buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

Recommended Posts

I like it. Just could've done without the pants wordmark and the overly designed font. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, it's funny. I think I like it more now that I can see it in a full mockup and in some of OSU's more common combos (like Black-Orange-Black) instead of with that white chrome helmet or all-orange.

 

OKState%202016.jpg?dl=0

 

I still don't think it was an overall improvement from the previous set, considering how much I loved that original barbed-wire striping and had hoped it would become a lasting element for the program, but at the very least it'll shake up the usual combos now that everything has a bit of both white and grey in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, am not a fan of the large Cowboy on the helmet. Fine for a secondary logo but not for the helmet. Can you imagine Nebraska using their guy on the helmet? Not good. OSU is perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Here's another shot of the uniforms with one of their more traditional helmets. 

wDzBGUi.png

 

how a little bit of taste and element repetition (the helmet stripe treated same as number) can improve a uniform. from this shot, it appears the stripe and number are the same width, as well as the key strokes. thats proper attention to detail if so. still, the number font is overkil - they just try to do too many things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frosty06306 said:

People... come on - I know they're made by our supreme overlord, Nike, but those are an absolute mess.

Aside from the chrome, what about any of this is a mess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Aside from the chrome, what about any of this is a mess?

 

Cowboys down the pant leg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Okie State is a downgrade to me, their previous set was far superior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, razorback447 said:

 

Cowboys down the pant leg. 

That's it? A commonly used motiff in uniform design now is a mess? How is that anything close to a mess? The Cowboys is just in place of a pants stripe, that's it. No big deal. I don't mind saying it's a bad uniform, you can think whatever you want. I just don't get how "mess" comes to mind with the pretty damn clean uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

That's it? A commonly used motiff in uniform design now is a mess? How is that anything close to a mess? The Cowboys is just in place of a pants stripe, that's it. No big deal. I don't mind saying it's a bad uniform, you can think whatever you want. I just don't get how "mess" comes to mind with the pretty damn clean uniform.

 

i would lean closer to "mess" than "clean", which sounds weird to say because all of Nike's 2015 designs were so clean (minus TCU). starting with the textures/finishes, the chrome helmets with the chrome mask are there and will be used and add in the reflective material - you have a uniform that is a copy of a copy of the 2010 Pro Combat series. these things don't make the uniform feel fresh at all, it feels cheap and tacky. add in the old logo which is a poorly drawn cartoon expanded as large as possible on the helmet, and you're advertising bad art as loud as possible. the old logo really clashes with the modern trendy elements here too.

 

the number font has many cuts and angles in it that almost feels like the digits are exploding because there are shapes going in every direction. it's at least 1 idea too many in this font. as much as i like the Paisley print on the collar, i don't like it on the cuffs. it makes ssense to put it around the neck but the cuffs are overkill. 

 

the reflective Cowboys wordmark is bad enough by itself but of all the things to put on the leg, the team's nickname was the worse choice. we already know this is a "Cowboys" team from the logos, the pattern . . it's not always clear that it's OSU, and i would like to see the school represented a little more. a hip logo would have done just fine.

 

like i said yesterday, the colors are always nice, the paisley print is very well done, and the Marshall badge is a cool touch. the white helmet's stripe is much better than the others and feels the size/width was done to match the numbers. but this is overall average at best. they say "built for the future" when it's obviously built for right now. designer Massimo Vignelli once described "junk" as something "trendy, phony, insensitive in details, no elegance, not strong, no lasting value" - i think that's a fairly close description of this uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's that time of year again, when the college football thread is in full swing again! :lol: 

 

While its not perfect, i like the number font and Paisley,the name down the side of the pants isnt good but i can bear it, the chrome helmets are just awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chrome needs to tie a quick and painful death.

 

I'm not totally against these, but I just think its a downgrade from the last set.  I think the 4 colors don't work as well with the new set.  The bandanna pattern/texture/whatever is nice, it works, but it just makes me think that its Florida State's thing... the pattern collar.

 

The helmets continue to be a complete disaster.  They don't know what they are going for.  They continue to have a stripe on the helmet that doesn't match anything else in the uniform.  Pants wordmarks are the worst.  No other way to describe it.  I hate it.  Even so, its Oregon's or Arkansas's thing. 

 

I think they could have improved on the existing uniforms by just getting rid of the stripe taper and giving them a custom font... and of course fixing the car crash helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2016 at 0:22 PM, StateBass said:

OKState%202016.jpg?dl=0

 

 

The helmet stripe is really lame...black/chrome/black looks kinda ridiculous on a matte black helmet.  Should have just gone with the single chrome stripe.  Or make some part of the stripes orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

 

i would lean closer to "mess" than "clean", which sounds weird to say because all of Nike's 2015 designs were so clean (minus TCU). starting with the textures/finishes, the chrome helmets with the chrome mask are there and will be used and add in the reflective material - you have a uniform that is a copy of a copy of the 2010 Pro Combat series. these things don't make the uniform feel fresh at all, it feels cheap and tacky. add in the old logo which is a poorly drawn cartoon expanded as large as possible on the helmet, and you're advertising bad art as loud as possible. the old logo really clashes with the modern trendy elements here too.

 

the number font has many cuts and angles in it that almost feels like the digits are exploding because there are shapes going in every direction. it's at least 1 idea too many in this font. as much as i like the Paisley print on the collar, i don't like it on the cuffs. it makes ssense to put it around the neck but the cuffs are overkill. 

 

the reflective Cowboys wordmark is bad enough by itself but of all the things to put on the leg, the team's nickname was the worse choice. we already know this is a "Cowboys" team from the logos, the pattern . . it's not always clear that it's OSU, and i would like to see the school represented a little more. a hip logo would have done just fine.

 

like i said yesterday, the colors are always nice, the paisley print is very well done, and the Marshall badge is a cool touch. the white helmet's stripe is much better than the others and feels the size/width was done to match the numbers. but this is overall average at best. they say "built for the future" when it's obviously built for right now. designer Massimo Vignelli once described "junk" as something "trendy, phony, insensitive in details, no elegance, not strong, no lasting value" - i think that's a fairly close description of this uniform. 

Hmm, well that's a lot more elegant than I could've ever described this uniform. I agree that the chrome is awful and needs to go away, but I feel like the rest of the uniform is fine. Yeah, there are too many helmet options, but I don't think that's enough to really call this a mess. It's relatively plain looking overall. I think calling this a mess when southern miss's old uniforms existed just seems like an exaggeration. These aren't the greatest uniforms ever I agree, but they are far from awful. I guess it's just a manner of the word "mess". Just doesn't fit a uniform that has that little going on imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what bugs me more about Ok State is their inability to retain some continuity in their helmet designs. For just about each Big 12 team you can instantly envision the one helmet they're currently known for but the Cowboys have adopted and embraced a mess of failed ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to really like the number font. 

 

Oklahoma State has had the Chrome Cowboy helmets for at least 2-3 years now. Why are we acting like they just released them? They'd be much better at a normal size and chrome-free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.