College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are nice though they look just like those Oklahoma Pro Combat throwbacks from 2009. I like that they made the stripe go through the nose bumper. No clue what's going on with the two tone silver and white mask. With Miami and A&M, I think we've seen a resurgence from adidas. Solid designs with traditional stripes without any stretched out or tin foil looking numbers.

For comparison's sake:

lead620.jpg

30 minutes ago, benpc21 said:

^^^^^I think the two tone silver and white mask is an attempt at the old style single bar masks worn when the jerseys were around. I think you have to see the comparison picture to get that reference.

That thought crossed my mind but I just don't think it works.

29 minutes ago, benpc21 said:

^^^^^I think the two tone silver and white mask is an attempt at the old style single bar masks worn when the jerseys were around. I think you have to see the comparison picture to get that reference.

That's stupid, just go with all grey face masks then, it's what they would have done if they had today's face masks. Trying to mimick a single barred face mask on today's helmets is pointless. 

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Speaking of the Apple Cup, it's a shame we never got to see a matchup of these uniforms:

AdoqGqh.jpg

I liked these...the weird thing is there wasn't a road set that matched.  This home crimson set was worn in 1999, but the 1999 away set was the same away unis worn in 1998, which had Arial shadow numbers.  In 2000, they went the the WSU logo on the helmets, the Broncos-esque striping, and block-shadow numbers on both home and away.

Washington State's basketball team used the font shown in the picture above for a number of years.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, Sk2k said:

i think its more about the message and not the actual skyline

It's a fine message.  But the message is only communicated properly if the skyline is recognizable enough to be iconic.  Most cities' skylines are recognizable to their respective residents.  But if a skyline isn't recognizable to outsiders, then it doesn't really work as a shorthand representation of the city.

I could do a tribute to the NYPD featuring a depiction of the skyline of Staten Island -- but who'd recognize it?  Sports logo geeks know that the skyline in the Mets' logo is an artificial composite of buildings from multiple boroughs, but the average non-New Yorker can still pick out the Empire State Building and think "New York City."  A Seattle team could put up a nondescript skyline alongside the Space Needle; that would probably be good enough.  But I never thought of Dallas as having any landmarks as iconic as the Empire State Building, Space Needle, Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.  Do others disagree?

I'm a huge huge fan of the white vt on the orange helmet. They are the same helmets that they wore last year vs OSU, but with a new logo and stripes. The white helmet is the only one that doesn't fit with the rest of the helmet rotation 

Here's what will actually be worn for ASU, as it looks like the graphic they had on twitter was done before they made the switch on the helmet. Breaking out the black pitchfork on the maroon helmet, same one they wore for the Cactus Bowl last year. Works with the black pitchfork on the pants, but definitely not my favorite "Maroon Monsoon" uni. Hate that they're wearing white cleats with it... Week 4: ASU via Uniformity

11878328_G.jpg 11878396_G.jpg11878406_G.jpg

Archived