366 Days of Baseball Uniforms - Day 50 posted

JayJaxon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 1, 2016 at 0:41 PM, jayjackson3 said:

DAY 32

DAY%2032.png

Is there a story behind why the Athletics went from a Blue/White team to the Green/Yellow/White of today?  Was it just simply "hey, let's do something different" or was there something that happened that made the green/yellow/white decision for them.  The Philly As had that look for a long time, even when they moved to Kansas City, that it is just unusual for a team to radically change their colors like that.

DAY 37

DAY%2037.png

davidrpaige, For the Athletics, they switched to blue and red right before they went to Kansas City, then yellow and green right before the move to Oakland.  A team will change their team colors for many reasons.  I do know in the Athletics case, they got into the very vibrant colored uniforms because of color television.  When they went to Yellow and green in 1963, no other team was utilizing green and only the Pirates had yellow as a secondary color. Perhaps owner Charles O. Finley wanted to stand out.  He is also the one who switched the team to white cleats which they still wear to this day. 

I have a question as a extremely casual baseball fan, If baffles me why people care about what kind of uniform a team wears for batting practice... I mean like on this page, you post the batting practice uniforms like the rest of the regular uniforms. Does anyone know the particular reason for this? Because in every other sport the practice jersey means absolutely nothing...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

DAY 42

DAY%2042.png

chcarlson23, excellent question.  I actually have no idea why this is the case.  Batting practice caps and jerseys are pushed on baseball fans just as much as the regular stuff.  But it seems to be a big money maker for MLB.  As long as they make money off it, they will continue to push it on fans.  Imagine if the NFL had practice helmets with alternate logos for the fans to buy! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived