College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

Techfit/shockweb annoyance - the numbers are stitched in a hyper-v shape \ /.  Just stitch it regular.

Other than that, those Miami throwback are awesome.  The stripes don't bother me.  It wouldn't feel right if they were corrected.

Mississippi State's Patriots tribute is really odd. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, chrome14 said:

It didn't match back in the 80s either so it is accurate.

But if they're really switching to these full-time, then it's not really a "throwback" anymore and they should fix it.

I'm also disappointed that Miami didn't get the template that UCLA got. Somehow, it's fine to have an ugly tire-tread pattern everywhere and super-stretchy material that warps all the design elements, but the mismatched stripes are treated with the same reverence as the Yankees' pinstripes.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, BenjiJ said:

This is kind of interesting. Against Eastern Washington, WSU wore a crimson face mask for the first time since going from silver to flat gray.

Image result for washington state vs eastern washington 2016

That was good, but then for the Idaho game, they put the crimson facemask on the crimson helmet...

Image result for washington state vs idaho 2016

Thoughts?

Gray helmet with crimson mask is nice.  All crimson helmet is meh.

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

The crimson mask on the crimson helmet is better than the white facemask that's usually on it IMO. But it's still not great.

I kinda disagree, but not by much.  I still think they should go back to one silver (yep, not gray) helmet and call it a day.

8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

But if they're really switching to these full-time, then it's not really a "throwback" anymore and they should fix it.

Colorado switched to a throwback full-time.  It can be done.

5 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I'm also disappointed that Miami didn't get the template that UCLA got. Somehow, it's fine to have an ugly tire-tread pattern everywhere and super-stretchy material that warps all the design elements, but the mismatched stripes are treated with the same reverence as the Yankees' pinstripes.

Technically, they are not "throwbacks". Adidas is calling these "Legends Of The U" jerseys, a new take on the classic Miami jerseys of the 80s and early 90s.

The last time Miami's helmet stripe and pant stripes matched, I believe, was in 1977.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Colorado switched to a throwback full-time.  It can be done.

I've always thought that the word "throwback" in the context of sports branding refers to old uniforms that are brought back as alternates or one-offs - not full-time. Once you adopt them as a full-time, year-round set, they just become your regular uniforms again.

For instance, nobody refers to the Giants' or Jets' uniforms as "throwbacks" even though they both brought back old uniforms full-time. But the Giants' Color Rush uniforms and the Jets' New York Titans unis are throwbacks.

Maybe I'm off-base here, but that's how I perceive it. If Miami only brought back the dynasty-era uniforms for a game or two, they'd be throwbacks. Instead, they're coming back full-time, so they aren't throwbacks, they're just Miami's uniforms. And that means it's okay to sacrifice total historical accuracy for aesthetic improvements, like the Giants initially did when they made the road jerseys match the home jerseys instead of being exact replicas of the ones they wore in the '50s.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

While I prefer Miami in a more modern uniform (not like the current ones), I can't deny how amazing these ones look. The inconsistent striping is a tad-bit annoying, though it's not nearly enough to bring down the entire set.

Well stated @Lights Out. If they are going to roll with throwback-inspired uniforms all the time (which, good on them), then they might as well make them even better.  

You don't even have to change the stripes on the orange jersey and pants... just the white jersey and pants. You would then have the "numbers one color/middle stripe the other color" motif running between both uniforms in addition to the helmet stripes lining up.

I'm really diggin' South Carolina's garnet helmet. The black one though? Not so much. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason it's just not working for me. I suppose it's that it doesn't look as "South Carolina" to me as a white or garnet helmet does.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Miami looks great.  I think not having one orange glove and one green glove, so it matches the logo when they hold up the "U," instead of the logo is a mistake but it's a pretty minor quip.  I would have liked to see the striping fixed, though.  That's the first thing Adidas has done that I've liked in a long, long time.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived