College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

I dont post but mainly view the various topics on the board. I'm a WVU alum and have always wondered how Nike, Adidas, UA decide which schools get alternates. It seems as if everyone is getting new weekly threads on top of what they have. My question is, why is WVU  never getting any alternates or anything new. We do have our current uniforms that are about 4 years old with a gold,blue,white helmet and same colors for pants and jerseys. I'm not a big fan of them but I wish Nike would really invest time in doing WVU some justice. I feel like our combinations are just slapped together. the flying WV is a well known symbol. I'm just a frustrated fan that wishes WVU would get some love our way. I'm tired is seeing teams like Rutgers, Oklahoma State and others get blessed with new unis on top of what they already have. Thoughts?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, YesterdayWasCool said:

WV has had grey alts in the past, and were part of Nike's Pro Combats back in 09 if I remember correctly (personally my favorite of the Pro Combats) and they had a new helmet this year in the season opener. And it might me Nike coming to them with alts, and Dana or AD saying No.

The grey unis we used our first year in the Big XII. Dana had us use them cause grey was in and they used it when he was with Weeden at Oklahoma State(I hated those). The pro Combat were so nice and the best IMO. You might be right about our AD Lyons and Holgs denying it which is stupid. I hope they get a refresh soon. The gold unis are bad with the blue under the arm pit area. We wore then against BYU last week and this week against K State we are wearing gold unis, gold lids and blue pants. and the black they added to our blue unis is not needed. I like what Cal is since we are compared to them. Personally the all white combo which everyone uses is my favorite.

ASU is wearing W/W/B against USC on Saturday.

I don't mind this look, but definitely not my favorite. I think there's a good balance of the white and black, and just enough maroon and gold too, but think it'd be better with black numbers. Should still be a good contrast against the traditional home unis of USC.

Uniformity: ASU Week 5 @ USC

11992436_G.jpg11992437_G.jpg11992438_G.jpg

It's the first time since 2013 when they wore it at Stanford, but first time since Adidas took over.

image.php?i=674223.jpg

34 minutes ago, razorback447 said:

I'm not going to lie, I actually thought these looked really good on TV last night. 

As a whole I thought they looked okay. But their whole set I think could benefit from some silver trim. Sleeve stripes, numbers, etc. the numbers got lost just a little bit but wasn't a terrible issue. A dark gray helmet with their usual red white red double outlined logo would've looked much better. The helmet decals were unrecognizable even from close up. Overall much better than their past few black alternates. 

19 minutes ago, nuordr said:

I loved that Texas Tech put the Red back into Red Raiders last night. 

TT 1.PNG

TT 2.jpg

TT 4.jpg

Outstanding looking game. I think that is the best that both Tech and Kansas will look all season. Beautiful helmets for Tech.

One thing though, is that a red to chrome fade on the Kansas facemask?

4 hours ago, Hypnotic said:

I dont post but mainly view the various topics on the board. I'm a WVU alum and have always wondered how Nike, Adidas, UA decide which schools get alternates. It seems as if everyone is getting new weekly threads on top of what they have. My question is, why is WVU  never getting any alternates or anything new. We do have our current uniforms that are about 4 years old with a gold,blue,white helmet and same colors for pants and jerseys. I'm not a big fan of them but I wish Nike would really invest time in doing WVU some justice. I feel like our combinations are just slapped together. the flying WV is a well known symbol. I'm just a frustrated fan that wishes WVU would get some love our way. I'm tired is seeing teams like Rutgers, Oklahoma State and others get blessed with new unis on top of what they already have. Thoughts?

There's a lot that goes in to new alternates.  A lot of it is on the AD for requesting and paying for them.  It's also on the supplier for coming up with potential ideas and executing them.  Alts also don't come at short notice so they need to be planned well in advance of the planned wear date.  New helmets tend not to take as long as an entirely new uniform would.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

KU is a mess

Do you mean with their uniforms or their football playing? 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

UNC unis in that tweet are phenomenal...but again it's gonna take me awhile to not think of the argyle as gravytraining their hoops program (Michigan - looking at you as well).

Houston's charcoal could have used a light color outline on the numerals, light silver or white.  From television standpoint couldn't see the finer elements of the design.

1 hour ago, Derek94 said:

UNC unis in that tweet are phenomenal...but again it's gonna take me awhile to not think of the argyle as gravytraining their hoops program (Michigan - looking at you as well).

Houston's charcoal could have used a light color outline on the numerals, light silver or white.  From television standpoint couldn't see the finer elements of the design.

What are talking about with Michigan?  Neither of those programs are gravytraining off one another since they're both pretty successful on their own.

2 hours ago, Derek94 said:

The point of most college athletic departments is to gravytrain off their sports' successes.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Found this on Twitter and Instagram from an Oregon recruit:

IMG_2262.PNG

I'm a little bit disappointed that it uses the Alamo Bowl wing pattern again rather than the shattered glass wing pattern but it's nice to see the green helmets return (and it looks like regularly colored Duck logos are on the helmets rather than monochrome logos), and the green pants provide a nice balance as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived