buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

18 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

Remember when the Ducks wore volt and everyone was jumping on them for wearing a Nike "corporate color" even though Nike's corpo colors are orange and white. WELL LOOK AT THEM NOW lol

I can't seem to like these either. We have officially jumped ship in terms of uniform awesomeness. The lack of cohesion is very hard to watch. One week we nail it, the next three we look like clowns. It just doesn't seem that hard to me to please the fans, the players, and people who like good design. The Rose Bowl uniforms 2 years ago were gorgeous, those need to be the base home set. Make a white version, a yellow reverse version, and pants to match. Maybe throw in a black version for the 'cruits and call it a day. 

They essentially had a full set of those Rose Bowl (well actually Alamo Bowl since they were initially released for the 2013 Alamo Bowl) uniforms, save for a yellow version.  I think Oregon may have gone to those full-time had Nike not created another uniform template so quickly to replace them.

a5c865d237b4cebd460336fc13e31d4e_crop_no

15-ODFB-Oregon-Vs-Michigan-St-0371-e1442

b1f296722e07e7a424d1b7a8ae284b95_crop_nohi-res-3da5844a5435a4f8f4d2ce83ec6dafe3_

635801151173198679-Washington-St-Oregon-

Those Oregon uniforms are pretty dumb. No dumber than half of the other things they've come out with. As per usual though, you can simply say "replace dumb non-school colors with school colors" and you have a solid uniform. 

I think Oregon is now a victim of always bring cutting edge with its uniforms. They have run out of ideas and they really don't have a consistent look to fall back on. They should have had one with the apple green retro looks in the past but they had to change it up for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

I think Oregon is now a victim of always bring cutting edge with its uniforms. They have run out of ideas and they really don't have a consistent look to fall back on. They should have had one with the apple green retro looks in the past but they had to change it up for whatever reason.

Thats kind of my thoughts at the moment regarding them also. If you're going to "push the envelope", you can only do it for so long before you start desperately grasping for ideas to stay ahead. While I give them kudos for sticking with school colors, the Duck uniforms appear to me to be more of an attempt to push anything new out for the sake of it than a "new and fresh" sort of thing. And I'm not surprised, either: everything after Mariota - even down to the number font - has been the most mediocre of all their designs solely in terms of composition and concept since they started this whole "push the envelope" thing. 

Now, I want to be clear that there have been looks they've cranked out that I've really liked (the Mariota rose bowl set being one of the tops for me). It hasn't at all been all bad. But this was always my biggest objection with the way Oregon's operated: sooner or later, the ideas would run out and they'd be scrambling at the drawing board. At the end of the day, you just can't sustain it. You need brand consistency to fall back on. Heck, you need a brand. 

At this point, I think they'd be better off doing one of two things: 1) settle on a modern look to still be "the kewl school", but keep it and establish a brand off of that, or 2) go throwback full-time (any throwback), push it as a "what's old is new" sort of thing, and go from there. I mean, Throwback Thursday is a thing and you know how popular throwback merchandise in general is all across sports? If I had a dollar for every Mitchell and Ness item I've seen on campus...anyways, the point there is I'm sure kewl kids will still eat it up if it's pushed right. 

Either way, Oregon needs to establish consistency somewhere. The experiment has run its course now.

The new Oregon uniform looks fine. It shouldn't be getting the heat it's getting. At least it's not some weird ass mono-color that has no relation to team and school colors. It's clever and will be fun to see.

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

You are right that at least this specialty uniform has a direct connection to the school, whereas say the Lewis and Clark uniforms from last season had nothing to do with the university itself and was all about the state and the expedition out west. And at least this uniform actually utilizes school colors. I'm still not a huge fan of this uniform though, and I definitely wish they could've found a way to honor the Duck without using their rival's main color. Having said that, they did use some restraint in this overall design and I'm grateful for that. The jersey is fairly nice overall and can be used interchangeably with the rest of their uniform elements. As someone joked earlier, they didn't try to mimic the yellow cape that the Duck wears, and they didn't go the Louisville route and introduce a wild helmet with a robo/zombie-chicken looking illustration of their mascot. I'm still not sold on this look, and it is becoming apparent that they're either running out of ideas or trying to hard to maintain their reputation as being the leaders in uniforms and innovation. I can sympathize with Nike and Oregon a little bit because it is hard to try and keep coming up with new ideas, similar to how it would be difficult to come up with book or movie sequels, so I'm hoping this is just a little rough patch. In my mind they're experimenting more these last couple of years and I'm hopeful that they start getting more in tune with the public opinion to see which of their ideas have been well received and which ones haven't. Hopefully they use that information to find their new niche and get back on track.

Well, they can always just stop.  Is that not an option?

1 hour ago, msubulldog said:

#WhiteOut for Georgia Tech:  

Those helmets look practically yellow, they should have put the glitter on the helmet to make it look white.

I think the Oregon uniforms would be beautiful if they just made the facemask and socks green.  I actually think it's a really clever idea for a uniform, but the orange looks really out of place (not to mention that's Oregon State's color).  Great idea, but being slightly off on the execution ruined it IMO.

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The new Oregon uniform looks fine. It shouldn't be getting the heat it's getting. At least it's not some weird ass mono-color that has no relation to team and school colors. It's clever and will be fun to see.

I think it's pretty embarrassing to design a football uniform that's an homage to donald duck.

23 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I think it's pretty embarrassing to design a football uniform that's an homage to donald duck.

It's like the gators wearing green helmets, and white face masks with green shoes and socks to mimick their mascots. Both would look stupid with elements completely out of place.

Yea I'm not registering the overreactions to Oregon's latest uniform. It'll come and go just like every other one-off they've done. 

I think the uniform looks fine, and of course, Oregon's thing now is a one-off for every single game.  I do wish they would scale back and wear a traditional green and yellow set for maybe, say, half their games.  But that is what everybody else does.  My favorite: The rich, dark green shiny helmet with the yellow O.  Love to see it for 5-6 games a season, but I doubt it will ever happen.  I think this week;s jerseys are a solid A. 

newducks_helmet.jpg

4 hours ago, msubulldog said:

#WhiteOut for Georgia Tech:  

What are Georgia Tech's colors even? Gold? Navy? White? Black?

IMG_2178.PNG

I'm OK with it.  I hate the pattern/texture on the helmet; I think it looks like a plastic folding table.  I think going solid orange all the way down from knee to cleats is a bit much, but they have their reasons.  They already have some subtlety (no duck eye helmet, no yellow yoke), so I think breaking up all that orange might have made it a better looking uniform.  That being said, I like how the bright colors all come together; if they wore the orange with a black/volt jersey, it would be completely different.  It still makes me think of Oregon, because I'm used to seeing the Duck's orange.  As a casual college football fan 2,500 miles away, I don't give a hoot about Oregon State.

Oregon's football uni looks more like a disco duck than their mascot.  Cue the Rick Dees 1970s song, maybe they will play it when the football team runs onto the field before their game LOL.

I have no problems with the Oregon uniform as a fun one off. Even if it does look like Miami at first glance.

Ducks need to bring back the satin green helmet. One of my favorite helmets, it was perfect