buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

12 minutes ago, radchad said:

From a friend:

"Washington fans will have to wait another year to have visual evidence they beat Oregon for the first time in 13 years."

FTFY. We may go down to the Huskies this time around but we still hold pride in our 12 years of dominance. I'm happy to say that I'm at an age where I cannot remember the last loss to the Huskies (I'm 18) and that's pretty cool IMO. That will likely change on Saturday but might as well cherish it until then.

Oregon has officially jumped the shark. 

So I get some sort of membership card for saying this right?

17 minutes ago, radchad said:

From a friend:

"Washington fans will have to wait another year to have visual evidence they beat Oregon for the first time in a decade."

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Don't jinx us.

5 hours ago, upperV03 said:

And the argument that "you're not allowed to have more costumes than wins" is ridiculous.

No, it's not.

Maryland does the crazy uniform thing too, being to UA what Oregon is to Nike and all. And yeah, they get a bit of press when they unveil their newest clownsuit. It all goes away though, because they're still Maryland and they still suck. Oregon only made the weekly dress-up show thing work (in so far as having no real brand "works") because they won when doing it.

Almost seems like developing a winning culture and having a qualified coaching staff does more to make a team good/more attractive to recruits than ugly uniforms that piss all over school tradition. 

3 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

Incarnate Word vs. Texas State from this past Saturday

UIW Upended by Texas State, 48-17

3 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

Incarnate Word vs. Texas State from this past Saturday

UIW Upended by Texas State, 48-17

It seems like my alma mater has differed from using "Bobcats" on all their colored jerseys. I know for years their white jerseys have been the only ones to say "Texas State" on them.

I loved when Oregon broke this out for the spring game. The khaki pants are better than black. I adore the jersey, and honestly wouldn't be upset if Oregon of the future dumped the Ducks and went back to the Webfoots full time. It's fantastic. I think its a bit too much for a normal regular season game like this. A spring game is the perfect game to honor the history of the school, or even the homecoming game (my argument for an Auburn alternate/throwback would be to wear it on homecoming). 

I think comparing Maryland to Oregon today doesn't mean as much as it did a few years ago. Yea, Maryland gets some attention when they release something new. But the keyword here is WHEN. They haven't done anything big in a while now. Yea, Under Armour wants them to be what Oregon is to Nike, but they've toned that back tremendously over the last few years. Not sure why, whether that be the school, the coaching, or even Under Armour themselves. 

I'm glad they're going with the black pants. Khaki would be one more color in a set that already has one too many colors. Khaki pants with some other color replacing the rest of the black would be ideal.

On 10/2/2016 at 9:06 PM, AndrewMLind said:

It's every helmet style. And Ohio State started painting its helmet stripes last season. The 3D bumper is new this year, as is the Tote Nation stickers for running backs. It's similar to Zone 6 stickers for wideouts. 

I know they painted the "Dark Knight" shells, but as far as I can tell tOSU used stripes on their traditional helmets.  Here's a good shot of Zeke in the National Championship game.

7530978418ccf9ac6f447baa624e0754.jpg

14 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

I think comparing Maryland to Oregon today doesn't mean as much as it did a few years ago. Yea, Maryland gets some attention when they release something new. But the keyword here is WHEN. They haven't done anything big in a while now. Yea, Under Armour wants them to be what Oregon is to Nike, but they've toned that back tremendously over the last few years. Not sure why, whether that be the school, the coaching, or even Under Armour themselves. 

im with you. UA/Maryland has just tried to out-Nike Nike since they became the UA flagship school. Nike still sets the trends that everyone follows and it begins with Oregon. over teh past 2 years the nike redesigns have become very simple and timeless even (Colorado, Tennessee, Army, Wake Forest, etc) and this throwback Oregon uniform which we're seeing for the second time now, falls in line with those other rebrands. Nike/Oregon has come out with 2 strong concepts this year with these throwbacks and the duck uniform, while UA, save for Notre Dame which is an obvious one you dont touch much, still tries to scream louder than Nike of 2 years ago; especially with Maryland. Nike is focused on ideas (and ones that last now) while everyone else is seeing the trends they started in 2010 to the very end. 

Maryland has done some beautiful work, like the airbrushed helmets, but when they're focused on being louder, while Oregon focuses on actual ideas/concepts (mixed with all their primary variations), i wouldn't compare the two too closely. and i can't see at all how "Oregon is running out of ideas" when this is literally a new idea, even if theres a little help from a past uniform/colors

2 hours ago, JPDesign said:

At this point, I think we just need to accept that these are Oregon's official colors:

color-wheel.jpg

It's literally stated in their style guide that any color in the rainbow can be used for uniform purposes.

43 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im with you. UA/Maryland has just tried to out-Nike Nike since they became the UA flagship school. Nike still sets the trends that everyone follows and it begins with Oregon. over teh past 2 years the nike redesigns have become very simple and timeless even (Colorado, Tennessee, Army, Wake Forest, etc) and this throwback Oregon uniform which we're seeing for the second time now, falls in line with those other rebrands. Nike/Oregon has come out with 2 strong concepts this year with these throwbacks and the duck uniform, while UA, save for Notre Dame which is an obvious one you dont touch much, still tries to scream louder than Nike of 2 years ago; especially with Maryland. Nike is focused on ideas (and ones that last now) while everyone else is seeing the trends they started in 2010 to the very end. 

Maryland has done some beautiful work, like the airbrushed helmets, but when they're focused on being louder, while Oregon focuses on actual ideas/concepts (mixed with all their primary variations), i wouldn't compare the two too closely. and i can't see at all how "Oregon is running out of ideas" when this is literally a new idea, even if theres a little help from a past uniform/colors

The problem Oregon has is they have no standard set to fall back on right now.  So far, there's been 4 one-off designs with another 2 (the Vapor Untouchable ones first introduced at the Alamo Bowl) that seem to be the basis for the base design but hasn't been fully embraced by them either.  Nike and Oregon have gone from wearing one or two one-off designs a year to wearing them nearly every other game.  That's just a bad ratio.

Some looks for this weekend: 

Cincinnati.PNG

Maryland.PNG

North Texas.PNG

UCF.PNG

4 hours ago, nuordr said:

Maryland.PNG

Speaking of Maryland, is that a sublimated Byrd Stadium in the shoulders of the jersey for this week? Looks like a weird promo graphic but maybe they are going with that.

1 hour ago, NickNolanPhD said:

Interesting practice jersey. The wing pattern is better than the Alamo Bowl jerseys at least. 

Funny you say that because it's the exact same wing pattern as the Alamo Bowl jerseys, it's just more visible because it's black rather than silver/white. And apparently these practice jerseys feature some sort of new Nike technology so Oregon is testing it out.

1 hour ago, benpc21 said:

Speaking of Maryland, is that a sublimated Byrd Stadium in the shoulders of the jersey for this week? Looks like a weird promo graphic but maybe they are going with that.

I think it's just part of the media design. Putting a field design on the jerseys would be really busy.

6 hours ago, nuordr said:

Spoiler

North Texas.PNG

North Texas declaring which "Armour" they're going to use while being a Nike school. Odd. 

Arkansas State's combo for Wednesday night. 

ASU1.png

9 hours ago, awuestenfeld said:

I know they painted the "Dark Knight" shells, but as far as I can tell tOSU used stripes on their traditional helmets.  Here's a good shot of Zeke in the National Championship game.

7530978418ccf9ac6f447baa624e0754.jpg

That was two seasons ago. Started wearing painted helmets at Virginia Tech nine months later.