", don't you have to have been "built"?

If you weren't "built", then you're just "building".  The Browns will be forever building.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

To "rebuild", don't you have to have been "built"?

If you weren't "built", then you're just "building".  The Browns will be forever building.

The Browns are like the Lord of Swamp Castle:

Unlike the Lord of Swamp Castle, they've never built a castle that could stay up.

On 3/21/2016 at 2:52 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Ugh... The more I look at Adam Gase, the more I see the resemblance to Lane Kiffin.

I had scroll away from the picture three times until I convinced myself that WASN'T Lane Kiffin.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

21 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Alfred Morris is a Cowboy. I'm stoked about the pickup. He's going to be a good fit behind the Cowboys' o-line. 

Morris should be a nice compliment/change of pace to Run DMC. And with Dunbar back in the fold, Dallas's running game should be fine.

Now; can we still see them draft a RB, like Elliott from Ohio State? Probably. Although, I think with Morris's signing; Dallas is going to defensive with their first pick. Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, DeForrest Buckner; one of those prospects will be a Cowboy come draft day.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

5 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Morris should be a nice compliment/change of pace to Run DMC. And with Dunbar back in the fold, Dallas's running game should be fine.

Now; can we still see them draft a RB, like Elliott from Ohio State? Probably. Although, I think with Morris's signing; Dallas is going to defensive with their first pick. Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, DeForrest Buckner; one of those prospects will be a Cowboy come draft day.

Freddy's close to done. His yards per carry has dramatically fallen. He had over 1,100 total touches in WAS (w/ the most rushing attempts for all RBs in the last four seasons) plus another 1,000 touches at FAU.

Yards Per Carry:

2012: 4.8

2013: 4.6

2014: 4.1

2015: 3.7

If they really don't wish to draft a RB at #4 or #34 and see the likes of a Kenyon Drake, Kenneth Dixon, Devontae Booker, Paul Perkins, or CJ Prosise available in the 3rd round, Morris could be cut.

52 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Hmm, I don't think we're going to take a RB with the 4th anymore. I'd love to have Zeke and I'd think he'd be a perennial Pro-Bowler in Dallas, but the RB is just not a huge need for us anymore. If Ramsey is there, the Cowboys are definitely drafting him. I really hope we don't pick Bosa. He's a solid player but not one that's worthy of that high of a draft pick. 

Personally, I'd love it if the Cowboys picked up Jack. I think he's the best player in the draft period and the player with the most potential. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

13 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Personally, I'd love it if the Cowboys picked up Jack. I think he's the best player in the draft period and the player with the most potential. 

Yeah, Myles Jack would be an excellent pickup. Add an athletic talent to the LB corp as well as adding depth to a murky position.

Lee at weakside LB, McClain in the middle LB and Jack at the strong side LB; that'd be a really great starting LB corp. for Opening Day.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived